Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car has started doing a clacking clicking noise when I press the accelerator and then on idle.
2012 Elantra Limited 1.8 with ~76000km

It's the same sound as when you play a racing video game and your car is damaged :)

Just feel like sharing what happened:

Took it to the dealer yesterday - extended warranty in hand - and explained my problem.
Service guy then takes the keys and wants to hear for himself before sending to mechanic. Starts the car, presses the gas lightly and shuts it down. I ask if he heard that thing before, to which he replies that yes indeed - there's another Elantra in the shop getting a new engine for that problem. I wasn't sure if he was joking as I was expecting something less grim like a bad injector. So I went in the waiting room and waited and could hear a short time later the techs revving my engine that made that clacking clicking.

Half hour later I get called in and accused of not taking care of my car. Service guy shows me a small handwritten piece of paper and says there's a big gap in my oil changes interval. He takes me by surprise as I've always went to the dealer for all my maintenance. I then recall one instance where the service guys didn't enter the proper KM in the system, but he doesn't sound convinced. He then says they have sent a request to Hyundai and they'll call me back and he'll now go fetch my car.

I go outside and wait for it and when he pulls up I ask him if he has a few minutes to go over my maintenance records to clear that thing up. He says he has no time now. So I replied that I'll go home and find all my maintenance bills. He says yes, do that and wait for the call. I find it ridiculous that Hyundai would deny a claim because dealer made a mistake in the KM. He then says I also have a K&N intake and blames it on that. I reply that I've had it for 6 years and it was never an issue. He replies that you never know. And that they'll do their best with Hyundai, so I leave.

As I drive away I realize that he got me mad about those oil changes and I never even asked him for the official diagnosis.

Went home, found some bills and put the data in excel:

2015-04-11 41,807km oil change
2016-02-05 48,000km oil change 6,193 km since last change
2016-08-11 55,527km oil change 7,527 km since last change
2017-04-25 63,944km oil change 8,417 km since last change
2017-10-30 72,058km oil change 8,114 km since last change

The one with 48000 is the one I'm sure is causing the problem. If I remember well that's the one they had to correct manually because the original entered value was not making any sense - as if a odometer rollback was done. In hindsight I should have made sure they corrected that in all their systems when it happened, not just on my bill.

So now I'm waiting for their callback - he said it'll take about 24-48 hours to get Hyundai's OK.

And I'm stressing to find out if they'll deny the claim either on the oil change intervals or blame the K&N CAI.

The oil changes I can fight with my bills but the air intake will be a bit trickier.

I did a quick search and it appears lots of people have had their 1.8 NU replaced. Even the other Elantra at their shop at the time.

My plan is to wait and see. Maybe they'll accept with no issues.
Otherwise I know K&N has some warranty that their products will not cause a warranty claim denial. Otherwise it's an arbitration with camvap.ca

If they accept - do you think I can request the 2.0 from the 2014 Limited to be put in my 2012 Limited? :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds eerily similar to my current situation (in Toronto)...except no extended warranty...dealer said they would try to get the engine (part) under warranty but I would still be stuck for the labour.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sounds eerily similar to my current situation (in Toronto)...except no extended warranty...dealer said they would try to get the engine (part) under warranty but I would still be stuck for the labour.
No way would I take this that easily. Squeaky wheel gets the oil. If your perimeters fall inside the above PDF I would go to your local city and file for a picket permit. Get a 4 ft C 4 ft sign professionally made from a print shop and say Hyundai is not warrantying their cars as they should. Also file charges with your state attorney general. Watch how fast stuff happens.......... Oh your in Canada... Never mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello to all
I would like to know why my dealership wants to charge me hundreds of dollars to change my 1.8 liter engine in my Elantra 2012. My valves are very noisy and my motor is about to fail. Hyundai Canada recognizes this problem so why charge me. My college had the same problem and her motor was changed at no cost at all???

Bonjour à tous
J'aimerais savoir pourquoi mon concessionnaire veut me facturer des centaines de dollars pour changer mon moteur 1,8 litre dans mon Elantra 2012. Mes soupapes sont très bruyantes et mon moteur est sur le point de tomber en panne. Hyundai Canada reconnaît ce problème, alors pourquoi me facturer. Mon collège a eu le même problème et son moteur a été changé sans aucun frais ???

·
Registered
166 Posts
Doesn't it get cold in South Korea? 🤔

They seem to be using the interval as a way out of repairing for a known problem pretty much common in colder climates.

What is the interval for oil change? This a high maintenance vehicle?

·
Registered
23 Posts
@[Wojtek] :

1 - 8 of 8 Posts