Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headlights are really hazy and cracked. Because of the cracks the haze might be coming from the inside too. I'd like to replace both of them.

I called around and got vastly different prices, depending on the option. (All prices given are for one headlight without tax.)

Brand new ones from Hyundai dealership: $366.37 each
Aftermarket from some local mom & pops: $130 - $250 each
NAPA Auto, AutoZone and Advance Auto: $224 - $238 each
Used OEM from salvage yard: $200 (This place only has the driver's side, so I'd still need to find one for the passenger side.)

I'm in a small Texas border town several hours from San Antonio. Maybe there are more options there.

Any thoughts? What would you do? I care about safety AND looks. :smile:

·
Registered
882 Posts
I don't recommend aftermarket headlights, they may built in low quality reflector and wires, and low quality lens can't stay clear long. You can try headlight restoration yourself. Sandpaper with 500-2000 grits with water, then spray with meguiars headlight coating

·
Registered
488 Posts
I don't recommend aftermarket headlights, they may built in low quality reflector and wires, and low quality lens can't stay clear long. You can try headlight restoration yourself. Sandpaper with 500-2000 grits with water, then spray with meguiars headlight coating
OP said his headlights are cracked, so a restoration kit won't help him.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am leaning towards the aftermarket parts (vs new ones) mainly because of the age of the car. I figure used ones from a salvage yard may look just as bad as the ones I have now. Now it's really whether I want to chance "buying local" or do I buy off the internet. The guy that owns the local shop (for the last 20 years) says I won't notice a difference.

Thanks all for the replies and links.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you are sure you have a cracked headlight with moisture inside then replacement is your only choice but if not, yellow and hazy plastic headlights can be cleared like new with elbo grease --- cloth, toothpaste and water. Continuously rubbing for 1/2 hr. per lamp, and you'll be amazed of the result.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you are sure you have a cracked headlight with moisture inside then replacement is your only choice but if not, yellow and hazy plastic headlights can be cleared like new with elbo grease --- cloth, toothpaste and water. Continuously rubbing for 1/2 hr. per lamp, and you'll be amazed of the result.
I'm partial to THIS:

I just did this on my daughters 2000 Honda Civic. Attached images show the right headlight after the process with the left untouched. (Both were this bad). The second image is a close up pf the cloudy light after the process.

I then sprayed them with THIS: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17804-Clear-Headlight-Coating/dp/B01M4RVVX6[/ame]

I was pretty impressed with the result. Just be sure to spray the lights in a very well ventilated area. LOTS of fine mist and it's very strong smelling!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, broderp, that's impressive! If it wasn't for the fact that both headlights are cracked through that would be a possibility. I do a lot of fast driving on crappy old country roads and my poor Elantra takes quite a beating. One reason I won't trade it in or sell it anytime soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So... I got the aftermarket parts here in town and I'm super happy with them! They look great! Total (including installation): $321

I guess time will tell if they hold up well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts