Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else gotten this? Carfax sent me this in an email. I am not sure what 'Remedy Not Yet Available' means(?)

12/13/2017
Manufacturer recall/service bulletin issued
NHTSA #17V769000
Recall # 170
REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE

Click here or call 1-800-633-5151 to locate an authorized Hyundai dealer near you to obtain more information about this recall.
LEARN MORE

Description:
HYUNDAI MOTOR COMPANY (HYUNDAI) IS RECALLING CERTAIN 2013-2014 ELANTRA SEDAN, COUPE AND GT VEHICLES. THE BRAKE PEDAL STOPPER PAD CAN DETERIORATE ALLOWING THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH PLUNGER TO REMAIN EXTENDED WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL IS RELEASED. THIS WILL ALLOW THE BRAKE LIGHTS TO REMAIN ILLUMINATED CONTINUOUSLY. IT CAN ALSO ALLOW THE SHIFT LEVER TO BE MOVED WITHOUT DEPRESSING THE BRAKE PEDAL, OR ACTIVATE THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT BRAKE PEDAL OVERRIDE FEATURE

IF THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH PLUNGER DOES NOT RETRACT AS IT SHOULD WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL IS NOT BEING PRESSED, THE BRAKE LIGHTS MAY STAY ILLUMINATED PREVENTING ACCURATE COMMUNICATION TO FOLLOWING VEHICLES THAT THE VEHICLE IS SLOWING OR STOPPING. ADDITIONALLY, IF THE BRAKE SWITCH PLUNGER IS NOT RETRACTED, THEN THE TRANSMISSION CAN BE SHIFTED OUT OF PARK WITHOUT DEPRESSING THE BRAKE PEDAL. EITHER CONDITION INCREASES THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE.

Thanks for your input.

- Lisa

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I don't know why it would say remedy not available. I'm pretty sure we had this recall done on our 2013, a year or so ago.
Run your vin number here, and see what comes up. You can also take it to a dealership and have them check it out.
https://www.nhtsa.gov

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dealer says that the brake stopper part is going to be available starting in Feb. They will then send out notices to book an appointment. They had originally had a recall for this on a limited number of Elantras a year or so ago. Now it is for 130,000 in Canada and 350000 in the United States.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
"Remedy not yet available" simply means that they don't currently have a million replacement parts in inventory to fix the issue for everyone. Either that or they're still trying to negotiate a cheaper solution with the feds.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's a greater concern to the corporate lawyers who live in perpetual fear that your car might be the one in a million that rolls slightly if you forget to step on the brake while shifting gears, thus killing your neighbour's cat resulting in a ten billion dollar lawsuit against Hyundai.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Dont know why they screwing off,, we got black ones for Sonata, clear ones for UD/MD Elantra already,, no need for new parts, they already being used for same chassis already...

All it be is just a bumper on the pedal that nose of stop light switch set on to get pushed to turn off stop lights when pedal at rest

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"your car might be the one in a million that rolls slightly if you forget to step on the brake while shifting gears
I have a manual trans. Does this really affect me?

- Lisa

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Big clue: If your brake lights are on because the plunger is not depressed, your cruise control will not set. The switch that turns on the brake lights is the same switch that sends a signal to dis-engage the cruise. Same for automatic as manual transmission.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
It affects you b/c your brake lights might not turn off - so following cars might think you are slowing down - decide that you aren't - and then not be able to stop in time when you do slow down b/c they can't see a change in your brake lights.

And the dingle dongs that drive down road with lights on and have a low watt glow on 1 side, and a bright glow on other side,, and the middle and left dont work any way..

Reactions: r3dh3dgrl

·
Registered
486 Posts
And you could drain your battery after the brake lights stay illuminated all night. Although, I have to think that the failure rates are quite low. I see at least 5 other 2011-2013 Elantras in the way to work each day and never once have I noticed one with brake lights perpetually lit. But it seems like at least a third of them have one or more of the SEVEN brake lights out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to follow up with closure on this thread.
I finally received an actual 'Recall Notice' in the mail from Hyundai about a week ago that requested that I call to have the part replaced and that it would take about an hour.

I made an appointment at Rick Case Hyundai and asked if they would give me a loaner (I know...don't laugh, just like to see what they will say) and they said that as it would only be an hour, they were not 'offering' loaners.

When I dropped the car off yesterday (a Saturday) at my appointment time, I was surprised at the speed of which I was able to get in an out of there. They said it would be a bit longer than an hour and ended up calling me 2 hours later. Again, I was able to get in an out during pick up in under 5 mins.

So. Everything is fixed and I ended up having a good experience there, considering the inconvenience of the recall in the first place.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
With part in hand, it take less than 60 second to change part.. it took 2 hr because they likely had "waiters", and you dropped your car..

You have ticket write up time,, put into dispatch, tech retreive car from where ever it might be parked, go to part dept to get a part, and have it charged to ticket' job line, go install part, and write out that he/she did recall.. then advisor has to close out and invoice ticket, review it with you, and off you go

Reactions: justink
1 - 12 of 12 Posts