Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out if the SE with a Manual Transmission should Auto-Lock itself once it reaches 9mph. All the owners manual says is "if equipped". I have Key-less entry, etc., so i am a little hard pressed to understand how it would not be equipped. The dealer said their service department will have to look at it and it might be because it is a MT and not the AT that it's not auto locking at speed. My girlfriend has a MT Veloster with seemingly the same key-less entry / alarm setup (or so it seems) and hers does it .... just trying to get some answers before I listen to the dealer and I cant seem to find much in the forums or online ... thanks in advance guys and gals. :beer:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Here is some thing that I found on the Elantra site. This may or may not apply to the Accent or all models.

Automatic Door Locks - This feature can be set by your dealer, usually at no cost.

Lock Settings - Car can be set to lock...
> When shifted out of park (factory default)
> At 20 kph (12.5 mph)
> At 25 kph (15.5 mph)
> At 30 kph (18.6 mph)
> At 35 kph (21.7 mph)
> At 40 kph (25 mph)
> Disabled

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'm kind of interested in whether MT cars auto lock too.. I have an auto, so I can't weigh in. It's strange that we have so many Accent owners with manual transmissions here on the forum, yet no one has commented.

·
Registered
305 Posts
No speed sensing locks on my '13 manual SE. I occasionally drive a 2001 VW Golf that auto locks at 8 mph. The locking mechanism is on a rotary wheel and it's just a little quieter than a jail cell door closing. It scares the bejeebs out of anyone who hasn't been in the car before. No, I'll do my own locks thank you.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yeah, my doors don't lock automatically either. I don't really understand what the point of automatic-locking doors is, unless you're driving in rough neighborhoods every day. While driving I usually leave my door unlocked unless I'm downtown Toronto at night.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm kind of interested in whether MT cars auto lock too.. I have an auto, so I can't weigh in. It's strange that we have so many Accent owners with manual transmissions here on the forum, yet no one has commented.
Mines a GLS and it didn't even come with a radio, you think its gonna have auto locks :laughing:

·
Registered
283 Posts
No radio! Man all I can say is.....
But I got one, like the ones they did the EPA test on originally. :beer:

and to close the deal I got them to have a radio installed! They had a pro installer come in and put a aftermarket deck in. He did a good job :)

I need my tunes also

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am trying to find out if the SE with a Manual Transmission should Auto-Lock itself once it reaches 9mph. All the owners manual says is "if equipped".

... thanks in advance guys and gals. :beer:
I also recently purchased a 2013 Accent with the manual transmission. Mine, however, is the GS model. Mine *does* automatically lock the doors once I get rolling. But of course it could be different on the SE. Anyway, I haven't been able to stare at the speedometer when it happens, but it's definitely at less than 10 mph since it happens while I'm still in the parking lot at my work (and it's a small lot). The doors automatically unlock when I take the key out of the ignition. To be honest, I am okay with the autolock, but I seriously DISlike the automatic unlock function. So there I am at the gas station and I have my purse on the passenger seat and the doors all unlock when I take the key our of the ignition so I can exit the vehicle and pump gas? VERY bad idea. I don't want doors that unlock without me telling them to do so, unless I'm in an accident, perhaps.

And thanks for the :beer:.

Here is some thing that I found on the Elantra site. This may or may not apply to the Accent or all models.

Automatic Door Locks - This feature can be set by your dealer, usually at no cost.

Lock Settings - Car can be set to lock...
> When shifted out of park (factory default)
> At 20 kph (12.5 mph)
> At 25 kph (15.5 mph)
> At 30 kph (18.6 mph)
> At 35 kph (21.7 mph)
> At 40 kph (25 mph)
> Disabled
Thanks for posting that up. It gives me hope that possibly this speed sensing auto-lock (and subsequent unlock) can be disabled. Now to confirm it so that the dealer can't say, "We're not sure," and try to get out of doing it if I ask for it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wanted to update this thread with some new info.

I brought my 2013 Accent GS (manual trans) to the dealership today and told them I like the speed-sensing automatic door locks, but that I did NOT want all the doors and the hatchback to automatically unlock when I take the key out of the ignition. They hooked the car up to their computer, did whatever magic they do, and voila! The doors now still lock when I drive 9mph or more, but do not automatically unlock when I remove the key from the ignition.

So the short answer is yes, these features exist for the 2013 manual (and likely for the automatic as well) and yes, they are granularly configurable and can even be disabled. However, it does appear that this has to be done at the dealership.

They did not charge me for the time (it only took them as long as took me to walk across the building to the ladies room, make a pit stop there, and walk back). It might have been because I walked in saying, "I got this car brand new a few months ago and this feature has been driving me nuts since day 1, but this is the first chance I've had to come down here and have it adjusted. But really, this is kind of a security and safety issue for a woman in a car." Or maybe they just couldn't see charging for a 2 minute adjustment.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2013 Hyundai accent GL manual, the doors lock as soon as I start moving and won't unlock until I'm completely stopped
When I'm ready to open the door (from the inside, obviously), I just pull on the door handle and the door opens. Being locked doesn't seem to matter in mine (which, honestly, is how I prefer it).

And, as mentioned above, they can be set to lock at different speeds, or not at all.

Btw, just as a side note... in the event of a crash, apparently the doors automatically unlock.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i want the doors to not lock when i just shut the doors and dont have the key in the ignition. mine lock after a couple of minutes after you shut the door. while my car is parked in garage i dont need that. any-one know if you can shut that function off?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yeah, my doors don't lock automatically either. I don't really understand what the point of automatic-locking doors is, unless you're driving in rough neighborhoods every day. While driving I usually leave my door unlocked unless I'm downtown Toronto at night.
More of a safety issue if you have the child safety lock engaged. Helps keep the little children from accidentally opening the door when the car starts moving. But I'm not even sure if our cars come equipped with child safety locks for the rear doors.

I know that VWs have the real deal where the doors automatically lock above a certain speed limit because you can change the speed or completely disable it if you can connect to it's ECU.

·
Registered
63 Posts
More of a safety issue if you have the child safety lock engaged. Helps keep the little children from accidentally opening the door when the car starts moving. But I'm not even sure if our cars come equipped with child safety locks for the rear doors.
Yes they do. Or at least the ones in the US do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts