1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gas light came on said 49 miles to empty
Went 60.2 city miles ran out
Put 1 gallon in it drove 16.1 miles on that guessing 4 miles left till empty
Took 19.1 to fill to the brim that's close to a 3 gallon reserve as it was all local driving
If gas light comes on at 345 miles that will be close to 20 mpg all local driving cold starts
Computer says 19.4 that's never right
Driving this car daily now i do mpg on a spread sheet see what i have after a year

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
What gets better is that when it gets to ~25 or so Miles to empty, it switches over to -- and won't tell you how much further you got.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
The Gen Coupe 2L turbo limits boost when the fuel light comes on. On both my Hyundais when the light comes on it is near 1.5 gallons left. Though I have pushed it using my MPG avg. I have never ran out. Accent is near 75 miles when the light comes on, Gen Coupe is about 45 miles.

The dash reading is dependent on accurate speedo and odo, how accurate is yours?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went 60 miles on gas light this time
320 gas light came filled at 380 took 19.3 to the brim
dash mpg says 20.5 that's to high

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Gimmie a break......................:surprise:

Do you expect perfect calibration? Always they will err on the side of more gas in the tank. Think of all the complaints if you run out of gas BEFORE the gas gauge said empty.

You are doing your car a great disservice running it to empty. :wacko:

·
Registered
502 Posts
When I got my Tucson a little over a year ago I calibrated the dash mpg display by comparing it to
measured mpg using the fuel pump display and odometer.
After 3 tanks I knew the dash consistently reads 7% high.
I'm sure they designed the miles-to-empty to always read low, even with unit-to-unit variation.
The alternative would be unacceptable.
I've never let the tank go below 1/4, so I've never seen the low fuel light on this vehicle.
p.s. Repeatedly "filling to the brim" can damage your EVAP canister.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Gimmie a break......................:surprise:

Do you expect perfect calibration? Always they will err on the side of more gas in the tank. Think of all the complaints if you run out of gas BEFORE the gas gauge said empty.

You are doing your car a great disservice running it to empty. :wacko:

1 give yourself a break
2 idgaf about dash calibration
3 wrong the all don't err on the side of more gas but the should ive had cars with .9 gallon reserve
4 its a bs myth about low gas hurting the fuel pump
5 it was done for info only purposes and for myself and others here to know it's not a regular thing
6 you do run out of gas before empty it never gets to E

7 have a sock for your smiley about what its worth zip

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Damage to the fuel pump happens when it is pumping air and not cooling the pump anymore. That can happen when the level is very low and is sloshing around due to taking sharp turns, hard acceleration or heavy braking. As long as it keeps getting gas in it, heat won't be the issue. The other issue is that there can be sediment and junk in the tank and having the fuel pump suck that up can cause damage to the pump and/or prematurely clog the fuel filter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damage to the fuel pump happens when it is pumping air and not cooling the pump anymore. That can happen when the level is very low and is sloshing around due to taking sharp turns, hard acceleration or heavy braking. As long as it keeps getting gas in it, heat won't be the issue. The other issue is that there can be sediment and junk in the tank and having the fuel pump suck that up can cause damage to the pump and/or prematurely clog the fuel filter.

Can might maybe no proof bought new crown vic ran it out 10 times low all the others sold with 150k 10 yrs later orig pump and filter yes it leaked oil and the quirky started solenoid issues but ran nice proof bought 1998 Taurus new ran out 3 or 4 low alot sold 2013 120k orig pump filter still on the road today i must be lucky huh
as stated it was for ino purposes and to get a read on real mpg( next poster only if the odometer is right lol)
pretty sure i knew what you think your explaining to me 35 yrs ago when i was wiring up the electric fuel pump on my 340 duster with nitrous way before fast furious bs
we could discuss how much timing to pull out when using nos or bottle pressure

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
They all start pumping air after they get below a 1/4 tank, you'll see that when using the pump to drain a tank.
I think the failed pumps come from those who only put a few gallons in at a time for the life of the car. I run mine to near empty every time. Usually reset the ODO 2 and then go for whatever the gas mileage says for one gallon.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I agree, that running out sometimes and little air is not going to kill it. Issue is when it runs and overheats. So it can cause issues sucking air. Just because it sucks some air doesn't mean failure. As far as a comment about a 35 yrs ago pumps....I have seen new pumps die just from trying to start on an empty tank, so they are not just going to last forever either and don't need to be treated poorly forever to fail. If running out of fuel was going to be instant failure to components, I would imagine they would force the fuel pump to not run if not enough fuel was detected in the tank.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree, that running out sometimes and little air is not going to kill it. Issue is when it runs and overheats. So it can cause issues sucking air. Just because it sucks some air doesn't mean failure. As far as a comment about a 35 yrs ago pumps....I have seen new pumps die just from trying to start on an empty tank, so they are not just going to last forever either and don't need to be treated poorly forever to fail. If running out of fuel was going to be instant failure to components, I would imagine they would force the fuel pump to not run if not enough fuel was detected in the tank.

The 35 yr comment wasn't about pumps
I've raced and built and fixed cars for 30 plus i don't need your (Maybe) can be ruined from running low ive heard all the myths before i go by usage
internet myths and bs are just that
Akin to the people here who say Hyundai will refuse warranty for non stock oil filter but they posted it therefore. It must be true
maybe bigfoot is real
Maybe lockness monster is real
Maybe the earth is flat
Many thousands think all that is true
It's not

1 - 14 of 14 Posts