Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a 2012 Hyundai Accent and recently the radio screen went completely dead and is not powering on. The AC and heat controls work fine.

I checked the AUDIO 20A fuse and it is fine. When I re-insert the fuse, the radio screen comes on for 3 seconds and displays "MP3 player" and then goes dead again so it seems as if the screen is working fine and at least briefly powering on when inserting the fuse.

I read another post by AutoSpark here -> 2009 accent and the radio stopped working

He mentioned there are TWO fuses for the radio. I know where the 1st fuse is located (AUDIO 20A) but I am not sure about the 2nd.

Would anyone be able to tell me what the 2nd fuse is called/located on my fuse box diagram? My fuse box layout can be found here -> Fuse Box Diagram Hyundai Accent (RB; 2011-2017)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the quick reply!

Would the "TAIL LP RH" fuse also have something to do with the radio?

If all these fuses look fine, what would be a next good step to try? Would it be worthwhile to try and replace the fuses even if they look like they're not blown?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
18,174 Posts
Would the "TAIL LP RH" fuse also have something to do with the radio?
That's the fuse that powers the back lighting for the radio and dashboard switches.

If all these fuses look fine, what would be a next good step to try?
I would try a terminal 30 reset. Which is just auto electrician speak for disconnecting the battery :)
Switch the ignition on, the disconnect the battery negative terminal. Leave it disconnected to a minute or two, then reconnect it. That might reset the radio. Just like rebooting your home computer when it takes a funny turn.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the fuse that powers the back lighting for the radio and dashboard switches.

I would try a terminal 30 reset. Which is just auto electrician speak for disconnecting the battery :)
Switch the ignition on, the disconnect the battery negative terminal. Leave it disconnected to a minute or two, then reconnect it. That might reset the radio. Just like rebooting your home computer when it takes a funny turn.

Thank you AutoSpark!!!! I will try that tonight.

Stupid question: when reconnecting the negative terminal, is the car still on and running? Or do I turn the car off and then reconnect the negative terminal? I am a complete n00b when it comes to cars. Thanks again!

·
Registered
49 Posts
cual de todos los modelos de radio? porque en mi pais los vehiculos vienen con 4 tipos similares, algunas llevan fusible detras de la radio, otras no, pero la mayoria de ellas comparten algo en comun, se queman y echan a perder solas :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cual de todos los modelos de radio? porque en mi pais los vehiculos vienen con 4 tipos similares, algunas llevan fusible detras de la radio, otras no, pero la mayoria de ellas comparten algo en comun, se queman y echan a perder solas :D

I will check tonight what model my radio is but I don't think there is a fuse behind my radio, I am in Canada. I didn't have a chance to try what AutoSpark suggested yesterday, hopefully tonight or tomorrow. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you don't have a meter to test the 10A fuse, I would swap it with another one of the same size (10A) fuses. If the ACC fuse is bad, then whatever you just swapped will be dead and the radio will work.
Yes the car was off when I pulled the AUDIO 20A fuse.

The link you sent takes me back to the main forums page.

The ignition/signal power line fuse, would that be called IG1 and IG2 on the fuse diagram?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yes the car was off when I pulled the AUDIO 20A fuse.

The link you sent takes me back to the main forums page.

The ignition/signal power line fuse, would that be called IG1 and IG2 on the fuse diagram?

Thanks for your help!
It's the "ACC" 10A fuse both AUTOSPARK and Past Racer referenced above.

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
Stupid question: when reconnecting the negative terminal, is the car still on and running? Or do I turn the car off and then reconnect the negative terminal? I am a complete n00b when it comes to cars. Thanks again!
You don't want the engine running. Just have the ignition switched on so the instrument cluster warning lights are on. Then disconnect the negative battery terminal, wait a minute or two, then reconnect it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You don't want the engine running. Just have the ignition switched on so the instrument cluster warning lights are on. Then disconnect the negative battery terminal, wait a minute or two, then reconnect it.

I tried what you suggested and when I re-connected the negative terminal, it worked! The screen came back on. I was so excited that I never even tried to turn the radio on or toggle through radio stations that I turned the car fully on and it stopped working! I tried the reset again and the 2nd time the screen didn't come on like the first time.

Any idea what this could be or what else I could try? Thank you so much!!!

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
Any idea what this could be or what else I could try?
The reboot made it work, so I think it's safe to assume that there is nothing wrong with the radio power supplies or it's ground. Meaning the problem has to be inside the radio itself. I think you'll need to replace the unit.

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
Basically any radio will do. Just be aware that if you go for an aftermarket unit you will need a dash trim and wiring adaptors. If you buy a used Hyundai radio removed from another Accent it will be pretty much plug 'n' play. Just make sure the one you buy has the same Hyundai part number as your original unit.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thank you! Do you have any good recommendations on a replacement radio for this car, or any one should do?
I replaced the one in my 2012 SE with a used one from a 2016. The original display had black letters on a bright background, which was bad at night. The 2016 radio has white letters on a black background, which is much nicer at night. The only issue for the swap is that the mic (located above the driver) is different for the 2016 radio, so I had to replace it too. All of the cables connecting to the radio need no modification, and the steering wheel controls all work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts