Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share, I had to replace all my tires and found out from the dealer you can go 3% higher than stock size. I did this when I got tires at Discount Tire. It does make a difference. When I hit bumps its was less of an impact at least to me. Just wanted to share. I wanted bigger tires since the car has lo-pros from the factory.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
You might want to change the title of your post. It sounds like a help request.
Something like. Good information on tires for low profile.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,603 Posts
I dont know what size the 2012 had but the LF (2015-2018) stock are 235/45/18 (26" diameter ) and you can easily fit 245/45/18 that increase the diameter from 26" to about 27" and the difference from most that have done it say it corrects the speedo to a more accurate measurement , also slightly fills the gap in the wheel wells and no rubbing. In theory it could slightly decrease mileage due to more rolling resistance.

When its time to replace my tires Ill go to 245/45/18

·
Registered
317 Posts
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here is a picture of the total effect on the dimensions of changing the tire size using the values referenced. Calculator courtesy of Discount Tire website:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
My 2012 Turbo came with 225/45/18 and I replaced them with 245/40/18 on the oem rims without a problem.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I dont know what size the 2012 had but the LF (2015-2018) stock are 235/45/18 (26" diameter ) and you can easily fit 245/45/18 that increase the diameter from 26" to about 27" and the difference from most that have done it say it corrects the speedo to a more accurate measurement , also slightly fills the gap in the wheel wells and no rubbing. In theory it could slightly decrease mileage due to more rolling resistance.

When its time to replace my tires Ill go to 245/45/18
I forgot about speedo changes from wrong (non factory) tires.
Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So, with only 11,000 miles, my Goodrich Comp TAs were shot. replaced then with Advantage TA in 225/50 18. Made all the difference in the world! So much more comfortable and quiet as well. Haven't had it in rain yet, but I expect it to do well...anything has to be better than those Comp TA tires in the wet.

The higher profile also made my speedo dead on at all speeds. Best improvement I've done on the car to date.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm going 225/50 18 next time around.
I went to this set up this Spring from a 245/40 18 set up. I prefer the slightly extra sidewall height, and the tire is a more comfortable ride. General Altimax RT43 tires, T rated. I gave up a bit of steering responsiveness and I am happy with the trade off, given the car is my daily commuter.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So with larger tires (225/50 R18) comes larger responsibility. When I make a full lock left, the tire rubs the speed sensor cable and makes it malfunction. I'm looking at it and it seems straightforward to replace. I assume just remove the inner wheel well cover and it's plug and play?

Anyone else with oversize tires run into this? Is there a way to protect it so it doesn't happen or do we just have to learn how to drive to prevent it?

·
Registered
907 Posts
I went the opposite route, since i'm running 18x8's I went with a 245/40 tire for more traction (I should be over 300whp pretty soon). Ebay had a 15% off everything sale so I pulled the trigger and saved $79. They should be arriving later today.

ebay tires.png

·
Registered
196 Posts
FWIW, on a 2012 SE the 225/50 18 will rub and tear the abs wheel sensor wire on the passenger side if you make a hard left at full lock. This has been an expensive mistake. Should have switched to 17's.

·
Registered
407 Posts
FWIW, on a 2012 SE the 225/50 18 will rub and tear the abs wheel sensor wire on the passenger side if you make a hard left at full lock. This has been an expensive mistake. Should have switched to 17's.
Thanks for sharing. Will take a look when I am under the car the next time for an oil change. Have had the 225/50 18 on since March and have rarely done a full lock.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Will take a look when I am under the car the next time for an oil change. Have had the 225/50 18 on since March and have rarely done a full lock.
Always good to check, but not all tires are necessarily created equal and you may not be rubbing.

My comment is more about the "rarely done a full lock" part. do you not drive in parking lots?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Will take a look when I am under the car the next time for an oil change. Have had the 225/50 18 on since March and have rarely done a

My comment is more about the "rarely done a full lock" part. do you not drive in parking lots?
? Definitely definitely definitely do not ever run 245/55/18s!! Had to swap from the wife’s suv last year Just to get a quick inspection ( got stopped the one time I took it out in winter an forgot the sticker was up) and HOLY crap! I felt like I was driving my truck an the slight piss flap rub with a slight turn was bad!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts