Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2013 Hyundai Azera last week. The first night home, I parked the car in the garage and left the key fab in the cup holder. 2 hours later, I noticed the car's hood was warm and upon opening the hood, noticed the battery and surrounding components were very warm to the touch. I left the hood up and brought the key fab in the house. The car soon cooled down. 5 days later, I decided to leave the key fab in the car again to see if this was a fluke, however, after a few hours had the same "hot" results. I'm waiting now for Hyundai service department to open this morning to set up appointment. Has anyone seen anything similar or have an idea what may be causing this?

·
Registered
163 Posts
That is interesting, but I will say that it isn't necessarily unexpected. When the key fob is in the car, the car will sense this and certain systems would have to be active in order to do what it is that you wish to do such as start the car, etc. I, personally never leave the key to any car in the car for security purposes. I had a friend who had his garage broken into by a bunch of kids and his wife had left the keys in the car and the kids ended up taking the car for a little joy ride. Car was gone for about two weeks and they ended up finding it about two miles from their house parked on the street because they had run out of gas. Needless to say, the insurance company gave them grief over the fact that they had left the keys in the car. Doesn't say much about the local police in that it took them two weeks to find a stolen car that ended up being two miles from where it was stolen but that's another story for another time. :>)

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
That is interesting, but I will say that it isn't necessarily unexpected.
And I would say that yes it IS totally unexpected.

The battery and associated wiring should not get hot during normal driving, much less with most of the systems turned OFF.

Now, having said that, everything under the hood will get hot just from the engine heat......and will stay that way for a LONG time after the engine is turned off.............so a good test would be to let everything cool off first and THEN put the FOB back inside the car and see what happens.

·
Registered
163 Posts
And I would say that yes it IS totally unexpected.

The battery and associated wiring should not get hot during normal driving, much less with most of the systems turned OFF.

Now, having said that, everything under the hood will get hot just from the engine heat......and will stay that way for a LONG time after the engine is turned off.............so a good test would be to let everything cool off first and THEN put the FOB back inside the car and see what happens.
It doesn't take much current draw to make a battery warm. With the fob in the car, there will be more systems active then with the fob removed. The question is, where are those modules located that are activated when the fob is in the car and how warm will they get? I would be willing to bet that the OP is told not to leave the fob in the car when the car is unattended for this very reason. Have you ever sat in your car listening to the radio while you were waiting for someone? You get a very annoying reminder every few minutes that you shouldn't listen to radio without the engine running. It not like the old days when very little was drawing current besides the radio in this type of scenario. It takes multiple systems to be active just to make the radio play because of the prox keys in these cars.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I leave the fob in the car all the time when parked in the garage. Never noticed any heat . The car has been in the garage for over a week when I was on a business trip and all is fine....... Glennh's problem is very strange..... very very little DC draw to keep system powered up

·
Registered
660 Posts
The last time I noticed my battery get hot, was when I used the battery to test some LED's. I accidentally mixed up a wire and created a short. Even with 22 ga wire the post got very hot immediately. Does it happen with both fobs?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I never leave my key fob in the car. It is always in my pocket.

Sounds like this is an issue to watch for one way or the other. What does Hyundai say about this? Is it a common issue for all manufacturers with key fobs?

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Is it a common issue for all manufacturers with key fobs?
No of course not.

If it is drawing enough current to make the battery AND the heavy gauge wiring hot, then the battery would go dead in short order.

I think there probably is some other associated gremlin at work here.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
I thinks that the accessories box or the fuse box could create the heat!! The car is ALL THE TIME ready to be started !! Not all systems are off !!
A system on "standby" draws virtually no current.
And it is the current that makes the heat.

There should be NO detectable heat produced by ANY system in a vehicle that is (supposed to be) OFF.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts