Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really disappointed in the quality of the door handles on our Elantra. All 4 have developed small cracks and yesterday one just broke when opening the door. I plan on buying another car in 12-18 months and will have a hard time considering another Hyundai. In 45 years of car ownership I can not recall ever having to replace a door handle, by the way first 2 were covered these last 2 were not and they want $200 to replace them, INSANE.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Thanks for registering on the site and posting this for pretty much no reason just to bash Hyundai. I had a 2013 Elantra for 4 years and never broke a door handle, so I don't know what you were doing to your handles but it's obviously not the car's fault if you repeatedly break door handles... once might be ok, but 4+ times? Your fault bud. Learn to use a door handle. You only grab it and pull the handle towards you, gently even. It acts to release the locking mechanism so that you can pull the whole door open and sit inside, what you don't do is just go up to the car with the doors locked and yank at the handle expecting the door to open like a star trek elevator.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Dug this up searching door handle because my driver side doors (both) have cracks in the handles and the clear coat has come off of the plastic portions. Started middle of last year. Car IS 7 years old with over 126 thousand miles so I'm not totally pissed but it is something I'm gonna have to look at fixing as it's really the only thing cosmetically wrong with the car. Otherwise looks fantastic after all these years/miles

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
I know people on this forum have changed door handles to chrome or a different color and it wasn't a difficult procedure or an expensive part just takes a little bit of time and a few tools.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
you are aware that the 2013 year was rated 'Clunker' by carcomplaints.com .
So this does not surprise me. With that being said, I avoided all 2013 years and sought out my 2011 year instead (rated 'pretty good') . I have zero issues with door handles on mine.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
We have a 2013, and have had no problems yet. Going on 80,000 trouble free miles. The only repair outside of general maintenance,was a bad tie rod.
No Clunker, here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts