Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a 2012 Hyundai Elantra with 70k miles. I'm used to a lot older cars, my last car was a 20 year old chevy so I'm not sure if I'm just not used to this car yet or there's a problem. When I'm going about 40-70 and slowing down I can feel the transmission shifting down. It's not jolting, harsh, or clunking but you can definitely feel it. Like I said from going to a way older chevy to a newer import it might just be a different feel. I was just wondering if it was normal. I do plan on doing some maintenance though so if I do need to change the fluid I definitely can. Thanks for any replies

·
Registered
579 Posts
So I just bought a 2012 Hyundai Elantra with 70k miles. I'm used to a lot older cars, my last car was a 20 year old chevy so I'm not sure if I'm just not used to this car yet or there's a problem. When I'm going about 40-70 and slowing down I can feel the transmission shifting down. It's not jolting, harsh, or clunking but you can definitely feel it. Like I said from going to a way older chevy to a newer import it might just be a different feel. I was just wondering if it was normal. I do plan on doing some maintenance though so if I do need to change the fluid I definitely can. Thanks for any replies
Sorry for my own benefit I'll translate this to metric and excuse me for not knowing your market here.

So 65 - 110 KPH , from those speeds slowing down you feel a downshift but it's not harsh, just concerned?

If this is the 6 speed, my only vehicle with that generation is a 1.7CRDi I40 with the A6MF2 but all of these are essentially the same design and logic.

I think if you can determine the speed at the down shift, what gears are involved say 5-4 or 4-3 etc and the conditions like gentle or moderate to heavy braking it may help with clues.

I know with my car if I agressively brake I can get a down shift I think 5-4 around 60kph or 37MPH maybe just below like it's engine braking to assist.

Nothing harsh just kicks back a gear so in my case it's seems a normal shift just something programmed as part of the shift logic.

I think if your box is perfectly normal upshifting and downshifting smoothly it's nothing to worry about.

These do have adaptive logic so they learn your driving style and adjust shifts accordingly.

My own personal opinion on servicing, I pay little attention to claims of "filled for life" and 100000K + distances between flushes.

Often when I read the "harsh condiions" that stipulate shorter periods For me at least I reckon most cars could fit that description .

If it's at 110000K and my i40 was at that I'd give it a full flush which is what I did with a compatible Full Syn Fluid.

I don't know if mine had alread had a drain but what came out was not too bad if it was original, still dirty looking but not black or dark brown.

makes me feel good knowing it's had a refresh, much cheaper than waiting until it's too late

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's usually when I'm like getting off the highway and just coasting down my speed. I haven't noticed it too much with breaking, and usually at highway speeds

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'll check mine today coasting and see how it shifts, I think it's just going to be normal shift pattern. Mine's a little annoying being diesel at 60KPH it's right on the threshold of a 4-5 shift. I have to go about 5 k more and lift to get it to shift up. 2000rpm as opposed to 1500 or so, in 5th. Different vehicles I know ,you'll get a better idea when someone who has the same car comments, I'm optimistic you'r is normal.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I seem to notice that in my 2013 as well, I believe it is intentional, transmission programmed to do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts