Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Ive been driving my accent for a week last friday, a friend informed me about breaking in your engine correctly, by varying speeds and not using cruise control.

My vehicle has approximately 600km on it as of now, and im a little freaked out because I have been using the cruise control on my way to work each day (Approx 18 km), should I be concerned with regard to this? IM SCARED!!!!

please let me know!

·
Registered
660 Posts
The engines go through a break in run at the factory. I get one and drive it the way I drive any other car. The one thing that I do is change out to engine oil between 750-1000 miles and then go on to the scheduled changes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay, that makes me feel a bit better, thanks for your quick reply.

As for the oil change, is this due to metal fragments being released from the engine??

·
Registered
518 Posts
Take it to the drag strip!!!!

Haha I'm teasing. You're fine. I go to school 40 miles away and had to cruise it sometimes. Engines now come pretty much pre broken in from the factory. From now on just leave cruise off until the break in is done. Just remember, how many people floor a car or mistreat them during test drives...I bet those cars turned out fine ;)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Part of the break-in should include relatively equal use of ECO-mode on as well as off. For me, that was the last time I used ECO since I drive almost all freeway.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The engines go through a break in run at the factory. I get one and drive it the way I drive any other car. The one thing that I do is change out to engine oil between 750-1000 miles and then go on to the scheduled changes.
what he said, and use a full synthetic oil after the change.

you can get a 5 qt jug of 5w-30 in Wal-Mart's store brand for about $17-20. helps with getting max mpg and you only need to change twice a year ( fall/spring). :00000732:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't know if listing "things not to do" in the first 600 miles qualifies as a break-in process or not but Hyundai definitely advises not to use the cruise control, keep the revs at 2000 rpms or higher, don't let it idle for over 3 minutes, and vary your speed. Although that's not much of a specific break-in, I think it still qualifies as a break-in period/process of things "not to do" whether your engine is broken-in at the factory or not. It's easy to lug a new car if you're not used to it...it's easy to get stuck in bad traffic and have it idle for 10 minutes, etc. Having said that, I wouldn't get too anal about it...I think you're probably fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts