Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased in Canada brand new and I've had issues with this car since the day I bought it.

Firstly the turbo went in the first month had to go in and get it serviced. Luckily the turbo never messed up since the first time.

The second month the subwoofer blew and started making distorting noises and odd vibrations. After getting it replaced, two months later, same issue, and again a couple of months after that. Was told by two dealerships, "I listen to my music too loud." Whatever that is supposed to mean as I have factory nav, and factory speakers, that were manufactured to go to 35 and I never listen to it that loud anyways.

Both passanger and driver door speakers have been making weird vibration noises from the second month of purchasing car. Replaced speakers, issue occurred again... Seems to have fully blown now.

Reverse camera stopped working couple months after getting the car, had to get it replaced, was working on and off, still giving me trouble sometimes when I shift to park, it just wont come up no matter what I do.

GPS started messing up a few months after purchase as well. Will be driving down main road, GPS is showing me driving over parks and houses. GPS was replaced, issue still happened, numerous attempts at doing a reset, still not working. After last time dealership touched the nav system, GPS doesn't even move anymore completely stationary.

Honestly that's not even all the issues. The car isn't even a full year old and the interior has cracks in places that hardly see any ware or usage. I've had issues with this creaking noise coming from the sun roof and the rear, months and I mean months later they put out a recall for the car that still hasn't fixed the issue.

I have a stack of service logs from three different dealerships trying to get these repeat issues fixed and I'm STILL stuck with a car I paid over 40,000$ for that has been nothing but headaches from the get go.

Now I'm not here trying to bash Hyundai or negate customers from considering purchasing one of the cars. I'm here trying to see if someone has had similar issues, if they have any suggestions on what could be done, legally or working with Hyundai to get these issues fixed.

I can't believe I bought this car and I've had to take it back almost every month at least twice since purchase. In my honest opinion that is just plain wrong.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You paid over $40,000 CD for a Sonata . . . ? I paid about $24K USD for my 2013 2.0T Limited-- but then I've not ever been back to a dealer with any problem (yet).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That doesn't surprise me in the least. When I purchased my Sonata they were starting at somewhere in the 30,000$ CAD but after the 'upgrades' it came to around 41,000$ CAD and like I've said has been a problem ever since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've left a message with Hyundai Canada head office customer relations hoping for them to return my call with some sort of solution or willingness to help a customer out. However from my previous experiance with them and their dealerships I'm really not expecting much help which is sad to say.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry to hear about your difficulties with your Sonata! Sonata's here in Canada cost more that in the US ... as does just about everything else!

I have had my 2011 GLS since new, now at 35000 km and all I have had to do is change the oil. I have no suggestions other than my experiences have pretty positive. Good Luck in getting all your issues resolved.

·
Registered
554 Posts
fwiw had an aftermarket backup camera installed by a knowledgable stereo installer and have the same intermittent issues - most times it works and sometimes it doesn't - no rhyme or reason.
Maybe the reverse signal is flaky that activates the camera????

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I picked up my car today from the dealership and they told me pretty much the whole nav/gps unit is dead and that it would HAVE to be replaced to get it working, and that it isn't covered by warranty anymore. Both speakers passenger/driver doors still messed up vibrating, weird distortion.

They did manage to get the creaking noise that's been driving me mad fixed. Pretty sure after trying to recreate the noise I couldn't anymore. I guess that is one plus for them out of the many negatives.

I have a lady by the name of Kristen from head office looking in to the issue with her warranty team. I guess she is also contacting the dealerships directly to see if she can get any information.

Unfortunately I don't think I want to even consider paying around $5,000 for a new nav unit that has been screwed up even after getting it replaced.. I may have to try and find a good aftermarket replacement.

Frustrated by this whole thing, beyond done with Hyundai if they cannot come up with a solution. Don't think it's fair for anyone to have to deal with that many repeat issues on a new car.

I've heard both sides. Lots of people say they have had no issues. Lots say they have had plenty of issues... Guess I'm one of those lucky ones who is stuck with the issues...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wow looks like a lemon you got there..I also have a 2013 turbo limited with navi. Paid 39k for it, the only issue I have with it is a squeaky driver seatbelt and rattling trim pieces here and there. Hope you get yours resolved soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is exactly how I feel and it is quite a piss off knowing I'm stuck with this lemon.

GPS system started working again by itself but somehow I'm set to 'MI' assuming Michigan, USA when it should be set to Ontario, Canada... If anyone knows how to set this back to Canada maybe my GPS will work again? Still not a solution as this is the third time it's crapped out on me...

Thinking about trading this car in now... fed up.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That is exactly how I feel and it is quite a piss off knowing I'm stuck with this lemon.

GPS system started working again by itself but somehow I'm set to 'MI' assuming Michigan, USA when it should be set to Ontario, Canada... If anyone knows how to set this back to Canada maybe my GPS will work again? Still not a solution as this is the third time it's crapped out on me...

Thinking about trading this car in now... fed up.
too bad we don't have the lemon law like the states. Here in Canada, the government loves to screw us as we bend over graciously. You'll take a big hit with depreciation when trading it in. If the car is mechanically perfect, I would just swap out the navigation and purchase the UNAVI for sonata models. It should be a direct fit, plug and play and it looks fairly OEM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
well where should I start!
Got sonata turbo limited edition i paid 32750$ best model in 4 states!!
1 day notice car pules to the left when you drive over 50 mph and as faster it goes the harder is to keep the car stable!
I went to dealer 4 times in the first month on the 4th time car was for 23 days people trying to figure out what is going on had 800 miles on tests!I have 9 aliments for one year!!I called BBB they went whit me on the test drive and there was one guy from Hyundai who claims that everything is normal whit the car so I went on the high way and drive 75 and let my hand on the steering wheel car from end right line went by it self to the end left one and almost hit the wall BBB agent was screaming from panic !!I asked her does she thinks this is safe car?She asked same question Hyundai guy and his respond was NO COMMENT! Maybe I should just left the car to crash in the wall maybe he will say something else!For pulling problem I went to 4 different dealers total 14 times spend hours sitting and waiting!The funniest part was the last dealer overdid everything all calibrations alignments car started to pull to the right!Now I have no comment!
My backup camera starting to show picture mirrored left is right and right is left-Dealer we never seen something like this! i put new tires 245/45/18 old ones are 225/45/18 just little bit wider,when I make full left turn right tire hits under fender but when I make right full turn nothing all good because of this I had to pay 249$ for speed sensor And I asked again why one tire touches and the other one not -DEALER RESPONSE IS WE DO NOT KNOW-REALLY???
And the latest BS is one day I tried to start my car and nothing firs my remote did not open the car ,so I tough maybe is the batteries went and get the second one nothing called the friend to give mr jump!same thing push button and nothing car dead after 30 min car start by it self ???
went to dealer left car for 3 days finally called me -It is been fixed !
ok I went and ask what was wrong whit it -Dealer say WE DON'T KNOW ,FIXED BY IT SELF IT TESTED 50 TIMES !! SO i TOLD EM IF MY STARTER GET ****** THEY WILL COVER ALL THE COST AND IT IS UNACCEPTABLE TO TELL ME CAR FIXED BY IT SELF!!
One thing for sure next car will be different!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts