Hyundai Forums banner

2012 Veracruz Headlight Issue

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  majic 
#1 ·
my husband is the sole driver of this vehicle at night (dark). For several weeks now when turning on the directionals the headlights flash or go out completely and then come back on. This has been checked by the service department at the dealership but they cannot duplicate it. We are going on a road trip very soon with a lot of night driving and we are concerned. Of course they are not driving it at night. Any thoughts? Thank you!

#2 ·
1. Check battery for loose cables
2. Try to videotape the incident for the service department

Sorry I can't be more helpful... intermittent electrical faults are the most frustrating for everyone. Please share the outcome when you finally get it solved.

Don

#4 ·
a good place to start would be the turn signal lever/headlight switch. it sounds like there is a short or loose wire in component. since the two are on the same switch and only happens when driving at night...

i'm not sure why the dealer can't turn the headlights to the 'ON' position and start using the signals. maybe try a different dealer - one who can think for themselves rather than plugging in a computer and waiting for it to tell them what is wrong.

#6 ·
I have a 2012 Veracruz Limited and I experience the exact same situation you have described it's a very unsettling feeling when using the turn indicator at night and the lights go out and then back on. This just happened to me recently and I decided to try functioning the lever in all directions and low beam to high beam 20 or 30 times to see if maybe the contact in the switch is not clean. Or has some possible corrosion or oxidation. So far I have not had the lights go out since doing this. But also this has not happened very frequently. So I need some more time to see if this resolved anything. Just thought it might be worth trying before taking to the dealer and having them start taking things apart which I'm never very excited about doing for fear something else gets messed up. Maybe contact cleaner will be my next option. I'll report back when I see what kind of results I get.

#8 ·
I recently experienced this phenomenon, and had to re-read this thread to see if I was dreaming. Come to think it it's probably happened on 2 or 3 other occasions too.

Yeah, it's a bit unsettling to have your headlights blink off, even if only for half a second.

#9 ·
Well, I too have been having problems with my headlights dimming on my 2010 Veracruz. I find it happens when I'm coming to a stop and when the engine is decelerating and the transmission is downshifting. It doesn't seem to matter if the turn signal is on or if the brights are on. I just took mine in yesterday for the second time and the dealer cannot find anything. They replaced the neg cable to the battery on the first visit. This time they simply gave me the answer 'We cannot find any problems'. What do you do???? Since I haven't found a forum message saying how to fix it, I'm at a loss.

#10 ·
I think there's just a little gremlin inside this column switch. This just happened to me again, and what seems to resolve the intermittent functioning is to toggle and tap on the end of the lever. I was thinking maybe there could be a defect in the auto mode sensor. Maybe it's sensing light from streetlights etc. And telling the sensor to turn the lights off. I've had time spans of six months and it doesn't malfunction and now I've had two in the last month. I'll just keep monitoring the situation if I discover anything further I'll let you know. I would like to suggest one thing. ALL OF US, let's try driving with the lights on in the day time in the auto and standard mode. Even though I know we won't see the lights flickering but you will hear the clicking of the relay as is in the night time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.