Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Santa Fe SE with Trailer Package, when I made the purchase and saw that this option was available I was happy as I planned to use it to haul fire wood occasionally or stuff.

After I got home with the new vehicle I realized there was no trailer hitch receptacle and no way to plug in trailer lights. So I called Hyundai Corporate because the dealer could give me no details as to why these things were missing. The Hyundai Corporate rep told me the vehicle came with a transmission cooler, larger tires and 4 pre drilled holes under the frame to mount a receiver hitch, no wiring or anything else. So I went to AutoAnything | Auto Accessories & Aftermarket Parts | Truck Accessories & Car Accessories - Floor Mats, Tonneau Covers & Car Covers and purchased:

CURT T-Connectors http://www.autoanything.com/towing/75A3875A0A0.aspx

Draw-Tite Receiver Hitches

Color/Style Round Tubing - 3,500 lb/5,000 lb
Vehicle2012 Hyundai Santa Fe
SubmodelAll Santa Fe models
AutoAnything SKU3729204
Part Number75684

Here's the problem, I Purchased the car 12/2011, purchased the trailer accessories in 4/2012 this November I noticed the Yellow running lamps on the Driver side were out (2 on rear 1 in front). Being it was on one side it I knew it was more then just blown bulbs. I brought it to the dealer and he told me it that its an electrical grounding issue and not covered by the warranty because I used an after market wiring harness for the trailer lights.

I pointed out to him:

1) Hyundai didn't (and still does not) provide wiring harness for the trailer lights.

Now I'm not an electrical engineer but if the their was a problem with grounding on the wiring harness wouldn't it be present when only when the trailer lights are pugged in (the trailer is home with me not at the dealer).

The wiring harness I purchased plugs into the existing vehicle wiring (no cut wires) and that would mean that the "grounding" is done by the vehicles internal wiring. If the wiring harness was unplugged and the vehicle wires were plugged into their original ports then the problem should disappear.

But the problem remains how can they provide the Trailer package option and not all the components to complete it. How can the deny my warranty on "aftermarket" components when they fail to provide all the "Approved" components.

I contacted Hyundai Corporate but they can't make the dealer use the warranty. I have to wait till Monday to see what's next.

Anybody have any insight or advice?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a used Hyundai Hitch that came with wiring from a Hyundai mechanic and the wiring looks pretty much the same as what you have.

I think they are just giving you the run around and I would press them a lot harder for free repair. They'll use that line for everything now.

I should add that I have not been impressed with Hyundai service reps. compared to other dealerships. I've been to 3 and all were sub-par. I think it's a sign of the times from many dealers of all makes. I've hear bad reports both from the public and from mechanics that work there that are all getting scr**ed. I know a Master Toyota Mechanic who is thinking about a different line of work because the mgmt. is treating him so badly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
When I bought my 2011, I purchase the trailer option and it came with everything, the external electrical hook up, the chassis hitch and the receiver. All direct from Hyundai. This was all included on my window invoice and if I remember rightly, it had a retail of $350.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts