Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the elantra for about 2 weeks now. I feel the shifting on the elantra is very rough. especially from first to second. does anyone else notice the rough shifting on their manual. or is it just something i have to get used to on the elantra.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's because the car is new, I'm now at 15000 km and I doesn't feel it anymore... or maybe I became used to it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Many Elantra manual drivers are complaining about rough shifts. If it's not bad enough, then best thing you can do is buy special synthetic gear oil like Amsoil MTG or Redline MT-85.

My shifts are rough. I've driven 2008 Elantra and it had better shifts than current Elantra's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a 2000 Elantra 5spd. And It shifted much smoother than the 13. I though i might have been subject to the tsb about the wrong fluid. but i missed it by a few days.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Hyundai shifters are not known for being Honda-smooth, but I'm surprised they're that bad. Have any of you guys looked into clutch adjustments? This has been an issue with Hyundais in the past, but it's something most dealers can handle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know Hondas are known for being smooth. Im not expecting that. I just don't think i should have to roll the car a little bit in order to shift it into reverse some of the time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2700 miles on mine. 1st through 5th are fine. Sometimes shifting to 6th requires a little effort. I'm going to ask the dealership if they can adjust it when I go in for the first service visit.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I know Hondas are known for being smooth. Im not expecting that. I just don't think i should have to roll the car a little bit in order to shift it into reverse some of the time.
Sounds a lot like my last standard... a '93 Altima SE. Going into reverse was difficult and/or produced a loud CRUNCH unless you bumped the car forward in 1st gear beforehand. Did it all the way until I sold the car at 90,000 km.

Ask about clutch adjustments; you never know. :57:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Is it rough or is it that you are out of first gear so fast that it's jerky? I think you will get used to it. When I first got mine it seemed that first was such a small gear that you barely pressed the gas when you had to shift to second already. Once you drive it a bit you will get used to it, or at least I did. I chalk it up to this being my first 6 speed manual.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hyundai shifters are not known for being Honda-smooth, but I'm surprised they're that bad. Have any of you guys looked into clutch adjustments? This has been an issue with Hyundais in the past, but it's something most dealers can handle.

Can you tell me more info? Because my clutch is giving me problems. I wonder if shift quality is associated with my bad clutch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts