Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car has 160,000KM on it, never had any sort of motor issues or anything except for the idler pulley bearing.
On Saturday we decided to do a small road trip. The car ran great beforehand. We drove around 150KM on the highway, when we first got to our destination I noticed the first time I stopped the car seemed to be running rougher than normal and it was 'surging' a very small amount (not enough to see on the tach). As soon as I touched the gas everything was fine until it was back at idling RPM. No lack of power and no SES light.
We drove around in that city for a little while and noticed the usual 'whirring' sound the car makes when under load at low RPM's has intensified, but not always. Then sometimes when stopped whirring sound would get really loud (louder than the stereo loud), then as soon as I touch the gas the sound would go away, then when the RPM went back down to idle it would come back, but only sometimes.
We finished our running around and headed back home, everything was fine on the highway, gas consumption is around the same.
When we got home the car was still shaking and occasionally making the whirring sound.
Started it up yesterday morning, when warming up it was running rough, and the injector 'ticking' sound seemed VERY loud. When it was at operating temp I proceeded to back out of my spot and a 'GRINDING' sound could be heard from the front end. I popped the hood and took a look and there is lots of snow packed in the engine bay around the motor/axles so I'm assuming that's what that sound was from.
When I got back in as a was releasing the clutch to start accelerating it sounded like something was holding the car back and not letting it go making sort of a 'creaking' sound, as soon as I started moving this sound went away, and the 'whirring' sound came back until we got on the road.
When we stopped at the first red light the motor started making the 'whirring'/'whining' sound so loud I shut it off because it sounded like it was going to blow up. It was crazy loud. If you don't know what I mean by the whirring/whining sound it sounds like its coming from under the dash behind the steering wheel area?
When I turned the car back on it was still making this noise, so I feathered the gas pedal and got it up to around 2k RPM where the sound completely went away, and didn't come back when the RPMS dropped again. It hasn't been that loud since, but its still shaking,ticking,whirring,and surging.

I have owned many vehicles in my days and have never had any work done at a mechanic in my entire life aside from certification papers. I have rebuilt many motors, I have changed transmissions, changed motors, basically anything that can be done to a (older) vehicle I have done, but I have NEVER heard or seen anything even close to these symptoms im experiencing. All of these sounds are 100% new to me and I have no idea where to even start.

At first I assumed it was a misfire, then the intensified whirring and grinding sounds started, along with the fact that the SES light was never on.
Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I know many people have heard this myserious 'whirring' sound but it hasn't really been pin-pointed to my knowledge.
I just did some digging and I found some people that were saying the fuel pump is mounted on the firewall and that's what makes the sound which I think is false.
I did however find talk about it being where the fuel line goes through the firewall, the tube it runs through is slightly to large or something causing a vibration? Anyone ever heard of this? Maybe the reason for the sound being louder now is simply the fact that the motor is running rougher?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well so I feel a little dumb now but I think I for the most part figured out my issue...
I went to do an oil change and the first thing I noticed when I raised the front of the car was a ridiculous around of ICE around the engine/transmission. The bottom half of the motor/tranny were literally surrounded by clear solid ice, there was enough room for the motor to move about an inch at the most on the mounts (I guess from meltage). I supposed this is what happens when you drive for long periods on the highway when its -20 and colder (Celcius). The CV axles literally just had holes big enough in the solid ice to spin and move a little when steering. It took me about 30 minutes of chipping and I finally have most of the ice removed, I just took it for a drive and all the funky sounds appear to be gone, BUT I think the motor still does have a slight misfire causing a slight shake?
Because the motor obviously isn't new any more before I did the oil change I added a small amount of Sea Foam directly into the motor (oil fill) and drove it for a quick drive. After changing the oil I added half of a bottle of the Lucas oil stabilizer, so hopefully it enjoys the special treatment. I also put a can of seafoam in the gas and a tank of premium for the first time ever! I might even go get a car wash

1 - 4 of 4 Posts