Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this on the CR site:

"Hyundai claims that 2012 models receive new steering calibration for better feel."

Not just a claim! I think the steering is greatly improved on the '12, compared to my '11 rental last spring. IMO it's perfect now, very responsive, crisp, wonderfully weighted. I hadn't even heard anything about that change back when they released what was new for '12. I like that they are fixing things so rapidly. They are definitely listening. :)

·
6,836 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/128283-what-differences-between-2011-hyundai-elantra-2012-hyundai-elantra.html

I was reading the above thread and was also wondering if a software update would change the steering calibration.

Now, last service I had, they did do a software update. Does anyone think the steering calibration was included in that?
Just my thoughts. I would think unless something mechanical or electronic was replaced, a software update should apply.

I need to drive the 2012 to see what if any differences are really there. My 2011 drives well and very nice. Initially it was just getting used to the electronic steering, my first car with this feature.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Very True, I'm kinda spoiled now with it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think the steering is awesome in this car.

Em-squared- Ask your dealer if there's a record of the steering recalibration on yours- I do believe there is a bulletin on it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think my car drives fine, too. Same here - getting used to electronic steering for the first time was the thing. Now, it's hard to drive cars without it!
If you're happy with your steering, then no need to wish you'd waited for the '12. But if a TSB can improve it, so much the better!

I didn't even have to get used to it, though. To me, it feels like the Mazda3 steering, which I loved. I was a little concerned about the '11, because I felt like I always had to have both hands on the wheel. I can't believe the difference with the '12. I completely forgot it had electronic steering for awhile. So glad they made that change.

·
6,836 Posts
UPDATE:

Called the nearest Hyundai dealership to find out if a software update was available for 2011 steering calibration. After looking into it, they told me that it was not. BUMMER. Then again, I have few complaints about the current steering, now that I am used to it.

Even with the current steering, I can drive with one hand and it stays on center.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I think the steering is greatly improved on the '12, compared to my '11 rental last spring.
You have more experience than I do, having driven both a 2011 and a 2012. But still I am skeptical that this little press release one-liner from Hyundai really means that much. The rental you drove last spring may have had different wheel size, different tires, different tire pressure, different roads, and (if you're like me) the memory of how it drove has been distorted by time and untold glasses of red wine.

Either that or it's just sour grapes because I drive an '11 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
590 Posts
The best you know is the best you've driven........just don't drive a 2012 and it won't be an issue. :p

We just got our 2012 Elantra and love it.....the steering is very crisp and precise.
We traded in our 2010 Toyota Venza that had electronic steering but that system had a sloppy uncontrolled feeling.
The Elantra is much better.....

Nice new avatar Em-squared. ;)

·
6,836 Posts
You have more experience than I do, having driven both a 2011 and a 2012. But still I am skeptical that this little press release one-liner from Hyundai really means that much. The rental you drove last spring may have had different wheel size, different tires, different tire pressure, different roads, and (if you're like me) the memory of how it drove has been distorted by time and untold glasses of red wine.

LOL. Red wine = love it.

I am hoping the claims are trumped, too. I mean, my '11 handles fine, so maybe it's just an OCD thing. I am sorta tempted to drive a '12 just to find out, but I am afraid of being let down by my own car....

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well, I'd be skeptical too if I hadn't experienced it. I think I wrote about it in my very long account of the marathon trip I took at the end of Oct. With the rental (and my test drives), I was afraid the steering would be fatiguing after awhile. It just took more attention, or more concentration, to steer, for some reason. I'm sure I would've gotten used to it.

The rental did have steel rims, but still 16" tires. But remember that I test drove at least 5 different Elantras aside from my rental, all 2011 except for the stick, but I was focused on the transmission that time. On the others, I was okay with the steering, but not totally thrilled with it. I liked the Mazda steering much better, and the Focus a little better. I think the Elantra would beat the Focus now, and probably meet the Mazda.

You '11 people should go test drive a '12 and see what you think. I'd be interested in knowing if everyone thinks it's as obvious as I do.

Oh, and I don't drink. So my memory's not distorted at all...lol.

·
Registered
735 Posts

Hahaha.

Well they did say that:

"Delayed gratification always has its rewards" :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well at 8000 miles I have not gotten use to it. I cannot stand the steering on the highway but love it in the city. It is so hard to drive straight and takes way more concentration than it should. I find myself hitting ruble strips all the time that I don't hit in my other vehicles.

It seems it would be a simple fix. The problem is at center it is so sensitive. Any slight steering to the left or right gives to much input.

I just don't understand how this got by all the testing they did.

·
6,836 Posts
Hmm...that's strange. My 2011 is mostly fine on straightaways. I drive down the expressway toward work, drinking a coffee with my right hand and driving with my left. I always hold the steering wheel with the left bottom "spoke" if you will. And, many of the roads here in Oregon has a pretty decent tilt to one side for rain drainage. Also, a lot of really bad roads in my area, with ruts and potholes.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The problem is at center it is so sensitive. Any slight steering to the left or right gives to much input.
That's what I noticed on the '11. It was very sensitive, and took some amount of concentration on the interstate to keep from moving the wheel. It wasn't horrible, and I bought the car thinking that's how it was going to be.

This is something that has plagued the Corolla too. I don't know if Toyota ever recalibrated theirs. I think theirs might have been even worse.

Glad Hyundai got this fixed before I bought the car! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well at 8000 miles I have not gotten use to it. I cannot stand the steering on the highway but love it in the city. It is so hard to drive straight and takes way more concentration than it should. I find myself hitting ruble strips all the time that I don't hit in my other vehicles.

It seems it would be a simple fix. The problem is at center it is so sensitive. Any slight steering to the left or right gives to much input.

I just don't understand how this got by all the testing they did.
I've been driving my 2012 Elantra GLS MT for only one week. On my first long freeway drive (home from the dealer) I, too, noticed I couldn't keep it going straight without micro adjustments. Curves are fine but the straight-aways are annoying. It's very tiring but I thought it was just me over-correcting and that I would get used to it. My 98 Saturn and my husband's new Subaru Outback never feel this strange. Is there hope for a fix? Is Hyundai continuing to work on it? Feeling a bit discouraged.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
I've been driving my 2012 Elantra GLS MT for only one week. On my first long freeway drive (home from the dealer) I, too, noticed I couldn't keep it going straight without micro adjustments. Curves are fine but the straight-aways are annoying. It's very tiring but I thought it was just me over-correcting and that I would get used to it. My 98 Saturn and my husband's new Subaru Outback never feel this strange. Is there hope for a fix? Is Hyundai continuing to work on it? Feeling a bit discouraged.
Welcome to the forum you will get used to it but it takes a while. If you drive on the highway regularly in a few weeks you wont even notice.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts