Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My transmission fluid temperature sensor has been on the fritz for a while now (got it diagnosed at the dealership a while ago as part of an unrelated recall). Originally diagnosed about October 2017 but the problem has disappeared... Only to reappear this week with the check engine light coming back on.

My question is whether I can drive with the faulty sensor and hard shifts and if there's any chance doing so will wreck the transmission and lead to a higher cost?

Was quoted as about $930 incl. Tax for the repair by the dealer.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
That quote was to replace the temp sensor, shift solenoids, switches and pressure solenoid. Did they tell you it was to replace all these parts?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
0711 /12 /13 code recovered ??

USA price at our place is rough $105 for harness, 5qt of SP4-M at $17 per qt, and about $300 labor

These is rough number,, easy repair, done a good pile between Sonata and Elantra

Harsh shifts due to TCM not know correct temp of ATF,, worst of it seem to be from P to R, and N to D,, eapecially when cold start

After repair, make sure Transmission Adaptive Learn gets reset

Reactions: grcauto

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That quote was to replace the temp sensor, shift solenoids, switches and pressure solenoid. Did they tell you it was to replace all these parts?
They said " the harness inside the transmission needs to be replaced at the same time as the sensor. With the cover gasket, labor and fluid your cost is $823.00 plus tax." No mention of those other items, I asked for details but they didn't provide anymore. I asked them because when I searched here I saw that the adaptive learn needs to be reset..

0711 /12 /13 code recovered ??

USA price at our place is rough $105 for harness, 5qt of SP4-M at $17 per qt, and about $300 labor

These is rough number,, easy repair, done a good pile between Sonata and Elantra

Harsh shifts due to TCM not know correct temp of ATF,, worst of it seem to be from P to R, and N to D,, eapecially when cold start

After repair, make sure Transmission Adaptive Learn gets reset
They didn't give me the code, just told me what it was. I got them to check while they were replacing the 'automatic transaxle shift lever clip' was part of a service campaign or something, not an official recall and managed to get them to do it.

Is there any way that I can check that they reset the adaptive learn other than just taking their word for it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
They said " the harness inside the transmission needs to be replaced at the same time as the sensor. With the cover gasket, labor and fluid your cost is $823.00 plus tax." No mention of those other items, I asked for details but they didn't provide anymore. I asked them because when I searched here I saw that the adaptive learn needs to be reset..

They didn't give me the code, just told me what it was. I got them to check while they were replacing the 'automatic transaxle shift lever clip' was part of a service campaign or something, not an official recall and managed to get them to do it.
We install an "E" clip to pin on shifter where cable end attach to keep cable end from walk of pin (only seen 2 walk off since start of production in 2010 with YF Sonata),, not seen Elantra cable come off shifter,, it is recall in most respects

Is there any way that I can check that they reset the adaptive learn other than just taking their word for it?

Thanks in advance.
Newest revised part is all 1 piece (harness with integrated temp sensor),, old original part is 2 piece (sensor + harness).. 43607-3B650 is current number I think

Ask them to print screen shots of the scan and related work and provide to you,, it your car and you aying for it.

I do that to document the codes recovered,, and the fact that I did do the reset (all printed document get attached to ticket to prove my case,, Hyundai come in and audit,,, here's the prints attached to ticket.. they might tell you they cant print,, they full of pooo

Reactions: grcauto

·
Banned
7,039 Posts

Thanks in advance.

That seems high unless they are replacing other electronic components. Many times they want to replace everything since they don't like comebacks.

Best way to do adaptive reset is with a scan tool. Might reset by removing power to the module.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Newest revised part is all 1 piece (harness with integrated temp sensor),, old original part is 2 piece (sensor + harness).. 43607-3B650 is current number I think

Ask them to print screen shots of the scan and related work and provide to you,, it your car and you aying for it.

I do that to document the codes recovered,, and the fact that I did do the reset (all printed document get attached to ticket to prove my case,, Hyundai come in and audit,,, here's the prints attached to ticket.. they might tell you they cant print,, they full of pooo
Thanks, I'll make sure to ask them for the screen shots and print outs.

That seems high unless they are replacing other electronic components. Many times they want to replace everything since they don't like comebacks.

Best way to do adaptive reset is with a scan tool. Might reset by removing power to the module.
Asked my local midas and their quote was within $100 so I guess it must be the norm in Canada... I'll ask for the screen shot or proof from the scan tool.

But Is the car ok to drive with the faulty sensor? Don't want the $1K repair turning into a new transmission...

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Thanks, I'll make sure to ask them for the screen shots and print outs.

Asked my local midas and their quote was within $100 so I guess it must be the norm in Canada... I'll ask for the screen shot? or proof from the scan tool.

But Is the car ok to drive with the faulty sensor? Don't want the $1K repair turning into a new transmission...
It makes the pressure control valve to go high line pressure which makes for a hard shift. When high pressure hits the pistons of the clutch packs and drives them hard in the drums I can't see that not creating problems after prolonged use in this state. Myself I tend to stay on the safe side and would suggest you have it fixed. Do you have any experience with turning wrenches? No real need for special tools.
I will say this...my brother in law had this same issue with his car and he drove it for 2 years like that before it got totaled. He drove it most every day.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think I have the temp sensor issue as well, shifts harder up and down every single gear. Then it will stop for a bit then start shifting hard again, but I'm not getting any codes. Is this normal not getting any codes or is this another issue?

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
911 Posts
My 2012 also had the issue for years. It would come and go. Shift fine for 2 weeks, then get funky for a couple of days, then repeat. I finally learned of the temp sensor issue here. At about 97k miles, with 3 k left on warranty, I took it in and they replaced under warranty. At 141k now and it has performed wonderfully.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Regular obd2 scanner like torque won’t pick up codes. Need more expensive unit, or have dealer scan done.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My 2012 also had the issue for years. It would come and go. Shift fine for 2 weeks, then get funky for a couple of days, then repeat. I finally learned of the temp sensor issue here. At about 97k miles, with 3 k left on warranty, I took it in and they replaced under warranty. At 141k now and it has performed wonderfully.
That is very helpful and encouraging, I'll buy the sensor today. Driving my xB now was scared to mess anything up on the tranny. I've heard that there are some with a harness and without harness. I know its easier not to replace harness, any thoughts on that one?

·
Registered
911 Posts
From memory, I believe it was the wire harness being affected by heat. The fix was a more robust harness that is one piece with the sensor, so you have to replace the sensor AND harness, assuming you get the new one.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just want to make an input to this thread. I did this in 3.5 hours, you don't have to drain radiator fluid like the TSB recommends. My fluid was reddish so I chose to add new fluid from the stealership. Shifts like butter now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts