Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:00000732:Hi guys i just bought a 2012 sonata hybrid with 0 miles on it for a really good price but its been about a month since i have it and its averaging only 19 mpg ?

i have droven it about 420 miles in the month and all locally driven to make short trips less then 5 miles just to run some errands and city inspections

should i go to the dealer or wait ??

let me know what mpg u get in the city

Oh yeh this car is going to enter in the new "green cab" livery here in new york city so city mpg is a big concern for me

starting in a week this car will be driven about 16 hours a day if that helps

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
That will be the coolest cab in the city! Driving a hybrid in the city takes some getting used to. As hard as it will be in Manhattan, try to avoid jack rabbit starts. If you're driving on an avenue, the traffic lights are timed so you can tell when a light will change. Try to use that to your advantage by taking your foot off the gas well in advance of the changing light.

Of course, the real savings comes at red lights. When you're stopped, the engine is off. That's a lot of idling time spent not using gas.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Welcome !
Its best mpg is cruising on the highway and no hybrid will do well with short trips and lots of stop and go where the engine cools down.. It needs to be warmed up to allow the gas engine to cut off and on as the battery charges from excess energy production and recapturing from coasting and braking.. Note that idling with the AC on also dings the mpg as do power users from the battery systems. With that said I'd make sure all TSBs mentioned on this site are installed and check the air in the tires...10% or more over the door jamb listing will help.
You might want to do a "normal" trip from a full tank and mpg reset to compare to a typical city of 36 and highway of 44+
Do any other cab drivers use your model ? Compare with them. Also driving 16 hrs per day will certainly be a different mpg set than your recent 420 miles of short trips.
Good luck and please keep us informed.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
The HSH was mainly designed for the Highway

Sorry to say that if this car is mainly used for short trips you bought the wrong car. The Ford Fusion hybrid and Toyota Camray hybrid can get 30+ in the city with no problem. The HSH needs about 10-15 minutes to warm up from cold start before any good mpg. You will need to read up and apply the basic hypermiling tips here.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/162882-how-get-over-35-mpg-city-driving.html

We were only getting about 22-23 mpg with those short trips in San Diego but now that we have moved out in the country with a 9 mile trip into town my wife gets about 34 mpg.

Test your car by getting on the freeway and reset your avg mpg after setting your cruise control to 65 mph and drive 10 miles with A/C on at 74 deg and you should get about 40 mpg. This will let you know if your car needs servicing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts