Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please let the board know if you are having this problem. My 2012 SONTA GLS has about 200 miles and pulling RIGHT and having very difficult time dealing with Hyundai...They are in denial

·
Registered
41 Posts
this is the sonata forum..he's in the right place.

dont' feel bad my 2011 SE pulls left and test drove WITH the dealership and they acknowledged it. They did nothing. I complained to corporate they told me to shut up pretty much. I've read camber bolts help the issue, when asked corporate about it they said i would lose my warranty by modding the car...by a product they provide..? really...something you provide can void my warranty? needless to say i've given up with hyundai support.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (FriscoTx_2012GLS @ Jul 16 2011, 11:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=476553
Please let the board know if you are having this problem. My 2012 SONTA GLS has about 200 miles and pulling RIGHT and having very difficult time dealing with Hyundai...They are in denial

I too just purchased a 2012 Sonata Limited and noticed that it pulls to the right. I was just going to wait for the first oil change and talk to them when I go up to the dealer. I know it can pull a little to the right because the roads are sloped to the right but this seems alittle excessive. Maybe it needs alligned.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
i think its just the paskaa oem tires :grin: , night and day difference in every way since we got the Yokohma's on ours...

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (hyunnychub @ Jul 17 2011, 12:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=476894
i think its just the paskaa oem tires :grin: , night and day difference in every way since we got the Yokohma's on ours...
You could be right. Mine came with Hankook tires and are very noisy inside the car. I usually run Michelin on all of my vehicles and I'm sure they could have put alot better tire on. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
277 Posts
mine does as well.

calling the dealer in the AM. At least want to get it on record right away.
they are over an hour away though, so dont really want to make the trip if they can't do anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Although mine does not, apparently many others in AZ are having this problem. While at the dealer for an unrelated issue (dreaded brake switch failure), I saw an email laying around from Corporate announcing the creation of a West Coast Task Force for issues involving pulling to the left or right. So it seems like they're at least aware of the issue.

·
Registered
295 Posts
QUOTE (Chris Arcudi @ Jul 17 2011, 07:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=477050
You could be right. Mine came with Hankook tires and are very noisy inside the car. I usually run Michelin on all of my vehicles and I'm sure they could have put alot better tire on. Thanks for the info.
Kumho/Hankook do not even compare to Michelins. Michelins are pricey, but worth it in my opinion. Got 70K out of a set on our old Toyota.

I will be replacing mine with Michelins as soon as they wear out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
QUOTE (ten4ten8 @ Jul 18 2011, 10:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=477368
Although mine does not, apparently many others in AZ are having this problem. While at the dealer for an unrelated issue (dreaded brake switch failure), I saw an email laying around from Corporate announcing the creation of a West Coast Task Force for issues involving pulling to the left or right. So it seems like they're at least aware of the issue.
I'm going to try a few different air pressures to see if that has an impact. I suggest everyone take the first step of taking the car in to the service department and having them (a) attempt a fix and (B) document the issue.

It's interesting to hear that at least one dealership has received an email about this being a common issue, we'll see if that means they need to educate people about the different feel of the steering or if there is something to be done to resolve it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Sounds like they tried to fix the left pull issue on the 2011 and overcompensated and now it goes right for 2012. A lot of people on the 2011 had theirs fixed so it should be something they can fix on the 2012 too.

I do agree that the stock tires suck, I dumped my Kumho cause it was just dangerous driving in heavy rain with them and went with Yoko Avid Envigor. Well worth the investment and cost and they were a fraction of the price of a equivalent Michelin tire. Very happy with them. Was upgrading to 18" rims anyways so it was a good time to put on the tires I wanted too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well being that mine was made on 5/3/11 it must have alot of the changes they made for the 2012, since they had to start that not long after (they had to switch to the 2012 models by the end of may to get them out by June)... becuase mine went right as well.... I took it back twice... the last time they said they had to put the wheels on a machine or something (that they didn't have, so they had to take it to another dealer), that would spin them and take readings ect and tell them what position to place them on the car.... might be a load of BS... but it's not as bad as when I got it.. in fact... on some area of roads it goes straight as an arrow... and on others it will be a very slow drift to the right if I let go of the wheel.... which could be the crown....

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My car doesn't have the pull issue but the Sonata does tend to drift on uneven roads. I got 17" winters and 18" summers and noticed when I got the 18" the car tends to wander more than with the 17" on anytype of uneven roads or crowns. I'm gonna say slow drift is most likely caused by crowns or uneven roads, if it takes off right away it will be the pull issue people have talked about.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
khumo makes some outstanding tires. for those of you who do not dig them...I suggest you bought the wrong ones. twice in the past I dumped my stock hyundai michellins for khumos.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
QUOTE (HarborGrey @ Jul 18 2011, 09:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=477683
khumo makes some outstanding tires. for those of you who do not dig them...I suggest you bought the wrong ones. twice in the past I dumped my stock hyundai michellins for khumos.
I've heard good things about the Kumho's too but like every brand they have their low end stuff, mid level and high end stuff. Seems like the stock tires on most inexpensive cars tends to be the cheapest ones they can get from any tire manufactuer. They all tend to have crappy wear so you end up having to replace them in 3 - 4 years and are average at best in rain and dry condition. They will do the job just fine but when you get into conditions such as heavy rain or puddles they may not perform great at all or the best handling or the quietest.

In my previous cars I usually stuck with the stock stuff till replacement is needed, and I would probably have stuck with the Kumho here if it wasn't for the fact I wanted to get larger 18" wheels so the oppurtunty came up to get the best tire I could get and at that time the Avid Envigor was rated #1 on TireRack for all seasons so jumped at the deal, plus there was a $60 mail in rebate. The stock Kumho were good on dry roads, a bit noisey but not a huge issue. Light rain it did fine but when we got a heavy rain fall that car was hydroplanning like you wouldn't believe, it was pretty scary in that situation. Dealer said they have had a lot of customers come in and complained about the car in heay rain too. But I don't end up driving in heavy downpores that much so could live with the Kumho if I had too. Just need to slow way down and be a lot more careful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hyundai was in Denial but I was able to meet Hyundai's DPSM ( Divisional Parts & services manager) after several escalations. We test drove the car with him and demonstrated the problem. He did not admit that there is a problem but took the car to be looked at by Hyundai Engineers. In the background I think he assembeled a technical task force and tackeled the issue head ON. Finally, I got the car back and guess what ....the problem is fixed. The DPSM mentioned that all they did is just plain alignment, the previous attempt to align the car did not fix it because the service department did not have 2012 alignment spec. It is Hyundai's version of fixing the problem. After coming home I looked at the workorder and it mentions assembling of new front Camber Bolt.
Hope you can use this information to fix your problem as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
QUOTE (FriscoTx_2012GLS @ Jul 16 2011, 11:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=476553

UPDATE:

Hyundai was in Denial but I was able to meet Hyundai's DPSM ( Divisional Parts & services manager) after several escalations. We test drove the car with him and demonstrated the problem. He did not admit that there is a problem but took the car to be looked at by Hyundai Engineers. In the background I think he assembeled a technical task force and tackeled the issue head ON. Finally, I got the car back and guess what ....the problem is fixed. The DPSM mentioned that all they did is just plain alignment, the previous attempt to align the car did not fix it because the service department did not have 2012 alignment spec. It is Hyundai's version of fixing the problem. After coming home I looked at the workorder and it mentions assembling of new front Camber Bolt.
Hope you can use this information to fix your problem as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
QUOTE (FriscoTx_2012GLS @ Jul 19 2011, 12:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=478009
UPDATE: Hyundai was in Denial but I was able to meet Hyundai's DPSM ( Divisional Parts & services manager) after several escalations. We test drove the car with him and demonstrated the problem. He did not admit that there is a problem but took the car to be looked at by Hyundai Engineers. In the background I think he assembeled a technical task force and tackeled the issue head ON. Finally, I got the car back and guess what ....the problem is fixed. The DPSM mentioned that all they did is just plain alignment, the previous attempt to align the car did not fix it because the service department did not have 2012 alignment spec. It is Hyundai's version of fixing the problem. After coming home I looked at the workorder and it mentions assembling of new front Camber Bolt. Hope you can use this information to fix your problem as well.
Very interested in what camber bolt adjustment was included. Any chance you can scan and attach your work order so other can use it as a reference point in dealing with their respective service departments? We'd be in your debt!

1 - 20 of 120 Posts