Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Veracruz GLS vibration at highway speeds. Only 8000 km on the odometer. Starts at 115 kph and can be felt and seen in the steering wheel. At 130 kph on HWY 401 here in Ontario Thursday it was vibrating so bad I was shaking in the driver's seat. Reported to the dealer last week (Tuesday) and tires were rebalanced. Apparently 3 were out of balance. If anything the problem now seems worse. The 401 trip had me worried. Very concerning at 125-130 kph. Feels like driving with a flat tire. Severe vibration with the steering wheel visibly moving a few cm left and right at high frequency. Strangely, if I accelerate quickly past 125 I can get it to the point where it's fairly smooth. If I slow down even 5 kph I'm back in the vibration and need to slow down to 100 to get out of it. Below 100-110 kph it seems fine. Just looking for any advice/suggestions before heading back to my dealer this coming week.

This vehicle had had issues from new. The ignition switch failed at 3000 km and the car was taken away on a flatbed. Key would not turn. 5 days to get a switch and replace it. Roof trim in front of roof rack defective from factory. Sticking up 1 cm. Days and days to sort it out. I'm hoping the vibration issue doesn't drag on for months and months.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Great forum. Invaluable when diagnosing the erratic fuel gauge in my 08 Santa Fe. (both sending units, of course)

·
Registered
578 Posts
It could be a defective tire.... Did they rotate the tires when the re-balancing was done? Moving a possible bad tire to the rear would change how the vibration is transmitted to the steering-wheel. I find Hyundai is general to be extremely slow diagnosing problems and acquiring the necessary parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be a defective tire.... Did they rotate the tires when the re-balancing was done? Moving a possible bad tire to the rear would change how the vibration is transmitted to the steering-wheel. I find Hyundai is general to be extremely slow diagnosing problems and acquiring the necessary parts.
That was next on my list, although when it got really bad it did feel like it was right front-left rear. The whole vehicle was shaking corner to corner. The last time I felt anything like that it was a drive shaft out of balance. This vehicle being AWD that is also a possibility I suppose, but I would have thought it would show itself more at all speeds.

·
Registered
578 Posts
That was next on my list, although when it got really bad it did feel like it was right front-left rear. The whole vehicle was shaking corner to corner. The last time I felt anything like that it was a drive shaft out of balance. This vehicle being AWD that is also a possibility I suppose, but I would have thought it would show itself more at all speeds.
The Veracruz operates in FWD mode until it senses wheel spin then the rears kick in up to a specific vehicle speed.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Out-of-round rim could also be causing it.

I'd seek a second opinion from a good alignment shop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drove the vehicle with Hyundai service manager today. Easy to see the steering wheel shaking. Going to the shop again Tuesday.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Drove the vehicle with Hyundai service manager today. Easy to see the steering wheel shaking. Going to the shop again Tuesday.
Funny, my 2012 VC GLS has _exactly_ the same problem. I have roughly 36k km now on it, and the problem showed up around 32k.

What was the culprit and solution?

·
Registered
217 Posts
But the driveshaft is still turning, isn't it?
Just out of curiosity I checked this out. Per the service manual/diagrams, the main AWD clutch is in the coupling assembly, located next to rear differential. With that the driveshaft indeed would be turning always.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Funny, my 2012 VC GLS has _exactly_ the same problem. I have roughly 36k km now on it, and the problem showed up around 32k.

Answering my own question here :)

Took the car to the dealer today. They first balanced the wheels, but that did not help. Then they aligned the wheels/suspension and that seems to have fixed the shaking issue completely. The issue was that both front wheels were "plowing" pretty severely.

In hindsight I do remember looking at the front tires earlier and wondering that they look like they were not wearing evenly. The outsides are worn more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Sorry for the late reply.

Was at the dealer this morning. Called Michelin and all 4 tires, Michelin Latitude 245/60R18, are being replaced by Michelin at no cost. I am NOT putting new Latitudes on it again. Instead I am going with Michelin LTX/MX. In a stroke of luck the Michelin rep just happened to be at my dealership today. He said he has seen many problems with the 245/60/R18 Latitude tires, but 99% of them were on the Veracruz. Go figure. Anyway, he suggested NOT installing them again and I had no trouble agreeing with him.

Since my last post the tires were road force balanced. Rears were at 7, the fronts were 29!!! and well beyond maximum limits. Tires were then rotated and rebalanced with enough weights to sink a battleship. Somewhat better riding, but still vibrating, although at slightly higher speeds. Still, once the tires heat up the steering wheel starts shaking. Bloody ****. What a disappointment.

When we called Michelin today we expected a heated battle. Once I told them the DOT #s on the sidewalls they instantly said they would give me 100% free replacement tires. That took us by surprise and does seem to suggest they know the tires are problematic. Even the rep was amazed. And again, I lucked out having him in the building. He was able to process everything right away. The new tires should be here next week.

One more thing; while looking at the tires today we noticed all of the sidewalls are cracking. Odd for tires with 6000 miles on them. More proof that they are indeed just crap. Lesson learned.

I put new tires on the Santa Fe last month. Toyo Versado CUV. Money well spent. Very pleased so far. Had Michelin not replaced the tires on the Veracruz today it would have had new Toyo Versados installed also. I would have enjoyed burning those awful Latitudes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Okay, I also experience vibration on the expressway. My main observation with the Veracruz when we got ours is that all the wheels seemed to had negative camber, but being a new vehicle I did not pay much attention to it, thinking it was just the way the body was made. I always looked at the tires now and then at gas stations to see excessive wear. Now I am able to see the inner sides of the front tires are more worn(we got it in 2011). The back tires look okay, they still have sipes which is normal for a FWD vehicle I guess.

Our 04 SRX had a negative camber problem seven years into ownership so this issue kept coming up in my mind.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The concern I have with the vibration is that over time the non-stop shaking will eventually wear out the front end components. My steering wheel is moving 1/2 -1 inch side to side at freeway speeds. It's almost violent. Eventually that will translate into odd tire wear and component wear. Now, is your tire wear due to the vibration, or is the vibration due to your tire wear? My Veracruz shook on the test drive with no mileage on it. The OEM tires are crap. Michelin knows that. The reps know that. Now I know that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The new tires have arrived. I'm too busy to have it done this week, so next Tuesday the LTX M/S go on and I can put an end to the vibration.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
New tires and no more vibration. Glad it's finally sorted out and glad Michelin ponied up for the new LTX M/S tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Seppo,
Did they charge you for the wheel alignment?
I am experiencing the same thing on my 2012 Veracruz GLS. Wondering if I should bother going to the dealer or going to the local Canadian Tire/Active Green+Ross.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
Did they charge you for the wheel alignment Seppo?
I have the same thing happening to my Veracruz and I don't want to have to bother with the going to the dealership when Canadian Tire has better hours to accommodate.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Silverstrom
I just noticed your post. Do you have the DOT # that had the issue? Mine is DOT OC4A LPVX and I think the tires may be the culprits...
Thanks.
John

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi
Did they charge you for the wheel alignment Seppo?
I have the same thing happening to my Veracruz and I don't want to have to bother with the going to the dealership when Canadian Tire has better hours to accommodate.
Thanks
John
Yes, I had to pay for the alignment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts