Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife's car won't start tonight. First it gave a brake message, then key not detected. Hazard lights started blinking slowly (maybe every 10-15 secs?).
Seems like the auxillary battery might be the problem? It is the original battery.

Cna I just stick in on a slow charger (2Amp)? If it is the auxillary battery, then it has lived a good life and I will just get a new one. Found the H6R at a local Advanced AutoParts Store. I am assuming (per other posts) that this is a direct replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife's 2011 did the same thing a few weeks ago. The auxiliary/ starting battery was almost dead. Once we jumped the battery, everything worked like it should.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
SO charging the battery got the Sonata to start. Now I would like to understand why the battery was drained. I suppose it could just be the battery (I will have it tested today. How do you know that the charging circuit is working correctly and that the auxillary battery is being charged? Or that the battery charge level is low?
Take Care
Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just change it. If it wasn't charging it would be dead a lot more.

That battery powers all of the car and its computers until the "engine", whether its the hybrid battery or the gas engine, starts.

Remember, if the battery inside the key fob goes bad and it cannot be detected, you can touch the key fob to the metal ring around the start button and it will be detected that way, at least on my '16. It must have an RFID chip inside it as a backup.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The 12v battery that is dying in your hybrid can take a charge (or jump) and then start the car. The starter/gen will keep the car running until you turn it off. Thank goodness a few forum people found an exact replacement that you can install yourself. Many say you have to special order to the store, taking a day or two. Thus saving yourself a couple hundred from the dealer costs.

Batteries just go from age, 6 or 7 years is a good run for a car battery. I had a Hyundai Varacruz battery die in 3 years. Again, would drain in overnight cold.
Remember a 2011 model's battery was installed in July / August 2010

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 12v battery that is dying in your hybrid can take a charge (or jump) and then start the car. The starter/gen will keep the car running until you turn it off. Thank goodness a few forum people found an exact replacement that you can install yourself. Many say you have to special order to the store, taking a day or two. Thus saving yourself a couple hundred from the dealer costs.

Batteries just go from age, 6 or 7 years is a good run for a car battery. I had a Hyundai Varacruz battery die in 3 years. Again, would drain in overnight cold.
Remember a 2011 model's battery was installed in July / August 2010
I hAVE a 2013 Sonata Hybrid, after two years of operating the car would not start, the panel would keep blanking and a warning of check brake would come on. Had the 12 volt battery checked and it was dead. I bought a Bosh top of the line 12 volt and installed it. the car worked for a couple of weeks and then wouldn't start again, same problem. had it towed to the dealer who after 5 days said they couldn't find anything wrong but got it started by charging the new battery. With in a week the car wouldn't start again. I had the new battery checked and it had dead cells, so I thought it my be a defective 12 volt. The warranty on the battery replaced it with a new one. two days after I replaced it, the car is not starting again. same issue. Bosch is a good brand. I don't believe they sell bad batteries. Had anyone had this issue. I've lost faith in this dealer.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You either have a drain on the battery... something is draining it when the car is off . Or check the charging voltage with the engine running.

There is another person showing how to check for a drain on your car. The dealer should have checked the voltage of the charge. A low charge on your 12V will eventually kill your battery, if that is the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts