Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is another "car won't start" thread. My Limited purchased 25 months ago won't start. Battery is fine, starter is fine. Engine tries to turn with battery, starter but not on it's own.

Does anyone have additional troubleshooting tips to share?

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
This is another "car won't start" thread. My Limited purchased 25 months ago won't start. Battery is fine, starter is fine. Engine tries to turn with battery, starter but not on it's own.

Thanks,
Adam
Take it that it also won't start by jumping? And when you say won't start, is the engine turning over at all with the starter? You say it tries to turn, does that mean it's cranking but just not firing?

·
Registered
952 Posts
With Key on Engine off Check engine light should be on. While trying to crank the engine the Check engine light should go out. Indicating the ECM is seeing RPM signal from Crank / cam sensor. Which should indicate spark is occurring. But a guarantee spark is occurring.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
With Key on Engine off Check engine light should be on. While trying to crank the engine the Check engine light should go out. Indicating the ECM is seeing RPM signal from Crank / cam sensor. Which should indicate spark is occurring. But a guarantee spark is occurring.
Wonder if it's a Limited with one of those push button start systems? Can those throw a wrench in the works too?

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts

Thanks,
Adam
I am completely confused by your post. The engine tries to turn with battery, starter but not on its own.??????

I'm guessing but perhaps your neutral safety switch is bad or not adjusted properly or you don't have it in neutral or park. Or, if you have keyless start perhaps you aren't depressing the brake fully.

If your battery is OK, it should have at least 9.5 volts as the engine is being cranked. It'll probably be higher, actually. Just connect any cheap voltmeter to the terminals as someone tries to start it. If it falls below this, the battery could be bad (it happens) or the starter is drawing too much current.

I wouldn't think this would be a difficult problem to run down. Isn't this covered by your warranty????

·
Registered
66 Posts
Try this tip from Sbr711 from a previous car wont start post: hope it works for you.
..................................................................................................................................

Just walk outside and try it..

Lock with remote

Open door with key (1 twist), and open door,, ,ah have alarm,,, put key in ignition cylinder and try to to start,, probably wont crank.

Step out and put key in door, and rotate 2x to unlock again, alarm likely cease noise, and try ignition cylinder again, likely crank and fire

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This vehicle does not have a push button start, just a regular key ignition.

Yesterday evening, my in-laws came over to help troubleshoot and they even thought there was some issue with the engine, not the battery or starter.

I tried again this morning and was able to start the car with no additional assistance (e.g. jump, battery charge) and was able to drive to work. In hindsight, I wish I could have video'd the non-start to provide some evidence that my claim wasn't crazy. :)

I'm still planning on dropping my Elantra off at the dealer Tuesday morning to see if they can find anything.

Thanks for all the help everyone,
Adam

·
22,793 Posts
I'm still planning on dropping my Elantra off at the dealer Tuesday morning to see if they can find anything.

Thanks for all the help everyone,
Adam
Good idea. They can see if the computer threw a code. Might be helpful. Probably just a tired gremlin that crawled in to nap, then moved on to someone else's vehicle down the street. Or, it could have been one of your in-laws "laying hands on it," and cured it of that dreaded affliction.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good idea. They can see if the computer threw a code. Might be helpful. Probably just a tired gremlin that crawled in to nap, then moved on to someone else's vehicle down the street. Or, it could have been one of your in-laws "laying hands on it," and cured it of that dreaded affliction.
Haha! Maybe the gremlin bailed when my in-laws came to look at the Elantra?

I brought my Elantra in for the MPG reimbursement in mid-October. Dealer also applied two Campaigns as part of my service visit:
1. Muffler Clamp Replacement
2. ECM Update

I'm wondering if my issue is related to the ECM update?

Also - Doesn't the check engine light turn on whenever a code is thrown?

Adam

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Also - Doesn't the check engine light turn on whenever a code is thrown?
It does but the error must show up so many times in sequence without interruption; usually two or three ignition cycles so a non-recurring fault will not trip the system the first time out. However the first time a code shows up, the computer marks it as a pending fault so if it shows up again in the future, it will know to trip the CEL. Some OBDII scanners can read pending codes, others cannot and the pending code will be stored for around forty ignition cycles.

·
22,793 Posts
It does but the error must show up so many times in sequence without interruption; usually two or three ignition cycles so a non-recurring fault will not trip the system the first time out. However the first time a code shows up, the computer marks it as a pending fault so if it shows up again in the future, it will know to trip the CEL. Some OBDII scanners can read pending codes, others cannot and the pending code will be stored for around forty ignition cycles.
Just reading this one thread, Andrew, tells me you're light-years smarter than any of those clowns that Hyundai has working their 800# phone center. You missed your calling, son. ;)

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Just parroting what my dealer told me years ago, sir. :)

·
22,793 Posts
Just parroting what my dealer told me years ago, sir. :)
Well, sir, the fact that you remembered it and stated it so eloquently, makes me jealous. I used to be able to do that...when all of my cylinders in the memory banks were firing. I've noticed a distinct miss in the firing sequence lately. :eek: There's even an occasion backfire thru the exhaust when least expected! :blush:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Hey Rich, if the engine was throwing a code wouldn't the CEL come on as a warning/notification? I mean when it was actually running again? I know it's on by default when it's not starting ;)

·
22,793 Posts
Hey Rich, if the engine was throwing a code wouldn't the CEL come on as a warning/notification? I mean when it was actually running again? I know it's on by default when it's not starting ;)
That's a great question. I can't answer it. But it does cause me to re-think something I read when my shifter assembly was replaced last week. The tech noted the replacement. (Did a fabulous job, too!!!) There was a line on the work order stating:

"1 46700-3Y100 LEVER ASSY-ATM
43421RQ0 DIAGNOSTIC TOOL OPERATION
REPLACED SHIFT LEVER ASSY AND CLEARED CODES TO RESOLVE ISSUE AT THIS TIME."

If it threw a code because it wouldn't allow me access to manually select my gears, shouldn't it have indicated something on the dash? Never saw anything to indicate something was amiss. The only reason I knew that it had failed occurred when I tried to "out-think" the tranny and shift over to maintain 6th gear and keep it from downshifting to 5th on a slight incline at 60-70 mph.

This shifter assembly is an injection-molded plastic component. Maybe the switch inside has a link-up to the ECM? I honestly don't know, and I didn't think to ask the tech until I had read the work order at home. I know the car continually monitors a lot of going's-on while running, but this staggers my imagination. :unsure:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Picked up my Elantra this morning. Service rep said that there were no error codes thrown and they were unable to reproduce the problem. Their advice was to have my vehicle immediately towed in if this were to occur again.

I hope those gremlins never show up again.

Adam

·
Registered
639 Posts
If it threw a code because it wouldn't allow me access to manually select my gears, shouldn't it have indicated something on the dash? Never saw anything to indicate something was amiss.
Speaking from experience over the last 3 months from major issues with our now traded (for a 2011 Nissan 370Z!) 2008 Nissan Versa which were all related to problems with the CVT transmission, there are "soft codes" that are stored in the computer with no Check Engine Light displayed, and "hard codes" that do "throw a Check Engine Light".

The "soft codes" on the car indicated transmission speed sensor and instrument cluster issues among other things, which were all replaced with no success, and the car was finally repaired after another new transmission was installed 6 months after the original was replaced. Thankfully, Nissan picked up the tab for most of the parts and labor.

Long story with very happy ending for me when I traded it in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra with 64k miles. One month ago, my car would not start. I had AAA check the battery and it was fine. 30 minutes after it initially would not start, I tried again and it started up just fine. A week later, I had the same problem and took it to the dealer for service. They replaced the starter and I hoped that that would solve the problem, but it did not. 3 weeks later I had the same problem. I took it back to the dealer and they could not replicate the non-start problem. Help! I have heard of others that have this problem, but no one seems to have a solution.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra with 64k miles. One month ago, my car would not start. I had AAA check the battery and it was fine. 30 minutes after it initially would not start, I tried again and it started up just fine. A week later, I had the same problem and took it to the dealer for service. They replaced the starter and I hoped that that would solve the problem, but it did not. 3 weeks later I had the same problem. I took it back to the dealer and they could not replicate the non-start problem. Help! I have heard of others that have this problem, but no one seems to have a solution.
Maybe it's tied into that poor grounding issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts