Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Galaxy S3 would auto connect every time I got in the car; good thing since it was in a holster on my belt. Now I have a Galaxy Note 3 and it's paired to the Elantra but it doesn't connect on it's own. You have to touch "Elantra paired" then it says "connecting" and does. I don't see any settings on the phone that are different. I don't like to have to take it off my belt then out of the holster and manually connect every time.
Any one else change phones and have this problem??

Zig

·
Registered
893 Posts
Any one else change phones and have this problem??
Not this particular problem with Android, but BT works very sporadically with both my wife's and my iPhone. I think the iPhone 5 is worse than the 4S. Sometimes it auto-connects, but sometimes not and you have to connect manually. And once it auto-connects, sometimes it streams BT audio and sometimes not. Occasional glitches with the incoming audio volume on the phone too. Very buggy software, although all too common with BT. I've had two complete system crashes with the audio system too (cured by pulling fuses, forcing a reboot) and have thought about maybe just complaining to the dealer and seeing if I can browbeat them into putting a new radio in hopes of updated/less-buggy firmware. If anyone knows how to see what version of firmware you have (and whether any revisions have been made since the car first shipped), I'd be interested in knowing how.

- Mark

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have seen something similar a couple of times.

Only way I was ever able to fix it was to reset the head unit on the car to factory defaults; the issue seems to be caused by some left over settings in the car that are there from the old phone.

If you don't want to do that, make sure at the very least that the old S3 is deleted from the car head unit, and see if you can erase the call logs, phone books, contacts, etc. Only way I can think of quickly to do this is to just do a reset.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If anyone knows how to see what version of firmware you have (and whether any revisions have been made since the car first shipped), I'd be interested in knowing how.

- Mark
Here's the process for determining the current firmware version on a non-NAV unit (provided by user GUMMYDMILO):
1. Turn car ON (not in ACC)
2. Have it in FM mode
3. Turn radio off
4. Hold presets 1 and 4 for 5 seconds
5. Release presets 1 and 4
6. Press Preset 1 four times quickly (fast)

I haven't come across a way to determine version history.

If interested, here's a comprehensive write-up on my Bluetooth issue and how it was resolved:
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/153116-major-bluetooth-problem-random-hyundais-beware-6.html#post1722593

·
Registered
542 Posts
I was having an issue with my S3 and sonata randomly not connecting on it's own at times. It was hit or miss whether it would automatically connect. I've been using a bluetooth app for the past 2 days and so far it's connected every time within 10 seconds. Don't know whether it's coincidence or not. Im going to give it another day and if it's still continuing to connect then I'll say the app is successful. The app has some nice settings also to where it will automatically open my music app or any other app you choose. Here's a link to the app if you want to give it a try https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.myklos.btautoconnect

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
137 Posts
My iPhone 4S connects automatically every time. In fact I use the radio display to figure out if I grabbed my phone or forgot it. If the little BlueTooth symbol is lit I'm good, if not I have to run back inside for the phone:)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Here's the process for determining the current firmware version on a non-NAV unit (provided by user GUMMYDMILO)....
Thank you..... this works well. I have the same SW version you started out with (1.01). I really don't want to get into hassling with my dealer about this, but I may - the BT has so many problems and I'm getting tired of pulling a fuse when the radio dies.

- Mark

·
Registered
542 Posts
I was having an issue with my S3 and sonata randomly not connecting on it's own at times. It was hit or miss whether it would automatically connect. I've been using a bluetooth app for the past 2 days and so far it's connected every time within 10 seconds. Don't know whether it's coincidence or not. Im going to give it another day and if it's still continuing to connect then I'll say the app is successful. The app has some nice settings also to where it will automatically open my music app or any other app you choose. Here's a link to the app if you want to give it a try https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.myklos.btautoconnect

Sent from my SCH-I535
Just a follow up : It's been 3 days with flawless connections so the app works for me. If anyone is having intermittent connection problems try that app. OP since your phone is paired with your BT but won't automatically connect i would give the app a try.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
893 Posts
After yet another head unit crash (loud screech and then a blank display and dead as a doornail), I left the system dead (rather than pulling the fuse to reboot it) and took it in to the dealer. They replaced the head unit. On new unit, no crashes, but too few hours to know if this problem is solved. BT connections now are being made reliably and I can stream audio consistently. I'm happy (so far).

I can tell the software is changed by small changes in the menus, but I can't get a version number like I used to be able to do using the procedure above.

- Mark

·
22,788 Posts
My iPhone 4S connects automatically every time. In fact I use the radio display to figure out if I grabbed my phone or forgot it. If the little BlueTooth symbol is lit I'm good, if not I have to run back inside for the phone:)
Never paid any attention to that little symbol before. I just get in, go, call as needed. Will try to remember and look in the morning. Nice post. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can tell the software is changed by small changes in the menus, but I can't get a version number like I used to be able to do using the procedure above.

- Mark
You had me curious about this, so I tried the procedure again, but of course on the new/replaced head-unit. When I do it now, it appears to require 6 quick pushes of the button after I hold down preset buttons 1 and 4. You may have already tried to push it more than 4 times - but just in-case, figured I'd relay this detail to you. Also, I wanted to try it again to make sure I wasn't imagining that I got the radio to show the updated firmware information after the head-unit was replaced.

·
Registered
893 Posts
You had me curious about this, so I tried the procedure again, but of course on the new/replaced head-unit. When I do it now, it appears to require 6 quick pushes of the button after I hold down preset buttons 1 and 4. You may have already tried to push it more than 4 times - but just in-case, figured I'd relay this detail to you. Also, I wanted to try it again to make sure I wasn't imagining that I got the radio to show the updated firmware information after the head-unit was replaced.
Thanks for followup. I was able to get it to work eventually, not sure how many quick pushes, but a lot. Seems this is one of those things that requires a lot of tries to get the timing right.

Drats. I do have a new head unit but it has 1.02 software, an upgrade from my former 1.01, but not your 1.05. And I'm not getting the readout of song/artist while streaming like you're getting with the 1.05. The BT streaming issues I was having are much reduced, but not perfect - in ten or so times of getting in the car and going, I've had two instances where I had to turn BT on/off to get it to stream. But I'm not having the issue where I have to do this over and over to get it to work - one time does the trick.

We'll see how it goes, but needless to say, after going to all the trouble of replacing the head unit, I'm disappointed not to have the most current firmware, especially if it offers the song/artist feature during streaming.

- Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
The BT streaming issues I was having are much reduced, but not perfect - in ten or so times of getting in the car and going, I've had two instances where I had to turn BT on/off to get it to stream.
- Mark
This perfectly describes my experience as well since the head-unit replacement - it's definitely improved, but it still doesn't connect 100% of the time. However, for the past couple of weeks, I've changed my procedure to see if it makes a difference - so far, it's batting a thousand (which means I've just jinxed it). Here what I'm trying...

In the past, when I was streaming audio via Bluetooth, I would power-off the radio when I reached my destination and then turn off my car. I now change the radio to FM on approach to my destination (about 30 or so seconds before turning off the car) and then I turning off the radio just before turning off the car. As I'm typing this, I realize even more now how ridiculous this procedure sounds and am only willing to share it here because it's anonymous - no way I share this with anyone face-to-face. Anyway, my theory (if you can call it that) is that when the radio is changed from streaming audio to FM - this performs a proper disconnect of the streaming protocol and therefore when I get into the car the next time and start the streaming season again - the radio is not somehow trying to reestablish the previous session which was "ungracefully" disconnected and in a funky state.

If this doesn't fix it, my next post may be that I've discovered a Bluetooth dance that I perform around my car before each departure.

We'll see how it goes, but needless to say, after going to all the trouble of replacing the head unit, I'm disappointed not to have the most current firmware, especially if it offers the song/artist feature during streaming.
- Mark
That stinks - this was one of the worthwhile benefits of me having to go through all the hoops of convincing the service manager at my dealership to replace the radio. I completely understand that this was one of the benefits you were looking forward to and at least partially weighed into your decision with moving forward on getting it replaced. This is yet another reason why the fix should really be done via a firmware upgrade - otherwise it's a bit like playing the lottery to see which version each of us gets (not a very a fair way to do business).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help my elantra (2012) is paired with my new galaxy note 3 and says paired on both devices..problem is when I recieve a call it rings via BT system in car but as soon as I pick up via the car BT system I can't hear the caller, same if I call someone I can't even hear the dial tone... I can stream music via the bluetooth..ring samsung they say dealer problem. ..ring dealer they say samsung problem. ...All l want is for it to work !!!Any advice as its driving me nuts...thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Streaming Music

I used to be able to get in my car, and press Media twice and it would automatically start playing my music on my phone. Now I can't even stream music at all, even plugged in with the USB cord?!
Is this a prob with the car or the phone or what?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I used to be able to get in my car, and press Media twice and it would automatically start playing my music on my phone. Now I can't even stream music at all, even plugged in with the USB cord?!
Is this a prob with the car or the phone or what?
00000732 to the forums. What kind of phone is it? I would check the phone settings first as there may be a separate media check box in the BT settings that has become unchecked.

If that's not he case, I would delete the phone from the head unit's list of paired devices and delete the car from the phone's BT list and then go through the process of pairing them up again fresh.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts