Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently installed a Spectre cone filter on my 2012 Elantra with a redcuer onto the stock piping and noticed a small difference on my gas mileage. At first I thought it was because I was rippin' it to hear that awesome sound I got from it, but today I filled it up and reset the trip. Even after I babied it all day and drove on ECO it showed 16 miles exactly when I lost a gallon. Any solutions about why my gas mileage is terrible? Or should I keep watching it? Things I have read on the Veloster forum with the same mod I did showed that it increased gas mileage. Am I just being paranoid or is it really screwing up the mileage?

·
Registered
128 Posts
MPG will always be worse in the winter months, and do you need an oil change soon? I always seem to get bad mpg when my oil change time is approaching.

·
Registered
50 Posts
MPG will always be worse in the winter months, and do you need an oil change soon? I always seem to get bad mpg when my oil change time is approaching.
At first, I tought I was crazy to think of this but since I need to do a oil change ASAP my car now consume approximatly 7l/100km. And this is my highway calculation at 100km/h.

But still better gas millage then my audi :p

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Changing the fuel/air induction system is going to affect things, so it's not surprising that fuel mileage changes from the stock setup.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Changing the fuel/air induction system is going to affect things, so it's not surprising that fuel mileage changes from the stock setup.
I've heard that many times now. But is it correct for normal operation? The MAP sensor measures the absolute manifold air pressure, regardless of what is upstream. I would think that better airflow would be compensated for with a slightly (very) more closed throttle plate resulting in the same manifold pressure. However, max manifold pressure (full throttle) may be improved, so long as the MAP is calibrated for the improved flow, which I assume it is. No?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I've heard that many times now. But is it correct for normal operation? The MAP sensor measures the absolute manifold air pressure, regardless of what is upstream. I would think that better airflow would be compensated for with a slightly (very) more closed throttle plate resulting in the same manifold pressure. However, max manifold pressure (full throttle) may be improved, so long as the MAP is calibrated for the improved flow, which I assume it is. No?
I really don't know - seems like an engineering question and I'm sure it also directly relates to how the ECU program is set up. Maybe SBR could give a more informed input on this matter since he has some professional experience.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
You typically have to unplug negative battery terminal for 30 mins or more and let the ecm relearn when doing mods to intake. Also the Specter filters are usually cheaply made. Compare side by side to a k&n or other well made filter and you will see less pleats and thinner material.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just added a K&N SRI, and I lost 3 to 5 mpgs. I babied the car over a tank of gas, and I could not get the instant MPG above 36. I went back to stock, and I was able to get above 40 again. The two tanks with the SRI were 30 and 34. I was able to get 37 stock.
One solution might be to reset the ECU like some members suggested. I took the easy way out and went back to stock. The higher the MPG, the better I feel about my frugal Elantra. The sound was nice but the low end acceleration was not there... Above 4000 RPMs it felt a little faster, but at lower RPMs it felt slower. Try the ECU reset and good luck.

·
Registered
838 Posts
So I recently installed a Spectre cone filter on my 2012 Elantra with a redcuer onto the stock piping and noticed a small difference on my gas mileage. At first I thought it was because I was rippin' it to hear that awesome sound I got from it, but today I filled it up and reset the trip. Even after I babied it all day and drove on ECO it showed 16 miles exactly when I lost a gallon. Any solutions about why my gas mileage is terrible? Or should I keep watching it? Things I have read on the Veloster forum with the same mod I did showed that it increased gas mileage. Am I just being paranoid or is it really screwing up the mileage?
So, What did you expect? K&N is a performance air filter! It is really not designed for gas mileage. What this means, is it's performing the way it should, your ECM has recognized it. If not, getting better gas mileage would mean you would be running too lean! :eek:

Been There, Done That! on my Sportage.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Well K&N does say HP increase and MPG increase. MPG only 1-2 increase but they do say increase not decrease.

I also am not so happy with my intake. I do feel a difference I did notice that the car does not kick out of OD or drop a gear as much when going over bridges as often, but for the lack of MPG its not worth it IMHO. I to have been thinking about switching back to stock and see is if MPG comes back up.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well K&N does say HP increase and MPG increase. MPG only 1-2 increase but they do say increase not decrease.
Well, I went to look at K&N. This is what they say in the Q&A section:

We certainly understand why it is theoretically possible for a consumer to experience a mileage increase after installing a K&N air filter or intake system, however, we do not go so far as to make a general claim that our air filters and intake systems will provide an increase in mileage.
Sounds like a disclaimer to me. Fact of the matter is, the ECU knows how much air is being put into the engine, either directly from a MAF or indirectly as in a MAP sensor. And they know the temperature of the air going in. From that, they know how long to hold the injectors open to inject the correct amount of gas according to the demand load. The only way that I can surmise that MPG might increase, is if the OEM software engineers have made some mistake in their fuel load tables.

If a K&N filter actually increased MPG by 1-2, don't you think that Hyundai would have sent all of us new K&N filters instead of offering us debit cards or 350 dollars? Every OEM's would be all over a 1-2 MPG increase for the small increase in cost for a K&N filter. Sadly, it just ain't so.

IMO, the owners who make such changes to hear that WHOOSH of intake air won't be driving in an economic mode. In fact, they probably will drive more agressively because of the sound.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yeah I checked K&n's website and did not see the MPG increase claim. I must have been mistake but I thought they did mention it. Ohhhh I know I think other users have stated a increase after install.

Because like the say if its on the internet it must be true correct???? :grin:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Because like the say if its on the internet it must be true correct???? :grin:
Absolutely! And you can take everything I post as absolute, honest to goodness fact! Would you like to buy some drained swamp land in Florida?:eek:

No fault-No foul!

·
22,793 Posts
Absolutely! And you can take everything I post as absolute, honest to goodness fact!
:laughing: Have to agree with your subtle, tongue-in-cheek humor! Same goes for this writer. Let me put it another way:

Wife says I'm about 75% B.S. and 25% inert ingredients. Therefore, the following caveat: "Readers of my posts, BEWARE!!!" :eek:

:grin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You typically have to unplug negative battery terminal for 30 mins or more and let the ecm relearn when doing mods to intake. Also the Specter filters are usually cheaply made. Compare side by side to a k&n or other well made filter and you will see less pleats and thinner material.
Huh, I'll give that a shot when I get back from school tomorrow afternoon. I didn't know the car's computer could tell the difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just added a K&N SRI, and I lost 3 to 5 mpgs. I babied the car over a tank of gas, and I could not get the instant MPG above 36. I went back to stock, and I was able to get above 40 again. The two tanks with the SRI were 30 and 34. I was able to get 37 stock.
One solution might be to reset the ECU like some members suggested. I took the easy way out and went back to stock. The higher the MPG, the better I feel about my frugal Elantra. The sound was nice but the low end acceleration was not there... Above 4000 RPMs it felt a little faster, but at lower RPMs it felt slower. Try the ECU reset and good luck.
I will and I'll let you know how it turns out after I do my man.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, What did you expect? K&N is a performance air filter! It is really not designed for gas mileage. What this means, is it's performing the way it should, your ECM has recognized it. If not, getting better gas mileage would mean you would be running too lean! :eek:

Been There, Done That! on my Sportage.
I didn't expect anything at all to change, I just wanted it to sound different lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I also am not so happy with my intake. I do feel a difference I did notice that the car does not kick out of OD or drop a gear as much when going over bridges as often, but for the lack of MPG its not worth it IMHO. I to have been thinking about switching back to stock and see is if MPG comes back up.
Now, here is something that may help you, it helped my mileage A TON!! When you remove the stock intake there is the top part, which is just the box filter and then the cotton filter underneath it. I put the white cotton filter underneath my short ram (Which also made it stable) and got a comfortable 26 mpg driving my friend to work. I think for whatever reason that helped a lot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts