Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: The dealership has declined to address my engine issue. Saying that what has happened in my case is specific to the top half of the engine versus the bottom half which is what the warranty addressed.

everything was going great. I had never had any problems. I kept up with the recommended maintenance. Well, everything changed Wednesday when I broke down the freeway. Per my local independent mechanic, it is a number three cylinder, leading to a valve issue, leading to a head issue. All that said, he says I should be budgeting for about $3500. Unfortunately, per valuation websites like KBB, it looks like my car is only worth about $7000. With 170,000 miles, I’m concerned about putting $3500 into this vehicle where other issues are likely to arise. I am going to be taking it to the local Hyundai dealership today to find out if it may qualify for the extended engine warranty replacement. Assuming it doesn’t qualify, what does one do with a car in this situation?

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
823 Posts
I'd say it depends on how much longer you intend to keep the vehicle. My old 2005 Chevy Equinox POS blew a head gasket at like 38,000 miles (6 years after I bought it--I don't drive much). Replaced for around $2,700 and bought an extended warranty (5 more years) mainly because by then I'd seem multiple reports of head gasket failures (repeated ones). Planned to keep the vehicle 6 more years, but about 3 months before end of extended warranty head gasket blew again. At that point, it was close enough to get rid of (warranty paid for repair) and I traded it in for my 2017 Hyundai SFS 2.0 T Ultimate. Plan on keeping this one for 12 years or longer (depends on if I win the lottery--haha)

I didn't want to sell the Equinox privately because I figured with 2 repeat head gasket failures, nobody would want it. I was able to get $4500 for trade in value (pretty close to lower end of private party sale according to KBB at the time).

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I can't believe that you managed 170k miles on a Theta II without any issues and also that KBB lists the resale value at $7k , makes me want to put our 2013 with just 80k miles up for sale, only issue it's the wife's car and she still likes it.

How much oil was the engine consuming ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't believe that you managed 170k miles on a Theta II without any issues and also that KBB lists the resale value at $7k , makes me want to put our 2013 with just 80k miles up for sale, only issue it's the wife's car and she still likes it.

How much oil was the engine consuming ?
Prior to this event, Oil consumption was never an issue. Checking the oil level after the breakdown, was the first time I ever noticed the oil being low. Ultimately, it’s been a pretty good car for me with no issues. But, dang, I would like to have been able to sell it for at least a few thousand dollars. But I can’t imagine who would want it in this mechanical condition. Though, Cosmetically it looks almost brand new.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Prior to this event, Oil consumption was never an issue. Checking the oil level after the breakdown, was the first time I ever noticed the oil being low. Ultimately, it’s been a pretty good car for me with no issues. But, dang, I would like to have been able to sell it for at least a few thousand dollars. But I can’t imagine who would want it in this mechanical condition. Though, Cosmetically it looks almost brand new.
Wait until you get word from the dealership, and if it falls under the "debris" recall, they'll replace the engine and give a free loaner. If something other than the recall, and not covered by a warranty, I think $3500 would be on the low side, but selling the car, I'd say $1500/$2000 might be a problem.

As far as 170,000 miles, our 2.0T was replaced at 172,000, ran great, but oil consumption was a qt p/325 miles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 2013 SFS 2.0T is at 120K. I am sorta dreading when this happens as others in my family drive it as well. Looks like I'll probably try to sell/trade it closer to 150K.

I've been doing the engine oil changes myself and have logged the dates and mileage each time. However, I don't have receipts or anything to truly prove that I did the oil changes at those times. Which, from what I've read, is what you need to show in order to get the engine replaced under the extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My 2013 SFS 2.0T is at 120K. I am sorta dreading when this happens as others in my family drive it as well. Looks like I'll probably try to sell/trade it closer to 150K.

I've been doing the engine oil changes myself and have logged the dates and mileage each time. However, I don't have receipts or anything to truly prove that I did the oil changes at those times. Which, from what I've read, is what you need to show in order to get the engine replaced under the extended warranty.
Originally no maintenance records were needed, but in a later decision, maintenance records are required after Aug. 18, 2020.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Do you know how strict they are on having the receipts for people who change oil themselves?
Sorry, couldn't tell you how strict they are on the records as I've not heard any horror stories about rejection of engine seizure because of
lack of maintenance records. I did hear about an engine that was inspected and the warranty was rejected because of buildup inside the engine,
but never heard the final outcome.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts

This is why I change my full synthetic oil every 3k. When it comes time to have my engine diagnosed for replacement someday, the insides of the engine will be real clean with no signs of ever letting my dipstick oil level drop below the full mark.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
This is why I change my full synthetic oil every 3k. When it comes time to have my engine diagnosed for replacement someday, the insides of the engine will be real clean with no signs of ever letting my dipstick oil level drop below the full mark.
Unless the engine becomes an oil guzzler and you'll see consumption qt/300 miles, and that equates to 10 qts in the 3k mile oil changes.
If the oil is changed at the recommended interval, 5k miles, there will no problem within the engine, as far as buildup is concerned..

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2013 SFS 2.0T engine seized up last Friday at 160,000 miles. I'm going to try and get it over to the dealership on Monday to have them look at it to see if it is related to the Theta II engine recall. If it isn't I'll still probably have a new engine put in it. It will be alot cheaper than buying a new car and I still enjoy my 2013 SFS 2.0T.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Tex, I, too, really enjoyed my 2013 SFS 2.0T. As I mentioned, the car had ran great from the day I bought it. I was very good about general maintenance. It was an instant fail with NO signs of the impending doom. Ultimately, I was concerned that this issue was going be be the first of many expensive issues (alternator r/r estimate $700, transmission $4,500 for example). At 160k miles, I just couldn't see taking that chance. Amazingly, the response to my craigslist ad was crazy and I sold it the very same day.

One last thing... When I showed the dealership the diagnostic from my repair shop, they refused the warranty claiming my failure came from the "top side" of the engine and the warranty only covers failures stemming from the "bottom side". Hope that helps. Good luck to you, sir.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tex, I, too, really enjoyed my 2013 SFS 2.0T. As I mentioned, the car had ran great from the day I bought it. I was very good about general maintenance. It was an instant fail with NO signs of the impending doom. Ultimately, I was concerned that this issue was going be be the first of many expensive issues (alternator r/r estimate $700, transmission $4,500 for example). At 160k miles, I just couldn't see taking that chance. Amazingly, the response to my craigslist ad was crazy and I sold it the very same day.

One last thing... When I showed the dealership the diagnostic from my repair shop, they refused the warranty claiming my failure came from the "top side" of the engine and the warranty only covers failures stemming from the "bottom side". Hope that helps. Good luck to you, sir.
Thanks. I'm having my car towed over to Hyundai today (now out close to $400 in 2 separate towing charges). They want to see all my service records. I can get some but probably not all so that's going to be fun. I'm hoping I can pull up a carfax history and see the full list of oil changes. Crossing my fingers all the small quick lube places were logging the oil change. I'm sure that will just give them an excuse to say it was neglect on my part. If they don't cover it, i'm still thinking about getting the engine replaced. It'll be cheaper than a new car. I just did the brakes, front suspension, and valve cover gasket myself. That last item (me personally replacing the valve cover gasket) will also probably give them ammo to deny my claim.

@Cantwells So you sold yours on craigslist without it being operable? If you don't mind me asking, what were you able to get for it? I guess if the cost to replace the engine gets over $5k I might consider just selling it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I'm having my car towed over to Hyundai today (now out close to $400 in 2 separate towing charges). They want to see all my service records. I can get some but probably not all so that's going to be fun. I'm hoping I can pull up a carfax history and see the full list of oil changes. Crossing my fingers all the small quick lube places were logging the oil change. I'm sure that will just give them an excuse to say it was neglect on my part. If they don't cover it, i'm still thinking about getting the engine replaced. It'll be cheaper than a new car. I just did the brakes, front suspension, and valve cover gasket myself. That last item (me personally replacing the valve cover gasket) will also probably give them ammo to deny my claim.

@Cantwells So you sold yours on craigslist without it being operable? If you don't mind me asking, what were you able to get for it? I guess if the cost to replace the engine gets over $5k I might consider just selling it.
for my issue, I was told to budget at least $3500 for the repair. I chose that same number to ask on craigslist. Asked $3500, and I excepted $2900. I was afraid I wouldn’t get Even $1000 for it. So, I think I feel pretty fortunate as to how it worked out. Have they sold it two weeks prior with the history of problems, Kelley blue book had it was dead between $7000 and $9000. In my opinion, the car could’ve passed for brand new cosmetically. Here is a pic of the ad if you’re curious..,

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
for my issue, I was told to budget at least $3500 for the repair. I chose that same number to ask on craigslist. Asked $3500, and I excepted $2900. I was afraid I wouldn’t get Even $1000 for it. So, I think I feel pretty fortunate as to how it worked out. Have they sold it two weeks prior with the history of problems, Kelley blue book had it was dead between $7000 and $9000. In my opinion, the car could’ve passed for brand new cosmetically. Here is a pic of the ad if you’re curious..,
Thanks. Mine needs a little love to get it back up to really good status. Mainly just some suspension work which should be fairly easy to knock out. It was running so good before it died. It had brand new tires (i.e. less than 300 miles) and brand new brakes on all 4 corners (less than 500 miles).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. Mine needs a little love to get it back up to really good status. Mainly just some suspension work which should be fairly easy to knock out. It was running so good before it died. It had brand new tires (i.e. less than 300 miles) and brand new brakes on all 4 corners (less than 500 miles).
Well CRAP!!! Sadly, mine too had new (top of the line Goodyears, closer to 1000 miles) and brakes. If you do sell, make sure not to pull a "Cantwell" and leave your new sunglasses and thumb drive in the car. The kid who bought it will not return my calls, so its a loss on my end.

Last thing...I bought a 2020 Subaru Impreza as the replacement. Fair or foul, Hyundai left a bad taste.

Best of luck,
Steve

·
Registered
854 Posts
Local Hyundai service performs the following tasks on engine recalls.

1). Look at all service records,
2). Take oil sample,
3) Install a new knock sensor and software update,
4). Run the car on a Dynamometer diagnostic for 4 hrs to determine if anything is wrong with the engine.
5). Take another oil sample.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
those points are understood.
However, should they find something "wrong", that issue still needs to fall within the parameters of the warranty replacement. While the dealership doesn't necessarily have the final say, I honestly believe they can influence the outcome. And, we all know that not all dealerships share the same customer service philosophy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Local Hyundai service performs the following tasks on engine recalls.

1). Look at all service records,
2). Take oil sample,
3) Install a new knock sensor and software update,
4). Run the car on a Dynamometer diagnostic for 4 hrs to determine if anything is wrong with the engine.
5). Take another oil sample.
Good luck with running my engine. The engine is seized. And right at 10k miles after the recall work was done. It felt like a pop when the engine lost power. Then it was making a rapid thumping noise and the check engine light was flashing. Then it made a horrible screeching noise and stopped cold.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts