Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings!

I am hoping to re-join the Accent ranks with a 2013 GLS purchase. I'm still in the "seriously looking" stage, and have a question (I have more than one, actually, but for the sake of this post I will keep it to just one). It is the model with the upgraded 6-speaker audio system. How does this audio system sound?

-James

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All of the 2013 GLS's have the six speaker audio system. The preferred package adds Bluetooth and steering wheel controls.

How it sounds will be subjective, and I wouldn't base a purchase decision on the OEM stereo, but you can easily replace it with something better if you want to.
Thanks for your response.

Now I feel foolish. I thought I read somewhere along the way that there was a model with a 4-speaker system. Anyway, the audio system is far from being a determing factor in my decsion. I was just curious is all.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I think the base model Kia Rio has a 4-speaker system if you were considering it also.

Again - the nice thing with both Hyundai and Kia is that $50 total for a dash kit and wire harness will let you put any radio you want in the car if it doesn't meet your needs (they don't run everything through a databus, etc.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
There is a 4 speaker variant, it comes on the base model (The L model here in Canada) which isn't available in the US. IIRC the only difference is the 4 speaker lacks tweeters.

In terms of sound quality, it's pretty bleh. But let's be honest, you don't buy a car based on how its speakers sound, you can easily swap them out. In fact, I believe there's a guide here on the forums.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i was very impressed with the audio in my new 13 accent. actually sounded better than my modified previous car (minus bass from subs) just recently swapped the stock stereo with a pioneer head unit and it sounds even better now. would have kept the stock stereo except for the screen being so **** bright and the ipod controls take a little too much attention off the road

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi, I have a 2012 Accent se. It's audio system is only fair. I expected much more for the top of the line model. On a positive note, the Accent has been good in the important aspects. Reliable and fun to drive with the manual transaxle. Cheers.

·
Registered
283 Posts
There is a 4 speaker variant, it comes on the base model (The L model here in Canada) which isn't available in the US. IIRC the only difference is the 4 speaker lacks tweeters.

In terms of sound quality, it's pretty bleh. But let's be honest, you don't buy a car based on how its speakers sound, you can easily swap them out. In fact, I believe there's a guide here on the forums.
The 2012 GLS in the US was also a base model and came with 4 speakers & no radio.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the base model Kia Rio has a 4-speaker system if you were considering it also.

Again - the nice thing with both Hyundai and Kia is that $50 total for a dash kit and wire harness will let you put any radio you want in the car if it doesn't meet your needs (they don't run everything through a databus, etc.)
What are some recommended dash kits? I know very little about modifying car audio systems...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks for sharing that link. I have never attempted any mods myself (especially when it comes to the audio systems). I always had a professional do it.

Could anyone suggest some speaker and/or deck combinations for the 2013 Accent? Perhaps something I can pick up at a Best Buy to have installed... Could I keep the OEM deck (?) and just upgrade the speakers?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
2012 Hyundai Accent car lookup for stereo kits, harness, bluetooth, iphone, tools, wires, parts diagram

Top two items are by Metra and are what you need.

http://metraonline.com/files/products/INST99-7347B_web.pdf

I like Metra products, but if you are new to car audio, the car isn't the simplest to change.

The radio will need about 12 color coded wires spliced together - that's standard for most any cars (lots are worse).

The speakers OTOH - you have to remove the door panels (not uncommon either), but the OEM speakers might or might not be riveted to the door, and you might need to make or buy some spacers to install them.

Crutchfield is very good and will include free installation gear with most radio or speaker purchases.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Could anyone suggest some speaker and/or deck combinations for the 2013 Accent?
What are you looking for? (Do you want a touchscreen? DVD? Navi? ipod/Iphone streaming?)

What do you listen to and how loud?

Want/need a subwoofer system?

Could I keep the OEM deck (?) and just upgrade the speakers?
Sure - depends what you want/need. Better speakers will generally give you more clarity. If you want more volume or more bass, you probably want to change out the deck (and maybe or maybe not the speakers).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What are you looking for? (Do you want a touchscreen? DVD? Navi? ipod/Iphone streaming?)

What do you listen to and how loud?

Want/need a subwoofer system?

Sure - depends what you want/need. Better speakers will generally give you more clarity. If you want more volume or more bass, you probably want to change out the deck (and maybe or maybe not the speakers).
Great response! Thanks!

I am not interested in "thumping" through the neighborhood. I generally listen to indie rock, folk, and acoustic rock. So, to answer your question, I suppose I am looking for a rich, robust sound that doesn't have to alarm the neighbors when I come home from work. ;) So, probably no sub..

No need for touchscreen, DVD or navigation. As for the iPhone integration, doesn't the 2013 Accent already come with the USB port?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Awful lot to cover. I'm also a moderator on the Crutchfield forums, I don't work for them - so I don't care what/where you buy, but there is a lot of good info there also.

The Accent comes with a USB port, but that ties into the factory radio. If you are replacing it, you will lose that (there is a harness that allows you to keep the Accent USB port and use it with the new radio - but the new radio has to have USB input).

Same thing with Sirius/XM - you would lose that (if it has it) when you swap the radio out, unless you add it to the new radio.

http://www.metraonline.com/files/products/INSTAX-HYKIA-USB_web.pdf - Actually, it isn't listed as working on the Accent, but I'd think it would.

I'm thinking you would want the headunit upgrade and maybe the speakers also. I ended up keeping the stock speakers in my 2002 Focus with a JVC head unit, but you might be pickier than I am.

I tend to like Pioneer. As far as sound quality, I'd expect anything including the basic $70 model to outperform the OEM deck - more a question of what features you want.

6.5 speakers will fit and are recommended, but not a simple install - see two links from this thread:
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/233-r...r-will-fit-rear-door-2013-se.html#post1794905

You are looking at custom spacers, drilling out rivets, etc. Best bet might be hoping BestBuy doesn't know that and letting them quote you a price up front and holding them to that.

You need to listen to speakers ideally. I tend to like JL Audio, but they are pricey. Otherwise, I tend to like Pioneer for bass and Infinity for highs.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
We may be jumping the gun a bit on this.

What radio's / systems have you had in the past and what did you think of them.

At some point, we need to talk budget ...

The interface of the OEM radio is fairly nice - I can't tell you if it sounds good enough for you.

Listen to one of them. Play music you are familiar with, adjust the EQ or bass/treble settings:

• You might find the volume and clarity is fine for you - if so, no problem, no action needed.
  • You may find the volume is loud enough, but the speakers sound muddy. In this case, you need to replace the speakers.
  • You may find that the stereo distorts at too low a volume for you (and the sound may be muddy as well), In this case, I recommend a 3-step incremental approach:
    • Replace the head unit (radio). This will provide more power to the speakers (and maybe give you extra features like DVD playback, rear view camera, navigation, etc). (If you like the OEM interface and want a stock look, you could add an external amplifier instead, but this is about as costly as a new head unit, more complicated to wire in, and you also have some built-in EQ curves in the stock radio that you need a factory system enhancer to balance out (doubling the cost, pretty much). Evaluate this the same way. If you are happy, no action required. If the volume isn't loud enough, you will want to add an amp at this point - but the OEM speakers won't handle much more power than the new radio provides, so you need a speaker upgrade as well in any case.
    • Next replace the speakers. I'd recommend going with speakers that handle at least 50-60W RMS so you could add an amp later if you wanted to.
    • Add an amp if you still need more power, richness.
Estimated costs:

• Installation gear - $60 or so, but you might end up fabricating spacers for the speakers yourself, and I didn't factor those in.
  • Head unit - $70 to $500 or more. I recommend getting something with USB and Bluetooth, and personally, I tend to like the touchscreens, b/c you see more information (Artist, Album, Title, Album Art) on the screen.
  • Speakers - Roughly $50-$60 per pair (2 pairs, although you could easily spend more).
  • Amp and wiring kit - Roughly $200.
For my purposes (maybe not yours), a touchscreen radio would be around $300 - so you are looking probably around $400 for the audio upgrade, could go as much as $600-$800, could go as little as around $100-$250 if you went with an inexpensive radio and speakers, or only speakers, or only radio.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tiger-Heli,

Thank you for the very helpful responses! Tomorrow, I will be taking the car for a test drive and we will see how it goes. Having seen the car already and researching the specs, it appears to be the car I'm looking for.

Thanks again!

James

·
Registered
49 Posts
Great response! Thanks!

I am not interested in "thumping" through the neighborhood. I generally listen to indie rock, folk, and acoustic rock. So, to answer your question, I suppose I am looking for a rich, robust sound that doesn't have to alarm the neighbors when I come home from work. ;) So, probably no sub..

No need for touchscreen, DVD or navigation. As for the iPhone integration, doesn't the 2013 Accent already come with the USB port?
Ever since I was a kid, Ive been a fan of the Alpine brand of speakers. The stereos I can give or take on...
But you can take a kraco stereo (remember those?) and attach some alpine speakers to it and it will sound like a $500 deck in your car.
Nowadays the alpine brand is fairly inexpensive and you can pick up a pair of 5.25" speakers for about 60 USD.
As far as headunits. I favor the 7" DDin units sold on Ebay. They come with a OEM shroud and electrical connector adapter. They look **** near OEM installed. I have bought one of these before for another car and it was a very nice in dash DVD/NAV/unit with touch screen for the price. Its features compared to the 5-700 models at car toys and good guys stereo.
Its worth looking into.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as the Kraco deck and Alpine speakers.

Personally, I'd go with 6.5's vs. 5.25's the space is there, the mounting is a bit complicated.

The 7-inch screens on E-bay are generic Chinese. They are a simple plug-and-play solution and the best features for the dollar, but I've read of them failing within a month (and other reports of them working well for people) - a bit of a gamble, but worth considering).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts