Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe with Infinity Audio system and no navigation. Everything is stock and car has built-in factory amp and subwoofer. I bought the car 5 months ago from the dealership and purchased a warranty. There was only one owner before me and they took exceptional care of it.

It's a confusing issue so I hope you read through all info before responding.

Shortly after purchasing it I had an aftermarket amp and subwoofer installed professionally. (They informed me that this would not void the warranty) It was installed by it being wired directly to the factory amp. (So the factory sub is wired to factory amp and aftermarket sub is wired to aftermarket amp which is wired to factory amp, then wired to head unit)

Everything was fine for 2 months after installation.

One day my car wouldn`t start. I needed to get a boost and it turned out the battery was short on cold cranking amps. (Dealership looked it over) The battery was not covered under warranty so I got a second hand but un-used one from a neighbor who works for Hyundai. (It's a factory battery)
The battery was installed and the same issue happened a few times. These are the details of the issues:
-(Old battery / Sub hooked up) Travelled 10 KM, Car was off for an hour. The car didn`t start. Tried again right after, it started.
-(Old battery / Sub hooked up) Travelled 5 KM, Car was off for 2 hours. Didn't start, needed a boost.
-(New battery / Sub hooked up) Travelled 10 KM, Car was off for 1 hour. Didn't start, needed a boost.
-(New battery / Sub hooked up) Travelled 120 KM, Car was off for 20 minutes. Didn't start, had to put it on a battery charger.
-(New battery / No sub) Travelled 50 KM, Car was off for 20 minutes. Didn't start, tried again 10 minutes later, it started.
-(New battery / Sub hooked up) Travelled 25 KM, was off for 1 hour. Didn't start. Put the car in the neutral then back to park, started right away.

During the periods in which it didn't start, the car was not completely dead. It didn't show the battery light on the dash. When turning the key, all electronics turn on but it makes no noise (i.e. the noise of the engine turning over)

The issue is most common with the sub hooked up. However, has happened with the sub not hooked up and worked without issue for 2 months with sub hooked up. This leads me to believe its not directly the sub but it ties in with another issue.

I took the car to where I had the sub installed and they were able to show me that it is not the subwoofer drawing constant power.

I feel that maybe during longer drives, the sub is drawing more power for a longer time and the alternator isn't charging the battery fast enough to get it enough amps to start back up after a long travel with lost of dips of power from heavy bass. But there is no battery indicator light to acknowledge it is low. When putting the battery on the charger, it shows everything is normal.

I am seeking advice on this before I goto the dealership because even though they told me it doesn't void the warranty, I still feel they might throw the blame immediately to the sub before looking over all options.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Don't put an old battery to replace an old battery
Use, wear and age determine the state of the battery
Replacing an old battery with another old battery is just asking for more headaches

If you have any electrical issues then check all connections and terminals and grounding points
(note: remember to be safe and disconnect the battery)
Clean all terminals .. battery, starter, alternator
Clean all grounding points ... battery negative to grounding strap to chassis, engine grounding strap
Then check all fuses and relays

Good luck

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Welcome to the boards. There's a lot of knowledge here.

Ditto on what avisitor said. Regardless of how the battery looks, you can't make assumptions about it. Ground connections are right out in the open where corrosion can cause problems, especially in rust belt areas.

We don't know where you are. Help us help you. Click on your screen name to go to your profile, and fill in all information shown with a pencil icon. Knowing where you're located, along with everything else, will be information that's good to know. What you enter will show up in the left margin.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
You'd need a meter to test charging and/or get the alternator tested.

Driving with the Sound system on will be draining power. If its low already it takes a lot of driving to bring the battery up.

Everyone should do this to start with since you're driving blind. I have this sort of thing in my vehicles. This one is in my Highlander now and a dual USB port white one in the SF now. Then I know if I am really low.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/cm-2007-2012-santa-fe/368097-must-have-mod-anyone-can-do-sf-dvm.html

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Did the auto stereo shop inform you how much power that after market amp draws? Many can exceed modern alternator outputs.

Do you know how may watts it is and channels its drive also watts/channel?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts