Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Hyundai Azera. Every year I have to replace the battery because the battery will run down and the car will not start. ( I buy a brand new battery) When I try to start it, the dashboard lights flash on and off and car makes a click sound. I have had 3 mechanics at the dealership look at it and they can never find anything wrong with it. They hook it up to-do a diagnostic test and find nothing. They replace the battery and it starts right up. It happens every year at the same time every year. ( In Sept) Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem with their Azera....

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Your battery usually goes bad because of one of two things. Either the alternator is not putting out the correct voltage or there is a "parasitic" draw of current that is draining the battery when the car is turned off. Another thing that can affect battery life is if you don't drive long enough trips to charge the battery to restore what it took to crank the car. My original battery lasted 4 1/2 years, about what I would expect. I keep track of battery health with a battery analyzer that gives me the current state of charge and the current CCA capacity. It also can test the cranking and charging systems. The one I use is available at Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/ANCEL-BA101-Professional-Automotive-Motorcycle/dp/B01M0ARG3X/ If it reports that my battery is not fully charged due to short trips, I use a "smart" charger to bring the battery back to full charge. Then I re-run the test.

I can't attest as to how well the 3 mechanics diagnosed your car. Many simply attach a diagnostic tool and read the results. Did they monitor charginig voltage long enough to rule out an intermittent problem? Did they test for parasitic draw? Did they rule out any problems with your starter drawing too much current? A battery should not only last one year. Something is not working correctly. Hopefully, until they find the problem, you have a battery with a 3-year free replacement warranty and are not having to pay for a new one each year.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts