Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Sonata Hybrid that, until last year at about 83K miles had been a great car for me and later my daughters. On a long drive last summer, the car essentially stalled and was taken to the closest dealer where they found and replaced a faulty electronic oil pump. From the day we picked up the car after that repair, we have been intermittently having the car stall out again and again, accompanied by the "Hybrid System Warning - Safely Stop and Do Not Drive" dashboard message. We restart the car and the message goes away. We take it to the dealer and they say there are no codes and they can't replicate the problem. Three times, they have performed various "computer system" updates (ECU, BMS, etc) to the tune of +$700 total, since those updates aren't covered by the warranty. :mad:

I'm about at my wits end. These events, which only happened about once every few months for the first 9 months, are increasing in frequency to the point where it happens about once a week now and on one occasion twice in one day. Luckily, they only seem to be occurring now when the car is stopped at a traffic light or right after putting it in to gear after being parked. But still I fear that my daughter who drives the car now is going to get stranded some day, or worse. I've tried calling corporate customer care and they have not offered any additional help. What am I supposed to do with this car???!!!!

Thanks for any advice,
Don H.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I would suggest that you take a picture each and every time this warning happens that they "can't duplicate"!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've shown them one picture, but you're right... having it documented so they can see the mileage at every occurrence would be even better.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ya, it sucks to have to resort to that, but sometimes these issues are very complex and hard to reproduce. This way, it helps the shop as well as yourself because if they can't fix it in 3 tries then you can open a case to have them buy it back. In CA, I believe this goes up to 120K miles (prorated) before it is null.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, North Carolina does not seem to be as consumer friendly. From what I have found, the Lemon Law here is only good for 2 years or 24K miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2012 Sonata Hybrid that, until last year at about 83K miles had been a great car for me and later my daughters. On a long drive last summer, the car essentially stalled and was taken to the closest dealer where they found and replaced a faulty electronic oil pump. From the day we picked up the car after that repair, we have been intermittently having the car stall out again and again, accompanied by the "Hybrid System Warning - Safely Stop and Do Not Drive" dashboard message. We restart the car and the message goes away. We take it to the dealer and they say there are no codes and they can't replicate the problem. Three times, they have performed various "computer system" updates (ECU, BMS, etc) to the tune of +$700 total, since those updates aren't covered by the warranty. :mad:

I'm about at my wits end. These events, which only happened about once every few months for the first 9 months, are increasing in frequency to the point where it happens about once a week now and on one occasion twice in one day. Luckily, they only seem to be occurring now when the car is stopped at a traffic light or right after putting it in to gear after being parked. But still I fear that my daughter who drives the car now is going to get stranded some day, or worse. I've tried calling corporate customer care and they have not offered any additional help. What am I supposed to do with this car???!!!!

Thanks for any advice,
Don H.
I have a 2012 Sonata Hybrid, and I'm the original owner with 94,000 miles on the car. I was pulling into a parking lot on 09/21/2019 when I had a complete brake failure. Thank God, I was only going about 10 MPH. Brake pedal went to the floor. Horrible grinding sound from all the wheels. Chiming Alarm. "Hybrid System Warning. Check Brakes". Parked the car. Got out and looked all around. No leaks. Checked the brake fluid level, and it was OK. Turned the car back on and no warnings. Backed car up and no grinding sound.

Called the dealer. Hybrid mechanic was in and near the phone. Sounded like he never encountered this problem before. Told me to check brake fluid. Turn car off and on. Already did all that. Today, I took the car to a local brake shop. Checked for leaks and fluid levels. Checked the computer for codes. Everything checked out OK. Reluctant to go to dealer which is 40 miles away when there is no current issue. I assume that they'll just start replacing parts like master cylinder at $500 and the hydraulic power unit for $1500 plus labor ?. Who knows, the sky's the limit.

We were out of town and 150 miles from home when this happened and nearly as far to the nearest dealer. No problems since this happened other than being as nervous as **** for the entire drive home. It took a lot of internet searching to find out if others had this problem; and today, I finally found others who have experienced this identical issue.

I would suggest that anyone who had a similar issue file a complaint at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ Maybe they will open an investigation and encourage Hyundai to do a recall. When I searched the complaints about Sonata Hybrids, I found identical problems to ours in the years 2011 - 2013 but didn't find any in subsequent years. This may indicate Hyundai was aware of the problem and made corrections.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The first problem was the electronic oil pump, and I suggest the new replacement is not achieving the minimum
psi required on a regular basis, so it shuts the car down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah... I don't think they paid much attention to me when I brought it in to my local dealer the first time and told them the history. I think they have ignored that piece of information in their troubleshooting so far.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Thanks for any advice,
Don H.
PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE NHTSA TO GET A RECALL INVESTIGATION.
It's simple and fast. All you need is your VIN, which is on your insurance cards if you're not in your car.
File here:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts