Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd put this up for anyone searching for info.
Last November I put on a set of wheels and tires from discount tire direct with the universal TPMS sensors and they worked perfectly, no errors. Everything mounted balanced and delivered for $921, including new lug nuts.
Also, I bought a new car, so anyone interested in a 2013 Hybrid Limited, 80k miles, with 2 sets of wheels and tires in Wisconsin, let me know!

Wheels:
MB Wheels
16 X7 5-114.30 38 SLMEXX
ITEM: 75919

Tires:
Bridgestone
Blizzak WS80
205 /65 R16 95T SL BSW
ITEM: 19764

·
Registered
88 Posts
After putting the aftermarket wheels did you notice any significant drop in MPG's. I say cause I have a set of 17" 5x114.3 that were on my Toyota Sienna....brand new rims which I would be interested in putting on my 13 hybrid Sonata, but since the Sonata wheels are some special wheels to decrease the coefficient of drag on the car I am a bit skeptic...

Any insight of your experience with after market wheels will be much appreciated...

Sandna

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can safely ignore drag effects. Auto makers will do strange things to be able to "claim" a drag coefficient. Famously, GM over-loaded the trunk of the Firebird to get the rear deck low enough to hit 0.30 Cd. Given their history of fudging the numbers, I see Hyundai being very willing to do the same to achieve the claimed 0.24 Cd.

That said, if form mattered to aerodynamics, we'd all have pizza-pan wheel covers. Verify mechanical fit and turning clearance and you'll be fine.

HAve ufn,
Frank

·
Registered
475 Posts
You can safely ignore drag effects. Auto makers will do strange things to be able to "claim" a drag coefficient. Famously, GM over-loaded the trunk of the Firebird to get the rear deck low enough to hit 0.30 Cd. Given their history of fudging the numbers, I see Hyundai being very willing to do the same to achieve the claimed 0.24 Cd.

That said, if form mattered to aerodynamics, we'd all have pizza-pan wheel covers. Verify mechanical fit and turning clearance and you'll be fine.

HAve ufn,
Frank
Wish it worked like that for my 2" lifted Toyota Tacoma with 32" mud tires... The extra friction and drag really affects MPG there... Used to get 17 to 20 mpg and now get 12 to 15 mpg.

·
Registered
175 Posts

HAve ufn,
Frank
I would not be so quick to dismiss the drag coefficient claim.

HSH or HSPH both have several improvements compared to your average regular car, off the top of my head:
1) the cowls in the front bumper corners that direct air over the front wheels - these reduce turbulence over the wheels, improving Cd.
2) the motorized radiator shield that opens/closes as necessary. When closed, it improves Cd.
3) the panels on the bottom of the car make the whole bottom very aerodynamic (think Formula 1 cars), improves Cd tremendously.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wish it worked like that for my 2" lifted Toyota Tacoma with 32" mud tires... The extra friction and drag really affects MPG there... Used to get 17 to 20 mpg and now get 12 to 15 mpg.
JKK...the same happened to my jeep wrangler when I went ot the mud tires with an aftermarket 17" wheels instead of the factory 18" wheels......

But it is the tires those snubby things creat and lot of friction which takes its toll on the MPGs...

But in our case, I don't like the pizza pan wheel and was interested in switching it with aftermarket wheel same size and same tires....

Sandna

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately since it's winter the mileage sucks, so it's hard to compare. If anything I'd think it might have a bigger effect in the summer. But I'll have the regular wheels back on it by then.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wish it worked like that for my 2" lifted Toyota Tacoma with 32" mud tires... ...
JKK...the same happened to my jeep wrangler when I went ot the mud tires ... those snubby things creat(e) and lot of friction which takes its toll on the MPGs... ...
Tires matter more than the wheel (within reason), but I must question the thought process behind an expectation of improved gas mileage using mudders.

I would not be so quick to dismiss the drag coefficient claim. ...
#1 is neat, the others expected, these days.

I'm always skeptical of performance claims that no one verifies... Cd is a spec where everyone hangs their hat on the best number they get. Given the danger inherent in very low drag, it's also an area where they can cherry-pick all they want as long as the car goes straight in a crosswind.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went from 17” factory wheels to 20” and went from 42mpg to 36/37mpg.
Good looking settup... im considering 19s or 20s for my "13 HSH... but my concern is not getting enough sidewall to keep the smooth ride (not planning to lower the car either).

How would you say the difference of ride quality with the larger diameter wheel changed in regards to soft and smooth of factory settup?

Im guessing you also lowered the car aswell?

I love lowered vehicles, i cant say ive ever owned a non-lowered car before, but this just may be the exception... lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
475 Posts
Tires matter more than the wheel (within reason), but I must question the thought process behind an expectation of improved gas mileage using mudders.

#1 is neat, the others expected, these days.

I'm always skeptical of performance claims that no one verifies... Cd is a spec where everyone hangs their hat on the best number they get. Given the danger inherent in very low drag, it's also an area where they can cherry-pick all they want as long as the car goes straight in a crosswind.

Have fun,
Frank
There was no expectation of any improved MPG with any such set-ups. The expectation was a decrease in MPG for sure. Just how dramatic the decrease was a surprise. And yes, it is the tires, not wheels, but in the discussion of Cd it is certainly the lift and different angles on some of the drive-train that affects it, no just the larger or more aggressive tire.

Just lifting a vehicle alone (same size tires) will change the aerodynamics and decrease MPG.

So, Cd does affect MPG. Pizza cutter wheels may not have much affect on Cd is the issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts