Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a couple weeks ago I noticed the temp gauge creep up when the car was idle and in traffic or when the ac is on.
I had the Thermostat replaced and oil changed. I also had the coolant system "burped".

The car is better now but today I noticed after sitting in traffic again that the temp gauge went up one bar ( so on the half way point ). I immediately put the heat on and it came down.

Any ideas what this could be? Is this normal? The mechanic could not find anything else wrong with the car.
I worry about the water pump since that would leave me stranded somewhere.

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
Is this normal?
Yeah, it normal for the coolant temperature to rise when the car is stopped or in slow moving traffic because there isn't much air flowing through the radiator. If the temperature gets over a specific value the engine computer will automatically switch on the cooling fan to force air through the radiator and bring the temperature back down. If the car sits stationary long enough the radiator fan should start to cycle on & off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it normal for the coolant temperature to rise when the car is stopped or in slow moving traffic because there isn't much air flowing through the radiator. If the temperature gets over a specific value the engine computer will automatically switch on the cooling fan to force air through the radiator and bring the temperature back down. If the car sits stationary long enough the radiator fan should start to cycle on & off.
Thank you for the fast reply.. So since the temperature gauge only goes up maybe half way or one bar over the half way mark, at what point should i worry? and if it did go up further than that what could the issue be?
Sorry, I am a worry wart..

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
You'll be fine. You don't need to worry unless it gets close to the top.

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
If the gauge normally sits at half way +/- 1 bar then personally I would start to worry if/when the gauge started doing something that wasn't normal. Well, worry is perhaps too strong a word. But when I start to notice something that isn't normal that's when I start looking for a reason that would explain the abnormality.

As for what could cause the gauge to rise above normal....off the top of my head it could be a faulty thermostat, faulty water pump, faulty temp sensor, blockage in the coolant circuit, cooling fan failure

·
Registered
7,460 Posts
Fan should come on at around 95C (203F). The gauge is there for entertainment and not for accuracy, beware. Get an OBDII reader or scanner and see what the actual ECT temp is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts