Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone...

This is about my 2012 Elantra Limited w/Tech. Let me first say that I love the car other than this problem I am experiencing.

From time to time, the audio will just cut out completely. No AM/FM/XM/CD/Bluetooth, NOTHING! I can be driving along and it just stops. It is very random and the amount of time that the audio stays gone before returning on its own is also very random. I have had it go as little as a few minutes all the way up to a few hours and as much as over a day.. There is nothing specific that I can tell triggers it each time.

I know a few other people have posted about this and the popular response seems to be to hit that little reset button in the upper left corner of the unit. Here is why that does not seem to be a solution for me. I have been to the dealer MULTIPLE times for this issue and they can't seem to figure it out. At first, the answer was always that they can't replicate the problem in the dealership, so there is nothing they can do. What did I do? The next time it happened, I whipped out the iPhone and made a video of what was happening. Like I said before no audio from any radio mode or Bluetooth. Turned the volume all the way up them all the way down, nothing. Nothing from the NAV either. After viewing the video, the lead service person in the dealership along with the service manager decided to swap out my head unit. This is now my 3rd radio. The first was swapped out for a faulty CD player (I know, who uses CD's anymore right? I paid though and want it to work), and then the second one was taken out with this audio issue. Now this third one was fine for a several months and started with the same no audio problem all over again.

The fact that the problem has persisted in the car on more than one radio/nav unit seems to point out to me that there is an underlying issue somewhere and the simple reset button is not the answer. Any ideas now knowing it has happened on more than one unit?

On another note, I have tried searching the forum and found some similar posts, but nothing with the direct same problem. If I didn't search it out correctly, please don't attack me for it, I tried!

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
When they switched out the radio/head unit, did they also switch out the external amp? I believe in your car it's in the trunk. I'm wondering if something is maybe going on with the amp itself and it is cutting out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Don,

I didn't expect such a quick response. Thank you. No, the amp was not switched out. I need to go back in for my 30,000 mile service soon, so maybe I will bring that up. Interesting thought. Anyone else?

·
Registered
238 Posts
+1 on the amp. If all you're losing is the audio (still have info on the display) then the common point would seem to be the external amp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't see an amp in the trunk. Maybe I looked in the wrong place? In any event, thanks for all your help. I will bring the idea up to the dealer.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Radio works, but no audio, correct - i.e. you can switch sources and tell that it switched sources when it doesn't work correctly.

It's one of four things, as previously mentioned:

• Amp is faulty or overheating.
  • Intermittent fault in power or signal wiring to the external amp.
  • One or more speakers has an intermittent fault or wiring fault. (Yes, typically a short in one speaker wire can eliminate sound from ALL the speakers).
  • Fault in the head unit output before it sends the signal to the amp - but this would be VERY unlikely with 3 different head units.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have to agree with the assertion of everyone else. Sounds like something is going on with the amp or between the head unit and the amp. The fact that the radio is still 100% functioning and this is the third one installed, the commonality is the wire harness in the rear of the radio. Some of these wires run to the amp in your trunk. Sounds like either the amp or the wires between the two.

There is a thread here the refers to installing a component set of speakers in the Elantra. If you look at this thread, you will see pictures of where the rear amp is located. It is not visible just by opening the trunk.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Amp is in the trunk, behind the liner on the passenger side fender. It is mounted between the fender and a flat support panel, just above the rear of the wheel well.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Add me to the faulty amp crowd. Keep us in the loop! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you so much for all the responses everyone! Makes me want to come by the board more often and help when I am able.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting Stresstest! Thank you! Now I'm curious as to how the dealer is going to reply to my suggestion. I hope they take it constructively. I mean unlike some other people's horror stories, I can say they are nice people and they genuinely have tried to help. I mean, c'mon, I'm on my third radio, it's not like they don't want to fix the issue. For me, it is so frustrating having dealt with the issue since the car was brand spanking new. I'm to the point where I almost want to trade it in so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What I meant by I hope they take it constructively is I wonder how they react to outsiders who are not in the business suggesting solutions to them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt... but, when I think of a mechanic in a dealer's shop, I imagine someone who knows all there is to know about the engine or alternator or radiator... things like that. I've never really thought of them as "car audio installers" so to speak. A really good friend of mine works for the dodge dealership and can tear an engine apart and put it back together bolt for bolt, but he doesn't necessarily know how to install an aftermarket head unit with two amps and a distribution block. Sure he has the mantal capacity to figure it out, but it's not his specialty. At least it's all stock equipment so they have documentation on it.

Just saying that someone goes in with a gls who's radio is randomly cutting out all sound and then someone comes in with a limited with the same problem. Sure they see the obvious differences between the head units but their first, second or third thought may not be that there is a "factory" amp mounted in the trunk.

I think they should take the advice willingly and hopefully change out the amp for you. Couldn't hurt right??? They've already been through three head units which is coniderably more expensive than the cheap amp! :)

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
This is the amp after you remove the interior passenger side lining in the trunk. Taken from my install thread
Nice to see what constitutes as 'noise deadening' back there. :rolleyes: I really need to jump on my sound deadening project.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Nice to see what constitutes as 'noise deadening' back there. :rolleyes: I really need to jump on my sound deadening project.
just a little piece of black stuff as sound deadening, not much. I always wanted to see what's behind the lining in the trunk. Considering the salt we have on our roads in winter, some antirust product in the crevasse, where the outside and inside sheet metal meet would be a good idea to prevent rust from the inside to the outside in 10 years.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
What I meant by I hope they take it constructively is I wonder how they react to outsiders who are not in the business suggesting solutions to them.
I'm sure they would rather replace the amp for you and fix the problem than have you come back again in three months to get another radio.

Actually - if you are sound deadening a door, you only need about 4 pieces the size of a quarter - the trick is knowing where to place them, which is why most people cover the entire panel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts