Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Elantra at around 11 at night for my wife, I looked at and test drove a white one and picked wife up in it. When we got to the lot and after much negotiating wife decided she wanted a gray one. So I took the one they had, But being dark I couldn't look it over that good and plus didn't expect the problems It has.

First I noticed the Trunk was badly out of alignment, to the point I could stick my fingers in the seem on one side and on the other side it was pressing real hard on the tail light. After opening the trunk and looking I notice that the strike that the latch connects to was bent to the side to ensure it latched. They tried to blame us for this. Tried to refuse to cover, then after some arguing they took the car, when my wife picked it up they tried to make her pay, after I called them they then used the excuse that there was another 2013 that was being worked on that someone bought from KIA (that doesn't make since why would KIA sell a brand new car from another manufacture? and wouldn't it still have the warranty?)

After they said they pulled measurements (work order said otherwise) They replaced the hinges, my wife picked the car up I was out of town. (kept car for a week at this point) When I returned home, I noticed the trunk was not fixed, It looked better but still out of alignment and very noticeable. They also broke the Seat latch pull handle, It will not stay snapped in now.

In the mean time I also noticed that the front (hood) has the same problem as the trunk did, Badly misaligned. Others have noticed it as well. One side near the windshield is spot on, the other is noticeably out near a 3/8 inch. The driver side the hood is sitting right on the light, the other has a fairly large gap.

Then Monday while sitting in the passenger side I looked at my dash and noticed the silver trim that goes up next to the radio/ac panel on the right side was popping out, the left was set in nice and firm, the right I can see a gap and push it back down, but it flexs back out.

Lately the car seems to be driving different, almost like its under a load, or the e-brake is on but this isn't a constant. The tranny also at times while in mid gear, not near a shift has like a jump or thump. Again this isn't a constant (No cel either)

When I cold start the car in the morning after sitting all night it has a strange vibration/hum for about 20/30 seconds and I have even noticed a few times that the valves will rattle for a few seconds at times..

Has anyone else had any of these problems? Could the front and rear alignment issue indicate something more serious wrong, like a frame alignment?

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow! Sorry for your troubles. It sounds like there was a major goof in the shipping department or something. I'd ask them if it was damaged during shipping...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't they under law have to inform the seller that the new vehicle was damaged during shipping before a sale? And how could I find out if it really was? Im afraid the dealership wouldn't be forth right. They have already been a major headache.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Wow. This sounds completely wrong. You should definitely take the car back to where you bought it from and demand an explanation. Also ask them for a carfaq report. Did they sell you a car that was in a bumper stumper and just patch it up badly? This is terrible.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It was suppose to be brand new. I think it had 16mi when I bought it. I did notice today near the body shop there was one elantra the had a similar problem with the trunk atleast but on the other side. I have looked at a few in parking lots and they all seem to have spot on seems.

·
6,836 Posts
:00000732: strokercrate. I'm very sorry that you were brought to this forum by unfortunate circumstances. You know, I bought my car at night, too. I bought it when the Elantra was still very new, rare; it was the only one on the lot, which is why I ended up with Limited/no tech rather than GLS.

Anyhow, I lucked out in the sense that I had very few manufacturer flaws. Your situation, however, sounds like you're on the road to Lemonsville. I just hate it when the dealer won't own up to the fact that they sold you a less-than-satisfactory car. You paid for new, so you do deserve new.

Here's crossing my fingers that things will get better going forward. For your sake, I wish they'd give you another car, but that like never happens. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:00000732: strokercrate. I'm very sorry that you were brought to this forum by unfortunate circumstances. You know, I bought my car at night, too. I bought it when the Elantra was still very new, rare; it was the only one on the lot, which is why I ended up with Limited/no tech rather than GLS.

Anyhow, I lucked out in the sense that I had very few manufacturer flaws. Your situation, however, sounds like you're on the road to Lemonsville. I just hate it when the dealer won't own up to the fact that they sold you a less-than-satisfactory car. You paid for new, so you do deserve new.

Here's crossing my fingers that things will get better going forward. For your sake, I wish they'd give you another car, but that like never happens. :rolleyes:
Im actively pursuing my states lemon laws. I already called hyundai to put them on record, per my states guidelines. They called the dealer I guess to pressure them to get it done right. They are now on the second attempt. I have to give them 3 tries or 30 days total with the car in their possession. So far 5 days from previous time, and this time they said they dont know when they can start working on it. But hey its in their possession.

Im just afraid with the alignment issus with both the trunk and hood and inside trim starting to pop out, that there maybe some sort of frame problem, torquing on things causing these problems, and if so what else will it cause down the road.

WHat burns me up is one of the service techs goes "I dont see nothing wrong" when its obviously out and others have noticed as well.

·
Registered
911 Posts
WHat burns me up is one of the service techs goes "I dont see nothing wrong" when its obviously out and others have noticed as well.
There are plenty of donut holes out there don't let them get to you. Ignore them and deal with decision makers. Good Luck and hopefully get your due satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Sounds like the whole car is out of alignment. Def get it fixed, or exchange it. Lemon law might be on your side if they dont fix the issues. Contact Hyundai corp as well.

·
6,836 Posts
A car being out of alignment, for whatever reason, is not a joke. My mom put over 200k on a '00 Subaru Legacy, and while it did her well, it was a salvage title because it'd been rear-ended before 10k (which was before my mom bought it at a steal). However, the seals never quite lined up right, so it had a few air leakage sounds, etc. Worse off, if it's a suspension issue, it can put uneven wear and tear on your drivetrain and tires. A friend of mine had a fairly new Sentra that had also been wrecked, and ended up blowing a tire due to suspension tweakage. Get it looked at, for certain!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is my fear. It being out of alignment. I probably need to have the frame and such inspected. But would that void my warranty taking it to a independent?

·
22,792 Posts
This is my fear. It being out of alignment. I probably need to have the frame and such inspected. But would that void my warranty taking it to a independent?
You have the right to take that vehicle anywhere your little heart desires! Bear in mind, if they DO find alignment/chassis/frame issues, get written documentation. That allows you to arm yourself verbally, as well as authoritatively, when you return to the dealer for Round 2.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I was told today by the Hyundai Dealer Service Tech, that all Hyundai elantra cars valves rattle for a few seconds at times when they first start them after sitting all night.

I was under the impression that, this usually only happens when your bleed back in the oil filter or in the heads are not working properly.

When I told the Tech that, he agreed but said the design of the Hyundai motors, cause the rattle on all their elantra's

Has anyone else been experiencing this? Or is this guy feeding me another line of crap?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I was told today by the Hyundai Dealer Service Tech, that all Hyundai elantra cars valves rattle for a few seconds at times when they first start them after sitting all night.

I has under the impression that, this usually only happens when your bleed back in the oil filter or in the heads are working properly.

When I told the Tech that, he agreed but said the design of the Hyundai motors, cause the rattle on all their elantra's

Has anyone else been experiencing this? Or is this guy feeding me another line of crap?
I've never noticed that although my hearing is not as sharp as it used to be. I think the dealer is talking nonsense.

From all these misfitting problems I'm guessing this car has a "history" of some sort. I've never heard of or seen this before on any of the five Hyundais I have owned.

At the very least a factory rep should be brought into the picture somewhere. Hyundai needs to know about this in any event. They should be rights just replace it. And put yours in the crusher.

·
22,792 Posts
I recall a teensy bit of noise during start-up. Almost goes away, instantaneously. No problem with either one that I've owned.

·
Registered
911 Posts

I was under the impression that, this usually only happens when your bleed back in the oil filter or in the heads are not working properly.

Yes. You got a poor explanation but Hyundais do make noise when first started. It sounds like valve train noise. Some notice it more than others. When you go to the dealer listen to the engines starting.

Some engines also have a whistle noise when started and if it occurs often can be fixed. I also understand some of the noise is from the fuel injectors. Don't worry about it if its not too loud. Your E has a good warranty.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It sounds exactly like my tap in the garage when it is almost done filling up the water hose with water. Once it's full the sound is gone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes. You got a poor explanation but Hyundais do make noise when first started. It sounds like valve train noise. Some notice it more than others. When you go to the dealer listen to the engines starting.

Some engines also have a whistle noise when started and if it occurs often can be fixed. I also understand some of the noise is from the fuel injectors. Don't worry about it if its not too loud. Your E has a good warranty.

2012 Hyundai Elantra Engine noise - YouTube
One time I heard it. It was loud. Like dry lifters. But only that loud once.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts