Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting random character returns on my touchscreen for some time. Just took the car into the dealer for some routine service and had them check this out.

Despite several Youtube videos demonstrating this issue, and other posts on this and the other Hyundai model forums my dealer had never seen or heard of an issue with the touchscreen.

After verifying the issue, they recommended replacing the factory head unit. Cost for the unit itself, from Hyundai, was over $2600. Install was extra.

I did purchase an extended warranty that does cover the factory head unit, so the dealership called them. The dealer insisted that the head unit and touch screen was a one piece unit. Checking for parts on-line clearly shows the unit in these Azeras are two pieces - the head unit and the touch screen. Used touch screens are available in Ebay for between $100-150.

The extended warranty company sent a person out to verify the defect, as the replacement cost of the unit exceeded what they approve over the phone. The inspector looked at the unit and verified the defect. A replacement screen was ordered for next day delivery.

Replacement got to the dealer and they installed. Replacement unit works exactly like the defective one replaced. Dealer again contacted the warranty company and they are sending another screen.

Will see how the 2nd replacement works out.

Only reason I purchased the extended warranty was because of the Hyundai warranty on the head unit being only 3 years. Looks like the purchase will pay off, if we get a fully functional screen.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use my fingernail to click-touch the screen, otherwise, what I am trying to click on will click something else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same situation. Using a stylus helped somewhat, but dialing a phone # or entering an address was a long frustrating process of hit or miss. Still waiting to see how this turns out.

On the bright side, the car has been very reliable for me over the years. Only other problem was the passenger seat weight sensor went out, leaving the airbag light on. Hyundai did a complimentary repair for me, replacing the entire passenger seat cushion. Of course this happened just after the car turned 60000 miles. Part was over $1500 + labor.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Are you getting random characters, or ones adjacent to the character you are intending to press? If the touchscreen calibration is not correct, then where you touch, and where the software "thinks" you touched, will be off by about 1/2" or so and you get an adjacent character on the keyboard. Each unit has a procedure to recalibrate the touchscreen. That procedure should also be followed when the screen is replaced so the new screen registers the correct touch points. I couldn't find online the procedure for recalibrating an Azera touchscreen. The dealer should know how and should have recalibrated the screen when they replaced it.

However, if the characters are truly random, the problem can indeed be with the screen sensing grid or the firmware that converts a touch into an address that indicates a particular touch point. In that case the whole screen needs to be replaced and recalibrated.

Let us know how it works out. That will help those in the future that have this problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done the calibration on the screen to no effect. The dealer also did it before the extended warranty people would approve replacement. As the extended warranty rep actually tested the screen personally, and approved the repair, I'd guess he/she also tried calibrating.

The new screen was also calibrated, as part of the replacement process. Still no joy.

The screen seems to be random - sometimes coming close to the character selected, sometimes a character across the screen. Does best selecting XM stations, worst on entering an address on the GPS or dialing a phone #. The last two are virtually impossible unless you want to take an hour to eventually get it right.

2nd replacement is due to be delivered sometime tomorrow. Will post results. If it doesn't work, I'll be interested to see if they try for a 3rd one, or spring for replacing the whole head unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2nd replacement screen delivered and installed. Same result. Warranty company wanted to change suppliers. Apparently, they try to replace items with refurbed parts from a generic supplier. If this fails, they try Manufacturer refurbed parts.

This is what they wanted to do, except, there apparently are no manufacturer refurbed parts for this item. As a result, they approved the local dealership order a new unit through Hyundai.

This was ordered and should be here in a couple of days. Just fyi, this small piece of the head unit (not the actual head unit that contains the radio, gps, etc.) retails at over $2000 for the part alone. Install runs a bit over an hour of shop time.

Naturally, the dealership bills the warranty company for each install separately, plus the warranty company sent someone out to the dealership to verify the problem with the original unit.

Here is hoping that the new Hyundai supplied screen does the trick. If the problem is in the actual head unit processing the signal, we are probably in for more parts.

One of the reasons I am posting this issue is that new cars are all being made with bigger, more integrated displays. Besides many cars having what amounts to an Ipad stuck on the dash, upper trim levels often feature digital dash unit.

I have not read new vehicle warranties recently, but for my 2013 Azera the warranty coverage by Hyundai was only 3 years for the head unit. Makes you wonder what repair bills new car owners will be faced with a few years down the road, if these start to go out.

This is the first car I have ever purchased an extended warranty on. Looks like this "simple" touch screen will more than pay for the warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer got the new OWM screen in today and installed. Finally works - actually get the character you push. Over $2300 for this small screen + labor to install. Could have gotten a great TV for the price.

Fortunately, extended warranty covered all but $100. I'm not normally a big fan of extended warranties, but in this case, it paid for itself and still has about 2 years to run.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Meant OEM in above. Based on my typing skills, the screen in the car might have been ok, just my typing being the problem!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts