Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My model has an 6-speed automatic with a semi-automatic shiftier on it. I was trying it out the other day but I noticed a problem (or operator error) that I believe to be with the overdrive. An example is when I hit about 3,000 RPM in 3rd or 4th gear the overdrive kicks in and drops it to 1,500-2,000 RPM on its own before I can shift.

My issue with that is the overdrive kicks on and off based on my throttle response. So If I'm in stop and go traffic as an example the RPM is all over the place while it turns on and off over and over again.

Is there anyway to disable overdrive on this model?

Thanks,
Derek R.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don’t have an answer for you, since haven’t experimented with manual control that much. But I was wondering if ECO is on or off when it's doing this? I know ECO on affects shift points and throttle response under normal automatic mode, so maybe it will have positive affect if selected off in manual mode.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t have an answer for you, since haven’t experimented with manual control that much. But I was wondering if ECO is on or off when it's doing this? I know ECO on affects shift points and throttle response under normal automatic mode, so maybe it will have positive affect if selected off in manual mode.
I should have mentioned that in my OP actually. I did play around with the ECO mode on and off. When it's on it feels like overdrive is enabled a lot sooner and stays on unless you really demand power with the throttle. It's like a half solution because its more "always on" so I can work with that. It's when it goes on and off every second that annoys me.

I know the older models had a dedicated button to turn it off. I was hoping there was a secret button to do that now. Or if there is a chip mod that can disable it.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I should have mentioned that in my OP actually. I did play around with the ECO mode on and off. When it's on it feels like overdrive is enabled a lot sooner and stays on unless you really demand power with the throttle. It's like a half solution because its more "always on" so I can work with that. It's when it goes on and off every second that annoys me.

I know the older models had a dedicated button to turn it off. I was hoping there was a secret button to do that now. Or if there is a chip mod that can disable it.
I believe the dealer can program sport mode...the GLS ECO is only a reference for getting improved mileage. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
An example is when I hit about 3,000 RPM in 3rd or 4th gear the overdrive kicks in and drops it to 1,500-2,000 RPM on its own before I can shift.
Doesn't sound right.. I only tried the manual mode years ago when I got the car new. I've never had much use for it. Out of curiosity I tried it today.

The transmission won't let you over-rev the engine. It will override the manually selected gear and will upshift at around 6000 RPM.

So for instance, if I manually put the transmission in first and accelerate, the transmission will rev up to about 6000 MPH and then shift to second on its own. I tried second and third and they do the same shifting up at 6000 RPM.

When slowing down in manual mode, the transmission will down shift on its own when the RPM gets really low for the gear you're in to prevent excessive lugging of the engine. If I'm in 5th gear and slow down to 5 MPH, it will stay in 5th, but will shift to 1st as soon as I step on the gas.

I'm not sure why, but when you're in manual mode, your transmission shouldn't be shifting on its own at 3000 RPM.

And just for info. Overdrive on the Accent automatic six speed is 6th gear. (The first five gears are regular gears and sixth is overdrive). It's not something that can be disabled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts