Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get some help...

Immediately following my 22,500 maintenance, my Touring started to make a quick squeak at start up. It's made the squeak noise only during a cold start but in a range of outside temperatures (-15 all the way up to 61 degrees F). I purchased the car with 66 miles on it and it's never made this noise until recently.

I don't have the correct format to upload the video capturing the sound so I uploaded it to youtube. I can't yet post the link here as a junior member but it can be found on youtube by searching "quick squeak at start up"--it's the first video that comes up. My username there is 'failingatmath'.

The dealer checked it out (they had the vehicle for days) and said it's a common noise to hear in the extreme cold... but again, it did it when it was 61 degrees out as well, which isn't extremely cold.

The vehicle continues to make the noise and dealership continues to say it's common and that there's nothing to be fixed... very frustrating!

Help?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Is it a squeak from the engine area or in the cabin? I've watched your clip and I can't hear anything above the clatter noise from the ignition lock and the seat belt chime :confused: **

If it's an engine noise can I suggest putting the video recorder outside the car near the engine bay. The more information you can give the better the answers become. Cheers

** I've worked on and driven diesels for over 30 years, so anything quieter than a Deep Purple concert is just background noise :D:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help, I'll investigate further and see if I can't get sound from the engine bay as you suggest. It's a very brief squeak right before the engine turns over. I panned over to get a view of the temperature because the dealership constantly tries to blame the Chicago weather fluctuations for issues.

I had to have the dash cluster replaced in this vehicle as the LCD was malfunctioning. At first, that issue was blamed on the hot summer. Now this squeak is a 'common noise because of the extreme cold'. I just don't buy it.

And a diesel certainly is louder than this little squeak!

Thanks again for taking a listen and replying.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Tighten the aged/slightly stretched (loose) drive belts and carry on..

Cold - hard rubber dont grip cold steel pulley too well until a little bit of friction warm thing up and soften rubber slightly to get better grip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts