Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Sonata - Engine 2.4L w/ 114K miles. Its using 1/2 - 3/4 quart oil a week, roughly 240-300 miles. 85% highway.
No leaks, no smoke from exhaust. Using 5w-20 synthetic blend oil.
Really like this car. But this concerns me especially since its approaching the 120K powertrain extension.. It had the recall engine test and received the orange dipstick around 80K. Any idea what I'm dealing with now and in the future fellas?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
If you have been reading here you know most are saying to use 5W-30 and a full synthetic. Others have taken their's to have the oil consumption monitored by the dealer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only issue with going 5w-30 full is if something happens to the engine and they test the grade of the oil they will not back the warranty repair.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
They are obliged to honor it...the manual says it can be used.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine started consuming a similar amount around that mileage. I've now made it a habit to check the oil every time I fill up the gas tank and usually need to add 1/2 qt, so its using about 1 qt every 1,000 miles. If you google oil consumption, you will see this amount is not considered unusual for many vehicles.

·
Registered
289 Posts
2012 Sonata - Engine 2.4L w/ 114K miles. Its using 1/2 - 3/4 quart oil a week, roughly 240-300 miles. 85% highway.
No leaks, no smoke from exhaust. Using 5w-20 synthetic blend oil.
Really like this car. But this concerns me especially since its approaching the 120K powertrain extension.. It had the recall engine test and received the orange dipstick around 80K. Any idea what I'm dealing with now and in the future fellas?
have you tried changing the PCV Valve if You have not changed it do so its pretty cheap and simple to do Yourself.?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Experiencing the oil consumption issue as well. Took it to the dealer, they changed the PCV valve and asked me to come back after 1K miles. I've only done about 700 miles now and already see the oil level lower than the "F" mark on the dipstick.

I have a question to anyone who knows- Will I be charged for anything on the completion of the consumption test from the dealership? I already paid for the valve they changed but was wondering if they would stick me with all the oil top-ups or any other charges once the test is completed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2011 2.4 started using excessive (my definition) oil at about 85k. After never using a drop, I now am probably in the quart every 2.500 mile range at 98k. My car passed the recall test. I tested the PCV valve this weekend and it's fine.
From reading the old threads, it sound like dealers will do consumption tests ad nauseum and it'll be greater than 1qt/1000, so they won't do anything. Hyundai thinks 1 qt / 1000 miles is fine, so they are not interested. So there's nowhere to go unless we seize up? Is there anything positive or proactive that I've missed?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was having the exact same issues once my 2011 Sonata hit about 120K, mostly highway miles also. There was no signs of leakage, found out that my car was actually burning oil as I drove. Recently took the car to dealership and they performed an oil consumption test over the course of about a 5 weeks. On my last check of the consumption test they finally were able to fully diagnose my car. Called and informed me that they would submit a request to Hyundai for a engine replacement, after about two more days I was informed that Hyundai agreed to replace the engine (free of charge) and cover the cost of a rental vehicle in the meantime. Mind you I have no warranty. The rep mentioned the recall for the engine defects and although the symptoms didn't correlate to my problem that Hyundai would more than likely be willing to replace it anyways.

Although the entire ordeal is inconveniencing to say the least, I can say that I am happy with the outcome and fact that this is being taken care of by Hyundai

·
Registered
186 Posts
Weirdly enough, not long before this post went up, my '11 2.4L started consuming WAY more oil than it was for the past year I've had it; now using a quart every 500 miles. Mind you, this still isn't as bad as the AMC 4.0Ls I'm used to dealing with in the past, so it doesn't bother me. But even using 5W30 after the recall was performed, consumption just recently went rapidly up. I'll probably have them do an oil consumption test on mine as well; I don't mind adding oil, but it's concerning how it would go from using a quart every couple thousand to every 500 almost overnight with no change in driving behavior, no leaks, and no change in oil brand or weight.

·
Registered
50 Posts
@Jeremy00 Since they took the decision to replace your engine, I'm sure they did not charge you for any of the oil consumption tests. Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know what happens when they complete the multiple oil consumption tests and outcome is acceptable level of oil consumption i.e. they tell you this is normal and don't do anything about it. Do they charge you anything for all the tests that were carried out (extra oil put in/labor charge/other charges etc.)?

·
Registered
782 Posts
You can try switching to quality full synthetic oil that has less evaporation in high temperature. Based on NOACK Volatility Test, Pennzoil full syn has relatively lower evaporation loss compare to other brands, so there's less chance of blocking valves and polluting sensors, and also did pretty well in other tests
http://superoilcentral.com/synthetic-motor-oil-comparison/
Volatility of oil isn't the issue causing increased oil consumption, it's the design and subsequent wear of the engine. Sure oil volatility may make a teaspoon level of difference in a 7.5K mile range, but with oil consumption rates higher than that (in the quart/1k mile range), it's due to sloppy tolerances on engine components where oil is seeping through and combusting.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same issue just about 3 months prior to my engine going out. It just went out last Tuesday. At 82k. Is your dipstick burnt looking? The oil cap seems excessively difficult to remove? Tarnish just under the oil cap?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually they did charge me for the test whenever I initially brought my car in for a diagnostic, I didn't even ask for a refund once all was said and done with the engine replacement. Whenever I dropped by for each oil check (around 500-700 miles) they'd simply mark the level and then refill the oil to the standard amount, no extra charges. Yes, I was told each time that it was consuming an unusual amount of oil but nothing more specific than that. I wasn't too concerned on the levels because all of the information they were telling me I already knew, I was just more focused on the end result of whether or not they were going to replace whatever the problem was, at no cost to me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Actually they did charge me for the test whenever I initially brought my car in for a diagnostic, I didn't even ask for a refund once all was said and done with the engine replacement. Whenever I dropped by for each oil check (around 500-700 miles) they'd simply mark the level and then refill the oil to the standard amount, no extra charges. Yes, I was told each time that it was consuming an unusual amount of oil but nothing more specific than that. I wasn't too concerned on the levels because all of the information they were telling me I already knew, I was just more focused on the end result of whether or not they were going to replace whatever the problem was, at no cost to me.
If not the oil refills at every stage, then what were you charged for? And how much?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Checked mine after PCV change and using 5W-30 synthetic for a year. Half a quart in 1500 miles.
35 deg. today, full tank, 4 people, 61 mph for 80 miles 42.6 mpg (computer) 153,000 miles on the car.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Switched to 5w-30 full syn...still using 1 Qt. every 1k. No smoking...no burning smells & no leaks...WTH! Maybe I should run 10w-40 and see what happens

1 - 20 of 62 Posts