Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 2013 2.0L is still going after 160k miles. I use castrol or valvoline full synthetic oil (high mileage now) and do my own changes. I did one oil flush around 80k to remove sludge and am getting ready to that again tomorrow. I added some Moly additive last oil change and will do so again this time.
I still like the car and am wondering if there’s any other maintenance I could do to prevent the engine failure? I just did a 600 mile round trip over two days and was somewhat nervous about the engine even though it seems to be running just fine.
Any advice?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, transmission fluid and brake fluid has been changed recently. Replaced ball joints, tie rods and shocks/struts recently which helped restore the ride quality. I also did the serpentine belt at around 100k preventively. Ive done all the work myself, so Ive learned a lot about this car over the years and feel like Its got more miles ahead of it. Periodic gift card for mpg from hyundai has been nice.

Random failure of the engine is a wildcard, though.

The engines are failing from metal shavings left over from the factory, correct? If so, hopefully Ive flushed any of that out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yeah, I did early oil changes, too, so hopefully its flushed, but expecting it too fail sometime.
Wow are things really getting that bad out there? I have a a 2013, 2T with 59,000 miles, and I too share a common nervousness. Although mine runs and looks like new equipment, like several of you, I don't trust it anymore. I just wish someone could speak not about the mechanicals but give us some sound, logical, love it or leave it advice. Is this a statistically significant failure rate or normal for the hundred thousands sold? Dump 'em now or chance Hyundai's good will?

·
Registered
4 Posts
160,000 miles is pretty respectable, in particular with the minimal maintenance no real repairs to speak of? AWD driveline and suspension chassis components are all still original? That's great news, I have a 2018 SFS 2.0L turbo and expecting to get at least that many miles or more over a 10 year period.

How many miles does everyone have on their SFS, and any major repairs over that period? It's always good to hear the positive side, from those who have had good luck from this vehicle overall is still one of the most solid, reliable crossovers you can buy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also, hyundai has sold tens of thousands of this very successful model between 2013 and 2018 with very respectable reliablity ratings. Be happy you aren't stuck with a Nissan Rogue, Chevrolet Equinox or similar, your Santa Fe is miles ahead in terms of build quality and durability. I think basic mainteance is key, use synthetic oil, change it often, get a major fuel system service periodically (yes I know some feel this is a cash grab by the dealers, but at the right interval this can be really beneficial and critical to maintain engine longevity). Also pay close attention to your engine oil and overall perfomance, if you notice changes take it to the dealer for a diagnostic to identify potential issues early such as bad injectors etc. that can be replaced proactively and again keep that engine running like new and for many years. Just my opinion, but after owning many vehicles over the years, aside from those with bad luck, there is typically a lack of maintenance and inspection that starts with small problems and leads to major issues down the line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts