Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2012 Elantra Elite 6spd manual and ever since we bought it (from new) there has been an irritating noise like a graunch or short vibration that happens (sometimes but not all the time) when we are pulling away from a stand still e.g. traffic lights, parking spaces, etc in first gear.

It does not always do it and seems to be only in first and sometimes reverse but rarely. We have flagged this numerous times with the dealer (all recorded in their records), although until now they claimed they could not repeat the problem and given it is intermittent I will give them the benefit of the doubt but only just.

Finally I managed to get them to take it in today and have a look at the problem after taking a technician for a drive to demonstrate the issue and show how it does not matter if the car is under load or not it. I think it sounds like something rubbing/vibrating and coming from the cabin and not the engine bay.

The dealer has concluded that none of the exhaust TCB's are the cause and they have concluded that it is a "glazed" clutch plate or flywheel (without actually looking at it). The upshot is that the dealer says Hyundai say it is not covered by the warranty and if I want them to strip it down and have a look I have to pay for it. I have never heard of this phenomenon and in all the manual cars I have had if something goes wrong in the clutch or bearing area the noise is usually constant.

To say I am not happy is an understatement; has anyone else had a similar problem, know of anyone with a similar problem and how it was rectified?

Cheers

Marty

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good news! Took it to another dealer (Giant on Scarborough Beach Road, Perth), foreman drove it and said, "I know what that is, we have had it before". 2 Hours later the foreman has had the warranty repair approved by Hyundai and a week later my car is back sans horrible noise! Apparently the clutch plate was misaligned causing it to scrape when disengaged, a known problem at the factory!

I am still waiting for Wild West Hyundai at Wangara to get back to me about the problem, I guess that since they clearly did not talk to Hyundai they have nothing to tell me!

Great advice going to another dealer, I won't be going back to Wild West Hyundai at Wangara but will definitely be going to Giant from now on as their customer service was faultless.

·
Registered
740 Posts
We have a 2012 Elantra Elite 6spd manual and ever since we bought it (from new) there has been an irritating noise like a graunch or short vibration that happens (sometimes but not all the time) when we are pulling away from a stand still e.g. traffic lights, parking spaces, etc in first gear.

It does not always do it and seems to be only in first and sometimes reverse but rarely. We have flagged this numerous times with the dealer (all recorded in their records), although until now they claimed they could not repeat the problem and given it is intermittent I will give them the benefit of the doubt but only just.

Finally I managed to get them to take it in today and have a look at the problem after taking a technician for a drive to demonstrate the issue and show how it does not matter if the car is under load or not it. I think it sounds like something rubbing/vibrating and coming from the cabin and not the engine bay.

The dealer has concluded that none of the exhaust TCB's are the cause and they have concluded that it is a "glazed" clutch plate or flywheel (without actually looking at it). The upshot is that the dealer says Hyundai say it is not covered by the warranty and if I want them to strip it down and have a look I have to pay for it. I have never heard of this phenomenon and in all the manual cars I have had if something goes wrong in the clutch or bearing area the noise is usually constant.

To say I am not happy is an understatement; has anyone else had a similar problem, know of anyone with a similar problem and how it was rectified?

Cheers

Marty

YES! MINE DOES THIS TOO! I will go to Hyundai dealer to get this resolved. It feels like the clutch is unaligned or something. I'm praying they will fix this.

·
22,793 Posts
Sounds to me like "Wild West" Hyundai picked the correct name to illustrate their service expertise. "Wake up, some of you dealers!" This isn't the 1800's and you're dealing with something other than a Conestoga wagon sitting over in the service bay.

Dang, I LOVE my dealer's service guys...from the manager, service writer to the techs! Not sure what I'd do if they ever sold out to another dealer. Hopefully, I won't have to confront this, EVER.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts