Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all..I just got into my 2012 GLS Elantra and tried firing it up, and the engine will turn over, but wont start. Power windows, radio, lights, everything works. Earlier in the day, I moved the car from the garage to the driveway and turned it off about 30 seconds after I turned it on..I realize now that this may not have been the best idea.

I've read things from checking the sparks to the fuel pump..is it possible that it could be flooded? I am leaving it alone right now and I plan to try to fire it up in an hour or so with the accelerator fully pressed down in case this is the case, hopefully that does the trick..I'm not the best when it comes to cars or playing mechanic, so I was just wondering if anyone on here had any advice or experienced this before at all. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is a distinct smell of gas when I try to start the engine as well..some other people on various internet sites have had the same problem with turning their car on, moving it and then quickly turning it off..and when they go to start it up, it wont start

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
if you continue cranking it, does it sound like its coughing (like its gasping for air)?

air + fuel + spark = running car
air is free
fuel should be there in a new car like this.
usually the spark, or electrical issue

simple trick to checking if your distributor is working properly: pull off one of the spark plug wires and hold it loose on the plug while someone else turns the car over. you should hear snapping/clicking indicating an electrical arc between the wire & plug

although is a lot to do after you paid for roadside assistance. i would just call them up and let them pay you a visit. i believe all of our cars came with road side assistance programs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just went out and got it running..gave it some gas while it was turning over and that got it going..must have just gotten flooded earlier

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have the same problem your experiencing and same solution. It only happens once in awhile so for now, Im delaying a visit to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Don't know if this would help but our tech sbr711 has mentioned to clean the panel surface where the ground wire is attached. Worth a shot as I did it to eliminate any potential issues.

·
Registered
461 Posts
if you continue cranking it, does it sound like its coughing (like its gasping for air)?

air + fuel + spark = running car
air is free
fuel should be there in a new car like this.
usually the spark, or electrical issue

simple trick to checking if your distributor is working properly: pull off one of the spark plug wires and hold it loose on the plug while someone else turns the car over. you should hear snapping/clicking indicating an electrical arc between the wire & plug

although is a lot to do after you paid for roadside assistance. i would just call them up and let them pay you a visit. i believe all of our cars came with road side assistance programs.
Elantra's don't have distributors

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Elantra's don't have distributors
More to the point, the average person has nothing to gain by determining whether or not there's a spark. Other than getting zapped or starting an engine fire, that is.

When a modern car doesn't start, you try it again after a brief wait and if that doesn't work call roadside assistance. This is what tow trucks and warranties are for.

·
22,793 Posts
When a modern car doesn't start, you try it again after a brief wait and if that doesn't work call roadside assistance. This is what tow trucks and warranties are for.
+1 You bought the warranty, use it. If it doesn't start after the brief waiting period? Take Don67's advice. I'm under Ingrid's hood every Saturday morning, but without wrenches. Just my trusty wiping cloths to keep her clean and check the oil, brake fluid, washer and antifreeze levels. Occasionally vacuum out the bottom of the air filter canister.

"If it's under warranty and no signs of being broken, don't fix it."

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a Similar Issue,

When I start my "Cold" EL 2012 MT 1.8 and just move it around the driveway quickly (engine not warm yet), and if I come back and try and start again a minute later (to move the car back in the original position, It really struggles to gain life. It Turns over, but just wont take. About 20 Seconds of trying to get it started, it usually takes. But its a scary thing with a new car... Mine is now a year old and still does it from time to time.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Can our 1.8 liter Hyundai fuel injected engines even become flooded? Is that even possible with the computer metered fuel???

·
Registered
68 Posts
Agreed, I had a 1.6i Opel as my Prev car and no such issue.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I was embarrassed the first day I got the car from the dealer parking lot (while the salesman was waving goodbye at me).
I somehow turned the key to start it but released it too soon, the engine did not start. On the second try it did a very sluggish sound before starting.
A couple of days ago the same thing happened, I released the key before the engine started and after that it would not start. Waited a couple of seconds and tried again, then it started but without punishing sounds.
A number of cars I know of (Chevy Equinox, Toyota Yaris) will continue to turn over after you release the key, meaning that just a quick flip of the key will "auto-start" the engine. Hyundai should put the same smart feature to avoid these situations.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I believe the button start would be a more modern feature, So many cars coming out with that now and the tech can't cost that much to manufacture on a production line.

·
Registered
68 Posts
And when this issue happened to me on the first try it is quite worrying with a new car.

·
22,793 Posts
And when this issue happened to me on the first try it is quite worrying with a new car.
Yes, it could do that. I can see it happening. LOL

I barely touched my key one day to start the car and cut it short. Had to wait a minute for Ingrid to calm down enough to start. Never happened again. But I've never released the key too soon, anymore.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've had this happen twice. Last time was over 6mo ago. I just took the key out for 30 sec and tried again. She started right away with no problems. My old sentra would sometimes stall when turning the wheel to park the car. It did this 3-4 times a year for the first 3 years then the next 8 years never did it again. Every car has it's quirks.

·
22,793 Posts
Had that happen once with Ingrid. I had started her, rolled her out of the garage and turned her off. Maybe 10 seconds total running time. Decided that wasn't quite where I wanted her in order to perform her Saturday morning shampoo. Turned the key back on. Cranked like a onery old woman. But no start. Terror shot they every fiber of my being. I had forgotten to pour my coffee (can't shampoo without coffee...it's a ritual). Got the coffee the way I liked it, went back out to garage and got out all the beauty supply stuff as well as uncoiled the hose.

Went back over to the car and try one more time. Started right up, as if normal. Now I make sure she's where I want her in the driveway before I shut her down. Never happened again. And hope it doesn't. And I'm not gonna repeat that process to see if it is "normal" or an "anomaly." I'm leaning towards "normal." :grin:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
This is a funny topic, it has happened to me too. Second time trying to start the car would crank way longer than normal before it starts. Wonder what it is about these 1.8s that cause that.

·
22,793 Posts
I get cranky, too, if I'm started and then left abruptly for some sudden issue. Then tried to restart. Even my battery needs time to signal the engine, "All Ahead Full."

1 - 20 of 38 Posts