Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone with this model verify if you can stream/charge from an iPhone through the usb cable?

Mine gives me a connection error and does nothing. I know I can charge from the power outlet and stream through bluetooth, but would prefer to have metadata on the screen which bluetooth doesn't do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same question and that's not possible with an iPhone. The only way you can get metadata (from songs) onto the radio is by using the "iPod cable" made specifically for Hyundai / Kia systems. It's a wire that connects to the USB and AUX ports together. Otherwise, you can stream using Bluetooth which doesn't give you any information on your radio and you can charge using the USB port. I'm guessing the technology in the 2012 Elantra isn't able to read information from newer devices.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have the 2012 Limted with factory Nav, does your car have the Nav package? You cannot charge an iphone nor connect your media from the iphone to the car stereo with a standard Lightning cable. You will get a Media connection error message. You should connect your media to the stereo through bluetooth and use a cigarette lighter USB charger device to power your iphone for charging purposes. If your Nav package map version is too old, you will not see MetaData info on the screen during Bluetooth playback. If you update the map package, it also upgrades the head unit firmware to allow limited MetaData display (Device name, Artist , Song ---- NO Album Art though). You can use steering wheel controls to rewind / skip song selection (works with Apple Music and Amazon Music apps on my phone - I assume it works with other standard media apps like Pandora / Spotify but I don't have those). See pics below of the map version I am currently running to allow this and a picture of the MetaData display.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's awesome info bdahl385, thank you! Looks like your software version is a few generations newer than mine. Good to know the update does metadata.

Now to convince myself to blow the $175usd on an update

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
That's awesome info bdahl385, thank you! Looks like your software version is a few generations newer than mine. Good to know the update does metadata.

Now to convince myself to blow the $175usd on an update
I paid 169.00 USD in June 2017 for the map/FW upgrade package. It is ridiculously expensive but my daughter really wanted the MetaData for her music and I wanted the upgraded maps for her safety. Now she rarely uses the Nav and instead uses Waze or Google Maps directly off her iPhone for navigation. These map people are out of their mind if they are going to get many people to buy map upgrade s/w packages at >$150.00 when you get better/more updated Nav packages with real time traffic re-routing off of smart phones for free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts