Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 4cylinder sonata died while driving. I had just put $5 in gas. Was driving in manual mode. I had just geared down to 2nd and it died. It will crank but will not start. I don't know a whole lot about these newer vehichles. I've read a lot on the net saying it's crank sensor. I don't know. Please someone help me. It's my only transportation and my 65yr old mother in law has bad health and doc appointments to go to. I can send pics, phone number, Facebook etc. Need help please.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Okay, so only two gallons or so added. Was it out of gas? How many miles on the car? Did it make any unusual noises? Is it cranking normally, or doing any backfiring, sputtering, etc? Was it running normally before the gas was added?

DON'T START SWAPPING PARTS. YOU WILL SPEND A LOT OF TIME AND MONEY AND PROBABLY NOT FIND THE PROBLEM.

I capitalize that because we see a lot of folks who try to repair without finding the problem first and get nowhere in a hurry. Give us more info and description and we will try and help.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Do you have a local mechanic who you trust that can take a look at the car? By the time the truly, truly helpful folks on the forum can diagnose and help you determine what the issue is, a mechanic might have the answer and be on the way to getting you on the road again.

If time is of the essence to help you get back on the road for your mother-in-law's medical issues, this might be a better path to take.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Start by going back to basics
Check for spark at the spark plug wires
Check for fuel pressure
Check for injector pulse
ETC ....

After getting some results from those tests, you can better form a diagnosis
And how to proceed to troubleshoot the issues you are having

Post back with results and someone will let you know what to check next.
Unless you can't wait and just want to spend money throwing parts at the car .. trying to fix it????

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Start by going back to basics

Check for spark at the spark plug wires -- yea, no plug wires though.. DVOM at connector por power and ground toggle,, or pull coil and use a plug for test

Check for fuel pressure - primary pump to feed GDI pump,, no gauge test past the GDI pump..

Check for injector pulse -- NOPE !! 55V GDI injectors, hidden too,, monkey with injector circuit will kill you from what we told at school...
ETC ....

After getting some results from those tests, you can better form a diagnosis
And how to proceed to troubleshoot the issues you are having

Post back with results and someone will let you know what to check next.
Unless you can't wait and just want to spend money throwing parts at the car .. trying to fix it????

Scan first,, that is easiest thing to do..

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Scan first,, that is easiest thing to do..
The 2012 Sonata is a GDI engine?
The way they make these engine more and more complicated
It seem hardly likely that anyone will be doing DIY to fix???
At least not without the right training and equipment

Feel like a dinosaur ....

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Waiting for phone number, pictures, and facebook.....

Call a cab.

My Sonata did the same thing. It was the flux capacitor and muffler bearing. Both failed at the same time.

Reactions: avisitor
1 - 9 of 9 Posts