Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passenger brake light keeps going out. We've replaced with new bulbs and they still don't come on after putting new ones in. And now all the sudden neither of the white back up lights are coming on. Any suggestions? We have a 2013 GLS Elantra.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sounds like a common problem. My tail light bulbs kept going out so I replaced them with LEDs. And if they don't even come on anymore after replacing them then it's definitely the wiring connection. Make sure none of them are lose that are connected to the connectors. Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would just look at the connectors again and clean them even though they look clean, then do the same with the wires coming to it. If the wire's are in good shape and there isn't any exposed ones touching I would find the fuse and replace it then see if that works.

·
Registered
473 Posts
What do you mean by "keeps going out"? Do you mean that it works only intermittently? Do you mean that it dies, you replace it, and it works for a while until you replace it again, but this time it's not working at allo?

I'm very doubtful that the fuse could be an issue. Both the left and right sides are on the same fuse. It definitely sounds like an issue with the wiring, such as bad contacts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We purchased car used and brake light was out so they put new bulb in and it worked. Not sure for how long but light was out again. Took out bulb it looked on but we put new bulb in and still didn't work. Back up lights were on before we switched bulbs and now they aren't working. Just the brake light on passenger side but both back up lights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm very doubtful that the fuse could be an issue. Both the left and right sides are on the same fuse. It definitely sounds like an issue with the wiring, such as bad contacts.

Agree with the fuse, since both sides would go out, I would say just clean inspect from the bulb back, look for cracks in wire, exposed wire, moisture.....also replace with the correct bulb size they may look the same but one may have a lower or higher rating.

I replaced mine and just went to walmart and bought the ones it was asking for and they work great, I did have to knock some debris of.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Those all sound like good suggestions
And something that should be looked at
Connectors, the metal bits inside going flat and not making contact
Corrosion in the connectors
Pinched or shorted wires
And even possible is bad grounds (also due to corrosion)

Maybe take a meter and check for voltages at the connectors and check grounds??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The brake light works when the headlights are turned off, but when you turn the headlights on the passenger one doesn't come on. Do you think this is a wiring issue or a connector issue? Debating whether to call service and have them look as we are stumped and am hoping maybe under warranty??

Thank you for your suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Passenger brake light keeps going out. We've replaced with new bulbs and they still don't come on after putting new ones in. And now all the sudden neither of the white back up lights are coming on. Any suggestions? We have a 2013 GLS Elantra.
Same issue , replace bulbs & don't always work. Looking into the socket , I noticed the Ground contact , small strip from top to bottom on one side... was not sticking out fgar enough to make contact to the side of the bulb..... This provides GROUND for the bulb.... I used a small Pick tool to gently bind it out enough to make contact again.... Was able to put old bulb back in & it worked fine... I think that the encloused light housing on the body... which requires the entire light to be removed ( pulled out ) so you can access the buld / socket , to replace the buld is part of the problem... O my 2012 SANOTA , the back side is
OEN & you can just turn socket & pluu out of the tail light housing.... I think this allowes it to be COOLER timp wise & not Over heating the socket in the inclosed one on the Elantra....the socket on Elantra is discolored to a brownish color.... To me shows it's way to HOT inside the Closed Housing .... I'd like to hearthe thoughts of others about this &&& even better from HYUNDAI themself..... Lot's of $$$$ spent for bulbs that may have beem OK & it's the socket OVERHEATING that is the ISSUE....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts