Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

I just started hearing a loud click when I change from park to reverse and from reverse to drive. If I keep moving the knob between those three spots with my foot on the break and hand break off, I hear a loud click at each spot. Hard to describe... anyway, this only happens when I first start the car, by the time I get to work if I try doing that when I park there is no loud click sound. The thing is, I dont know if this was always happening and I just noticed it now, or if it just started. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Change the washer between CV joint end and wheel brg.. original was plastic, replacement is steel I think.. TSB I think, but part dept should have no issue getting a pair if not on shelf currently

Reactions: Morsel

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Ok,

I just started hearing a loud click when I change from park to reverse and from reverse to drive. If I keep moving the knob between those three spots with my foot on the break and hand break off, I hear a loud click at each spot. Hard to describe... anyway, this only happens when I first start the car, by the time I get to work if I try doing that when I park there is no loud click sound. The thing is, I dont know if this was always happening and I just noticed it now, or if it just started. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Member SBR711 is correct. There is a TSB out on this issue. I had the same problem. The Axle Nuts were being assembled with plastic washers behind them, so they loosen, causing the loud clunking sound. The fix is to replace the plastic axle nut washers with metal ones.

The specific TSB is, 12-DS-001 (SEE ATTACHED FILE) to your vehicle. It states the plastic washers are to be replaced with metal ones to rectify this issue along with detailed instructions for the technicians. Oddly, they don't seem to care enough at the local dealer level to look this stuff up but as an enthusiast, we find it. I had the exact same problem on my Elantra. They kept re-torquing the axle nuts and then I pushed the TSB. It's been months without issue. PROBLEM FIXED!!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Member SBR711 is correct. There is a TSB out on this issue. I had the same problem. The Axle Nuts were being assembled with plastic washers behind them, so they loosen, causing the loud clunking sound. The fix is to replace the plastic axle nut washers with metal ones.

The specific TSB is, 12-DS-001 (SEE ATTACHED FILE) to your vehicle. It states the plastic washers are to be replaced with metal ones to rectify this issue along with detailed instructions for the technicians. Oddly, they don't seem to care enough at the local dealer level to look this stuff up but as an enthusiast, we find it. I had the exact same problem on my Elantra. They kept re-torquing the axle nuts and then I pushed the TSB. It's been months without issue. PROBLEM FIXED!!
Thanks!!! I'm in Canadda though, a TSB works worldwide right? Hopefully they can fix this issue quickly as I know Hyundai has a reputation for having parts that are back ordered. Btw what's a washer? I tried googling it but what keeps showing up are washing machines lol :grin2:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
A washer, in this case, is a circular metal disk of a given thickness with a center hole punched into it with a diameter slightly larger than the threaded bolt on your car's front axle. The problem with the plastic one is that they become compressed, so the axle nut becomes loose over time. Poor design. Hyundai tried to save a few pennies. Yes, the TSB should apply in Canada I imagine. Just print it out and bring it to the dealer. To see what a washer looks like , Google nut, bolt and washer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A washer, in this case, is a circular metal disk of a given thickness with a center hole punched into it with a diameter slightly larger than the threaded bolt on your car's front axle. The problem with the plastic one is that they become compressed, so the axle nut becomes loose over time. Poor design. Hyundai tried to save a few pennies. Yes, the TSB should apply in Canada I imagine. Just print it out and bring it to the dealer. To see what a washer looks like , Google nut, bolt and washer.
Do you know if this is a safety issue or not? I've just called a few hyundais and they're all fully booked. I'm planning to get this issue fixed for sure, but I just want to know if my car is dangerous to drive or not:surprise:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
No safety concern, just poor fitting parts in the gross extent.. Use part number for washer as seen in the bulletin and buy that part (2 of them)..

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Do you know if this is a safety issue or not? I've just called a few hyundais and they're all fully booked. I'm planning to get this issue fixed for sure, but I just want to know if my car is dangerous to drive or not:surprise:
This is how it was explained to me by the dealer's senior ASE certified tech:

Safety concern in the short term - NO. Long term - YES.

Reasoning - The Axle nut was designed to hold the axle in place within Hyundai designed tolerances. This is why there is a torque specification on nearly everything from lug nuts to head bolts. The noise you hear is the axle engaging (shifting back and forth) as you change from drive to reverse. The more wear you put on something loose, over time (a long time perhaps), the higher the rate of failure of adjacent components. So at this point all you need is the TSB applied, but if you let it go for say a year or so, you might end up needing a new axle, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much if you have to wait a week or so for a dealer to free up an appointment. You probably notice it most if parked on a hill, or stopped on an incline. When you move forward again, the clunk will occur again and go away once the initial torque has been applied.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was wondering if this sort of thing (CV washer replacement) is covered by powertrain warranty? I am at 85K :D

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I was wondering if this sort of thing (CV washer replacement) is covered by powertrain warranty? I am at 85K :D
It's an axle nut washer and replaced via TSB. If you are the original owner, no problem. If not, powertrain warranty expires at 60k, so you may have to pay.

My suggestion: print out a copy of the TSB from the post above and bring it to your local dealer. Maybe they will work with you in good faith. Best Case = FREE. Good Faith = Decent Discount. Worst Case = Full Price Repair.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It's an axle nut washer and replaced via TSB. If you are the original owner, no problem. If not, powertrain warranty expires at 60k, so you may have to pay.

My suggestion: print out a copy of the TSB from the post above and bring it to your local dealer. Maybe they will work with you in good faith. Best Case = FREE. Good Faith = Decent Discount. Worst Case = Full Price Repair.
Thought powertrain was 100K? Anyway, I may take it to the dealer, we'll see. Not impressed with the few things I've had any of them do so far.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Odd how the US has certain things covered at certain mileage, yet in Australia it's a flat out 5 year warranty that covers anything at any mileage!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thank you for the pictures in sequence about the 2012 elantra.I had the same problem it was an easy fix. I
had to get the washers from a dealer and I paid around $9.00 for each wheel which was not bad and no more clicking noise. I originally thought that there were problems in the transmission but thankfully that was not the case

1 - 16 of 16 Posts