Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first time posting here. Spend most of my time on the FJ Cruiser forums, however my girlfriend has a 2012 Sonata 2.0T that has had me learning a lot about Sonatas, Turbos, and engine issues, unfortunately.

I am basically out of suggestions at this point and hoping some of you guys that have dealt with Hyundai may have had similar experiences or some ideas.

She bought the car used a couple years ago, and it had been great up until November 2017 (97,800 miles). It had the issue I have read about a lot on this forum where it loses power since the Westgate is stuck open. I read the fault code (p2562) sounded like that was it and she took it to the dealership. Took them a day or two and they replaced Westgate and everything was back to normal. They also suggested replacing serpentine belt which was done and fixed the steering column knocking that apparently happens to all of these cars for some tiny amount like $5. Problems solved, good to go.

Come to Feb 2018 (102,000 miles) and the car gets the exact same loss of power symptoms. I read the fault codes and get the same one so she gets an appointment and takes the care back to the dealership.

She gets a different advisor who is in his first week there. She doesn't get a loaner just has someone take her to work as she figures it will be like the last time and take a day or two max. One day goes by, NOTHING. So she calls and no one can get in touch with the advisor. Day two she calls and is first told "yes I think your car is about ready to be picked up, I will have the advisor call you right back". He calls, and tells her that the car is not ready to be able to pick up and that it could be 4-6 weeks but no other details..... She did not really know what to even ask so she had me call them.

At this point I talk to the advisor. All I could get out of him was that the engine caught fire and that it needed a new engine and it would take 4-6 weeks. He couldn't tell me how it caught fire and I could never get through to a manager only their voicemail.

After a few more days of phone tag she gets an actual manager who informs her that the original service advisor has been fired after less than a week on the job. She is given the same advisor as the Nov trip and they assure her they will get it taken care of, yet they still cannot explain exactly what happened to the car and this fire. At this point they get her a rental car and stated they have to submit it to Hyundai corporate to have the engine approved. She specifically asked if this had to do with the warranties with the engines and they stated it did NOT. He did send her the attached photo which seems like more than a fire to me....

Corporate out of CA sent an investigator and she was since only been dealing with the corporate advisor. This week, he came back and said they would like to just give her an offer to buy her car from her. First offer was relatively low (lower than the KBB trade in value). Next he said that they would pay the amount she owes on the car loan but would not be able to pay anymore. He pretty much told her that is her only option at this point. Also asked this advisor if he knew what happened and he said he only gets the information that the inspector suggested to buy the car from the customer.

So while, at least with her deal she is done with dealing with Hyundai at least. She is also without a car, and needs to spend some more money just to put a downpayment on a new car, which of course she was not planning on buying right now.

Any idea if it is worth trying to get more and more offers? Does she have any other options besides taking their payment? I am sure I do not even want to know what the cost of an engine replacement at a dealership is.

At this point I am tempted to get her to talk to a lawyer, mainly because I want to know what actually happened and cannot believe that NO ONE can give an explanation to what caused a fire/hole in the side of the engine, randomly.

Any help would be great, at this point I think we both are ready to jus get this over with.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Looks like a QQH engine replacement to me..

·
Registered
907 Posts
From that pic you can clearly tell it threw a rod, hot oil went everywhere and started a fire. It's unfortunate but it happens, just be grateful that it didn't happen when she was driving it on the interstate.

Let them replace the motor then sell the car, if the fire caused enough damage to total the car then you can contact someone from corporate to help mediate the situation. There are several corporate people you can contact via Facebook, I only know a couple from the Kia side but I'm sure there are some on the Hyundai side as well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
They need to provide enough money to buy an equivalent car in very similar (pre-fire) condition, locally, minus whatever she currently owes on it. If she is upside down on the loan (owes more than it was worth) then getting the loan payed off is the most she can hope for (and more than they really have to do).

·
Registered
315 Posts
I assume she owes more than what the car is worth. I’d be a little upset, but that’s immediately offset with the loan payoff. Given the situation, I would start negiotitating a new car purchase with corporate and try to milk it some more, with additional savings on that deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the responses.

As above stated, yes, she owes either right at or slightly more than the car is valued at depending which site you base it on (for a car without a blown engine). And you are right, could have been worse, at least she wasn't driving it.

I think at this point she is going to try and push for a little more and wind up just taking their offer. I imagine they would be a lot more likely to help out if she made a deal with buying a vehicle from them, but I think at this point she is ready to just be done with the situation and away from Hyundai.

Thanks again for the replies!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Yep, somehow a rod went through the block and the spraying oil caught fire. Done deal, dealer has admitted they are at fault, stop stressing on that. The fact that the advisor was fired after one week is interesting... As in, was he driving the car when the rod took an exit???

Now, how about go to the dealer, corporate included, and just explain that you need a car, something happened to yours while in their possession, and lets work this out. If the old loan can be covered, ask if they can come up with some down payment assistance in the form of an at-cost equivalent vehicle. She may be able to swing a new loan without a down payment if the retail value of the replacement exceeds the loan by at least 10% (varies by locale and lender).

But, and I strongly urge you to do this, KEEP IT CIVIL. The dealer knows they screwed up, keep it on an even keel and they will appreciate your not rubbing their nose in it. I have stated on other threads, give the guy the chance to make your day better. Stuff happens.

Best of luck, I know this is frustrating, but with millions of autos on the road somebody is going to get hit with the freaky stick. Sorry your number was called.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts