Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just signed up here because I am torn between getting a 2013 Accent GS/SE or a 2013 Honda Fit and am hoping to get some feedback from actual Accent owners. I know I want a small hatchback, but this is where I'm stuck.

Here's the thing. I test drove a Fit and both the GS and SE Accents over the weekend, and my immediate feeling was that I liked the Accents a lot more and was very close to buying one on the spot. I loved the feel of the car, the handling of the car (did not like the Fit's soft brakes and it just feels cheap inside). However, a couple things keep haunting me about the Accent:

1. Rear visibility. I was concerned about the tiny rear windshield and what seemed to me obstructed rear side window views. I'll be driving whichever car I get in north Jersey with occasional drives into NYC, and this concerns me with the crazy heavy traffic roads around here and also with parallel parking.

2. Reliability. I've read the things that say the quality of the Accent has gotten much better in recent years, but as it's still a new version of the car, this is untested by time. As for the Fit, I have two friends who've had their own Fits from 2008, and they still love the cars and recommend them. I know Hyundai has very good warranty (or so they say? is this true in practice or do they try to avoid fixing problems?) but I also don't want a new car that has a lot of problems in the first few years.

So... what are your thoughts about this? I did not love the Fit although it has amazing cargo space, but I feel like any issues I had with that car weren't as major as my concerns about the Accent. How do you feel about the visibility you have out the rear/side-rear of your Accents, and have you done anything that makes this less of a problem? For those who have had the car for around a year, have you had any problems with it?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 40,000 miles on mine in 2 years with not a single problem. I removed the rear middle head rest to improve rear visibility. :00000732:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi everyone, I just signed up here because I am torn between getting a 2013 Accent GS/SE or a 2013 Honda Fit and am hoping to get some feedback from actual Accent owners. I know I want a small hatchback, but this is where I'm stuck.

Here's the thing. I test drove a Fit and both the GS and SE Accents over the weekend, and my immediate feeling was that I liked the Accents a lot more and was very close to buying one on the spot. I loved the feel of the car, the handling of the car (did not like the Fit's soft brakes and it just feels cheap inside). However, a couple things keep haunting me about the Accent:

1. Rear visibility. I was concerned about the tiny rear windshield and what seemed to me obstructed rear side window views. I'll be driving whichever car I get in north Jersey with occasional drives into NYC, and this concerns me with the crazy heavy traffic roads around here and also with parallel parking.

2. Reliability. I've read the things that say the quality of the Accent has gotten much better in recent years, but as it's still a new version of the car, this is untested by time. As for the Fit, I have two friends who've had their own Fits from 2008, and they still love the cars and recommend them. I know Hyundai has very good warranty (or so they say? is this true in practice or do they try to avoid fixing problems?) but I also don't want a new car that has a lot of problems in the first few years.

So... what are your thoughts about this? I did not love the Fit although it has amazing cargo space, but I feel like any issues I had with that car weren't as major as my concerns about the Accent. How do you feel about the visibility you have out the rear/side-rear of your Accents, and have you done anything that makes this less of a problem? For those who have had the car for around a year, have you had any problems with it?

Thanks everyone.
In terms of the differences between the cars themselves, I think the Fit is sportier, not as comfortable as the the Accent, and buzzy/high-reving in comparison to the Accent. If you do a lot of freeway driving over 65 mph you'll notice the difference. The Accent is more relaxed. If the cargo space configuration is a big deal for you then you'd probably like the Fit better. The current Fit is getting a little long in the tooth and the Accent has a bit newer design / technology.

I've gotten used to the rear / rear side view of the Accent and while I initially thought that might be a problem, I've adjusted to it. True, it's not the best visibility but I don't find it much of a detriment either. Much less so after I drove it awhile. I drive in heavy urban traffic often and unless it's a situation where you have to change lanes every 10 feet while moving to get somewhere then it's probably OK. I believe the 2014s come with some form of blind spot mirror. Parallel parking is a breeze with the Accent hatch and, like most hatchbacks, you know exactly where your rear end is..much easier than a sedan to park in urban environments.

In terms of reliability, I think that current Hyundais are very good and much better than the product that was put out in the 90s. Whether they rank with the Toyota/Honda benchmark or not...there's much less of a difference. I've had my Accent for almost a year and haven't had any issues with it and continue to enjoy it. Car warranties are are what they are whether the manufacturer lists 100K miles or 50K miles...most manufacturers are likely to dispute / scrutinize claims if they can...so I personally don't put much stock in warranties unless the claim involves engine failure, manufacturer defects, etc. And, of course, I think the Accent SE looks much better than the Fit. Good luck in your decision...they're both good cars.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have no experience at all with the Fit.. I've had my Accent for a bit over a year and a half. I've had no problems. I've followed this forum for just as long and there aren't a lot of complaints. The main one seems to be that people aren't getting the claimed mileage. (My mileage is OK).

The rearward visibility is a pain. They should have at least offered a back up camera as an option.. I took out all three back seat head rests from my sedan. That helps a bit.

The ride isn't the best... Noisy on rough surfaces and I brace myself for big bumps.

The A/C works but doesn't seem as efficient as it should be. It takes a while to cool down the car on hot days.

Other than that, it's a great little econo-box. I don't regret buying mine. And I think it looks better than the fit.....

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I shopped all the cars in this segment, and came down to the Fit vs the Accent too. I ended up with the Accent for a bit better value over the Fit. Other things I liked/wanted were:

1) 6 speed manual trans on the Accent (which is a bitchen gearbox), the Fit only offered a 5 speed manual.
2) 4 wheel disc brakes on the Accent, front wheel disc only on the Honda.
3) Longer warranty on the Accent.
4) Subjectively, I like the styling much better on the Accent.
5) Overall a much better value, all things equal.

2 years old this December, no problems so far. cheers.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I think you get better overall performance with the Accent.

However, I would recommend the Accent Sedan as that has a better rear visibility AND more trunk/storage space.

But if its a hatchback and plan on doing mixed city/highway driving, then you are better off with the Fit. The Fit has WAY better visibility in both front and back.

My 2012 accent currently has nearly 47,000 miles.

Another thing to consider is that the Accent's stock headlight bulbs suck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I shopped around just about every car in the subcompact class and ended up going with the accent because it had value going for it. I paid $10 900 for an essentially brand new 2012 hatch (it had only 500km on it), and was in immaculate condition. For a Fit of the same caliber, you'll be looking at around $14 000 or more. The Fit will have better resale, but considering its upfront cost is so much higher the benefits are nullified. The Accent will give you more standard equipment, but I'll echo the others and say that visibility all around isn't as good, and it's especially bad in the rear.

My short commute deals with a lot of rough country driving through high snow and the Accent is just fine. Mount a good pair of winter tires on and you'll have no problem in the cold, and I'm sure it's an excellent commuter in the summer too. It feels much more substantial on the road than it is, and having 139 horses with a 6 speed is great too.

Test drive other cars too though, the Fiesta was my second choice if I hadn't got such a great deal on an Accent.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think you'll get a lot of subjective answers about the Accent. For me, the rear visibility wasn't a deal breaker in any way but if it's a particularly worriesome issue then you might want to take another test drive or two and then eliminate the Accent ( at least the hatchback ) if it still bothers you. A recurring theme with the Accent is "value" and to me it's hard to beat the Accent as a straight value proposition.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I too looked at the Fit before deciding on the Accent SE. I wanted the capability to move 5 people, so the CR-Z and the Veloster were out. I also had to have a manual transmission, which was not negotiable. I had to fly to Missouri to get my Accent SE with the manual transmission, but I think it was worth the trip.

I was concerned about the visibility issue, but I am impressed with the side mirrors and haven't had a problem yet after 2 years. You can get after-market navigation/radio with backup camera capability if needed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
A little over 2 years and 30,000 miles and no problems, Mine is the bare bones model.

It was the cheapest brand new manual trans car on any dealers lot around me,by at least 2 grand. The manuals seem to get better mileage(I get better than the sticker) by the posts here.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I am not an accent owner, but I have driven a Fit. I was shocked at how cheap the Fit was. And I believe Accent has a much better warranty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2012 Accent GLS automatic. The only other car i considered was the Honda Fit Sport. Both are worthy of consideration. The biggest negative I have is with the rear visibility.(removed all rear headrests) and the fact I had to buy a spare tire and tools to feel secure on over the road trips, it also lacks a theft deterent system. If you add the cost of a spare tire and tools ($250) and plan to install an alarm system ($250) the price difference between the fit and Accent narrows considerably. The Fit has both the above standard. I am very happy with my Accent but I think I would be just as happy with the Fit. Biggest negative I had with the Fit was the interior finish and you only had your choice of one color Black. Not much choice with exterior colors as well. If they had a Fit in the blue I wanted with a decent interior I would have taken the Fit over the Accent

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you test drive the Fit, get on a highway and take note of your engine RPMs and cabin sound at 60mph. Maybe it's just true of the manual version of the Fit, but it's widely repeated among Fit owners that their car requires 3,000 RPM to go 60mph. I never drove one.
My previous cars had larger v6 and v8 engines. 3,000+ just to go 60 would put my teeth on edge on my semi-weekly highway commute.

·
Registered
11 Posts

So... How do you feel about the visibility you have out the rear/side-rear of your Accents, and have you done anything that makes this less of a problem?
I am a new SE owner and I had the same concerns about visibility - especially for my wife, who is 4'11". I removed the rear headrests and that basically solved the problem. I'm sure now that after a few weeks we won't even remember that it was a concern. If we have someone tall sitting in the back seats, we'll just put one or two of them back on. Our grandkids won't need them.

I love the way the car rides and drives. Not as much interior room as the Fit, but much more fun to drive.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've only ridden in a Fit and that's why I mentioned the "buzzy / high-revving" comment in the earlier post. For me, it can have a full size patio sliding door as the rear window but if it's going to be running 3200 rpms when it reaches 65 mph it'll drive me insane. The Fit is a car in need of a sixth gear. The Accent is noticeably more relaxed on the freeway and, by extension, I'm more relaxed. Running at 2500 rpms at 65 mph is much more important to me than having a "full size" rear window.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I also looked at the FIT. The seat fabric was cheap and they are low to the ground. If you have to deal with snow, then low to the ground sucks.

I have the SE hatchback and removed the center headrest. That helped with looking out the rear window. But, it also has a blind spot caused by the sheet metal located behind the rear door windows. I have found out that if I lean forward, then look in the rearview mirror, I can see in front of and to the rear of the blind spot.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I also considered the FIT be fore going with Accent GLS. I do almost all Freeway commuting, so once I heard about the Fit's rpm level and interior sound at 65 mph, it was ruled out instamatically! Also, the 6-speed gearbox in the Accent is very good both M/T or A/T. Both cars have very low clearance, and I believe the Accent is actually lower, but that may be helpful with fuel economy in lowering the drag. Basically, if I did all inner city commuting, Fit all the way, but more freeway or almost all freeway definitely Accent. I have 34k in just over a year and a half. Not one single issue, but having to replace headlight bulbs.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I also removed all the headrests from my SE Hatch. Its been a really good experience with my Accent 20k now and runs perfect. The reason I like the Fit is that its has enough cargo room to throw a adult sized bicycle in the bike, while in the Accent you have to take off the front wheel. If youre a big person getting in and out of the Fit is easier.
As for the drive, the 1.6 GDI is a smoother and more powerful motor and often feels like bigger motor to it, its a sweet motor.
The overall drive goes to the Accent, cargo room clearly more to the Fit.

Isnt the Fit about to have a overhaul soon? I would not buy a new Fit now, just wait 1 more year, its probably coming in 2015.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I also looked at the FIT before buying my Accent SE. There was no comparison. The Accent SE had more for the money as the equivalent equipped FIT and had a higher-end feel inside.

I don't regret for a second getting the Accent. As others have mentioned I removed the center headrest from the back row of seats and that solved any visibility problems with the Accent's rear window.

Neil

·
Registered
940 Posts
I chose against the Fit in the first 5 minutes sitting in it. My right knee was tucked up in a small space between the steering-wheel column and the console/dash. The dash side had a sharp angle to it which made it uncomfortable for my knee to lean to the right.

I'm 6'-0". Not unusually tall. I've been told I sit further forward than most. Maybe that had something to do with it. But, my knee felt captive to that small area, and not comfortable with that sharp angle pressing into it.

Another thing I didn't like: the dash/windshield area seemed odd to me. Large platform with side windows. I felt like I was sitting in a Space Shuttle. There's probably some positives to that styling. But, it struck me as odd.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts