Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, everyone!
This is my experience with my first new-car purchase.
I know it's long, but please bear with me.

About a year ago (August 17, 2011), I was a proud new parent of a gray/black 2012 Elantra Limited. I immediately nicknamed her 'Baby'.

Original, I know.

She performed like any 4-cylinder vehicle would perform - peppy, mostly efficient. About three months in (October 2011), I was leaving a store one dark and starry night, and went to start my car. I've done this hundreds, thousands of times - slip the key in, turn to ignite. Except this time the car didn't produce the expected response - you know, the sound of the engine turning over and roaring to life. Instead, my poor Baby puttered as the engine tried to turn over and when she finally managed to get going, she puttered some more, idled roughly, then stalled out. You wouldn't have known the car was on if it weren't for the bright lights of the dashboard. But oddly enough, no Check Engine light.
:confused::confused::confused:

So I sat there thinking maybe I just didn't turn the key properly. I've been driving for years and this has never happened to me, but there is a first time for everything. My mom was riding passenger and she even thought I was limp-wristing it (yeah, I just made up that term). But whatever, I try again a few moments later and she roars to life.
Everything is all good.
But it's not.
This has been randomly happening ever since.

From what I can recall, this happened once in October 2011, twice in November 2011 and I believe once in December 2011.
In 2012, she has stalled twice in January, once in February, three times in July, four times in August (happened twice in one day within 35 minutes of each occurrence) and once in September, this past Sunday to be exact.

This most recent occurrence is the most unsettling. Sunday, September 2 at about 4p I go to start my car. It was a warm day and she had been parked for about an hour. I go to turn her on and notice the start-up is kind of rough and she idled roughly for a few moments. Once she finally calmed down, I turned on the low A/C and put the car in Reverse. She started idling roughly again. I get kind of freaked out, so I put the car back in Park and turn off the A/C and then put the car back in Reverse. She idled roughly again. Argh! Whatever. I back out of the parking spot, put the car in Drive, apply pressure to the gas pedal...and I don't move.

What the deuce?

I look down at the odometer, my car shut off.
Siiigh.
:mad:

I have taken this vehicle to a Hyundai dealership seven times.
Two different Hyundai dealerships. I have mentioned the stalling issue five of the seven visits.
No one at either shop can duplicate the issue. And since they can't duplicate the issue...nothing can get fixed.

To me, this car is a lemon, but now that a year has passed, I'm not sure I can still explore that avenue.
The service people at the Hyundai dealerships recommended I call the Hyundai Customer Service number. I called, they created a case for me, but in order to move the case along, they have to call the service department at the dealership that serviced my vehicle. Hyundai Customer Service has not been able to get in contact with the service higher-ups at that dealership. So for the past week I've been calling both the Customer Service and the dealership to see what the status of my case is with no results.

I'm annoyed. Disappointed.
I feel like I've been getting the runaround.
It has been suggested that I submit a claim to the BBB...

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for helping me out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
BBB is virtually worthless in my opinion... If you have a smart phone with video perhaps document the issue (times/dates), record it, etc and provide as much information to Hyundai as possible. Random stalling would be hard to trace if the vehicle is not throwing codes or one cannot replicate the issue. Sounds like a fuel supply issue to me - perhaps a bad fuel pump, but who knows, I could sit here and guess all day... Sucks regardless and I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Has the oil pressure been checked, or even just proper operation of the oil control valve. I
Would request those be checked.

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
Nobody puts Baby in a corner

Now that one of the greatest movie lines ever is out of my system... Welcome to the forum. I wish you could have joined with better news but I hope you stick around. These symptoms sound like a simple problem that is hard to diagnose and the dealers may not be taking it seriously since they cant duplicate.

My slightly educated guess is related to fuel. Fuel pump maybe? Hopefully customer service can arrange a free loaner or something so the car can be left with a dealer for extended testing. Documentation of the service visits will help this cause. I have no idea who to speak with but dont give up. You may have to google the email addresses of Hyundai CEO and write an email attaching your documentation and explaining your problem. I did this with my bank once and within a few hours people were calling me to fix my problems.

·
6,836 Posts
:00000732: Sorry that unfortunate circumstances brought you here. I would not give up hope; Hyundai needs to do right on this issue. No newish car should have the problem you have. I had an '11 Elantra Limited with key ignition and no problems whatsoever [just a poltergeist on the body, but that's a different story.] Every once in a while you get a lemon. :/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for viewing a replying!

wymi - Thank you and will do!

BG_TX - Yeah, I'm not sure what exactly they could/would do in this situation. Recently I have started recording the start-ups, so hopefully I'll be able to capture the occurrence. My mom thinks it has something to do with the fuel system as well. Thank you!

jsvob03 - I'm not sure, I'll double check the maintenance statements they gave me.

someguy - Lol, I've never seen that movie...^_^
But thank you. I've been lurking for a while now (this is my second Elantra). And yeah, an issue with the fuel system sounds probable. But that is a good idea, I'll explore that avenue soon. I have a feeling just talking to the Customer Service won't get me very far...

Em-squared - I appreciate it!

During one of the occasions where I left my vehicle with the service center for a couple days, they did mention that there was a 7% alcohol content in the fuel, so they recommended I fuel elsewhere. I'd say 8 times out of 10, I fuel at Shell, so maybe that has something to do with it...

Also, during a visit at the second service center they stated they checked "ignition starter plugs fuel coils oil" but found no issues. They also checked service bulletins for other identical issues and contacted Hyundai Technical Assistance, but to no avail.

But any who, I appreciate the feedback and I will keep you posted!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey JaMegan,

I just bought a used 2011 Elantra over the weekend and I'm having similar issues to what you described above. It mostly occurs in traffic as I'm coming to a stop. Basically it feels like I'm driving a manual and forgetting to put the clutch in as I come to a stop except that the engine isn't rough when it dies, it just goes down to idle and then drops off.

Did you ever get further clarification on your issues? I'm taking mine back to the dealership this weekend to get looked at and I'm hoping it's just a clogged fuel filter or something...fingers crossed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello nkilburne,

That's pretty crazy that your issue mostly occurs while in drive (and in traffic no less!). Have you taken your vehicle to a Hyundai service centre? How many times has this happened to you? And have you noticed any common elements when this occurs? Like fuel level, weather, duration of operation...

Since I've posted my issue, my car has stalled once more, but this time it was in park.
When I did take it to the Hyundai service centre, they said they checked all of the fuel lines and checked Hyundai bulletins and spoke with higher up Hyundai techs and tried their suggestions, but they found nothing.

I still havent heard from Hyundai Customer Service.
I submitted a claim against the dealership I purchased the vehicle from to the BBB, the dealership replied today and said I could bring the vehicle in again...
Sigh.
I'm kinda tired of praying my vehicle starts every time I get in it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sigh.
I'm kinda tired of praying my vehicle starts every time I get in it.
I think that's what I find weirdest about my situation...whenever it stalls, I throw it in neutral, turn the key, and it roars back to life immediately. I'm almost positive it's an issue with the Drive-By-Wire system so I'm hoping that an ECU reset or tweak by the dealer will fix my issue.

Hopefully yours gets resolved soon too!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey nkilburne!

Thanks for the suggestion!
I haven't tried it yet; hopefully I'll have some time to do it soon though.

The thing that gets me is that the Hyundai Dealership should know about this ECM Drive-by-Wire Throttle Reset.
This vehicle has the Gold level warranty (whatever that means), I shouldn't have to dig for information to fix my vehicle when I paid for them to fix it whenever there is an issue, you know?

Am I wrong for thinking that since I was sold a defective product (as far as I know, automatic vehicles shouldn't stall on startup [or at all in most situations]), the place I purchased the defective product from should take the product back?
I understand it's a vehicle and things aren't that simple, but it's the principal.
You sell someone a defective product from the manufacturer, you allow them to return/exchange it.

Hyundai likes to tout how reliable and safe their vehicles are, but a vehicle with an automatic transmission that randomly stalls - sometimes in Drive! - doesn't seem very safe or reliable...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
You are definitely right that you would expect a new car to act like a new car, which unfortunately yours is not. The problem with the dealership is they can't reproduce the problem (as it happens periodically) and the car isn't thowing codes for them to help diagnose the issue. As long as they are working with you and trying to fix the problem there isn't much more that you can expect from them, although that certainly doesn't make your ownership experience any better.

Hyundai (corporate) definitely leans on the dealerships to fix these types of issues as they probably have thousands of letters come across their desk in any given day/week. Most are just frivolous claims, but others (like yours) are true and quite serious issues. Hopefully it can be fixed and then you can enjoy many years of worry free ownership in the future.

As an FYI, I wouldn't buy a finance add-on ever (like your Gold-level extended warranty). Hyundai's warranty is quite extensive and if you feel like you truly need something additional, buy it 5 years down the road once the B2B warranty ends. These types of things just pad the pockets at the dealership. I paid for a paint protection/interior protection package once on my wife's car, but never again! We didn't use it once.

I also make many trips up to Charlotte. My company's Charlotte office is in the Duke energy building, so anytime I am up there I have a panaramic view over the Panther's practices. Haven't made it up on a Sunday to catch a "free' game though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have experienced exactly this issue with our 2011.

Randomly happens every 10-12 weeks or so.

Haven't asked the dealer to look into yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the same issue, although not as often. About 2-3 times a year, my car won't start or it'll stall right after starting. Then I have to shut off, wait a little bit, and help it start by pressing the gas as the car is starting. Once the car starts rolling, everything is fine. A little annoying, but it happens so infrequently that I don't think about it much.

Maybe it is the fuel as some suggests. Maybe something else. But it is not worth my time to go to the dealership and wait. Hopefully this will happen less frequently in the future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Elantra that stalls almost daily now, usually in the morning. Ive taken it to dealerships and called and complained, and nobody will help me. They say they cant duplicate the issue... They say "maybe you are using cheap gas" or " you should run premium sometimes." WTF?!
The other day it stalled and wouldnt start and I had to call hyundai roadside to come out.
Even with that, they still say nothings wrong... Im so annoyed over this.

I will never buy another Hyundai again. I will keep spreading the word on how crappy their service is along with the car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the same issue, although not as often. About 2-3 times a year, my car won't start or it'll stall right after starting. Then I have to shut off, wait a little bit, and help it start by pressing the gas as the car is starting. Once the car starts rolling, everything is fine. A little annoying, but it happens so infrequently that I don't think about it much.

Maybe it is the fuel as some suggests. Maybe something else. But it is not worth my time to go to the dealership and wait. Hopefully this will happen less frequently in the future.
Same issue here, about as often as you maybe 2-3 times a year or so it will not want to start. It always eventually starts after awhile of cranking and is fairly rare. The only thing I have noticed is it seems to happen more frequently if I drive a really short distance like say start it up move it around in the drive way then shut it back off I will have a higher chance of having the issue.

I haven't worried about it too much though as it always eventually will start up and its rare enough it isn't a huge deal to me.

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
Same issue here, about as often as you maybe 2-3 times a year or so it will not want to start. It always eventually starts after awhile of cranking and is fairly rare. The only thing I have noticed is it seems to happen more frequently if I drive a really short distance like say start it up move it around in the drive way then shut it back off I will have a higher chance of having the issue.

I haven't worried about it too much though as it always eventually will start up and its rare enough it isn't a huge deal to me.
Yes I have seen the same issue if I move the car from garage to driveway then start it again a few mins later. It doesn't happen every time though so I assume it's a quirk of the engine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe I'm getting Arco-paranoid but ...

I used to use Arco gas almost exclusively. I had some starting issues, including the comment I left above. The car only stalled like 2-3 times a year, but all the other times, the sound of the car starting sounded weak, like it's barely starting.

I have since moved to a new residence, and the nearest gas stations are a Chevron and a Mobil, so I pretty much use one of these two only. I have had no issues with starting now. Everytime I push the start button, the engine starts right away and it sounds really strong. Maybe it's the gas ... maybe it's the new environment (moved from Pasadena, CA to Rancho Cucamonga, CA).

*shrug*

·
Registered
1 Posts
Engine just stops

I had the same problem, I put car on reverse and the engine just stopped, I start the car and in couple minutes the engine stops.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts