P2196 sensor signal stuck rich bank 1 sensor 2

P0304 cylinder 3 misfire

110k miles original owner has always ran great

any thoughts

[email protected]

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
You'll want to start with the misfire. I think you mis-typed. PO304 is number 4 misfire and PO303 is number 3 misfire.

I would put new plugs and wires on if they have never been done. This may fix all the codes. Misfires can throw fuel trim and related codes.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
new user here from Md 2012 Elantra engine check light came on

runs rough and misses a lot happened in a couple days

ODB codes are

P2096 port catalytic fuel trim system too lean

P2196 sensor signal stuck rich bank 1 sensor 2

P0304 cylinder 3 misfire

110k miles original owner has always ran great

any thoughts

[email protected]
No location seen in profile under username in box there at left,,, so,,, I will venture you likely a USA or Canada car (global web site) based on DTC posted --

LOCATION ??

Drives 2012 Elantra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

USA,, recall PCM update for all UD/MD Elantra for the post cat lean condition

Canada, has same update from what been posted by our Canadian users

I would start there and verify PCM has the latest software install before going out and hanging parts

We didnt by chance refuel with E-85 did we ?? (assuming USA VIN),, seen that give Lean Post cat before

P0304 is a cylinder 4 misfire detect,, does this thing actually have a misfire ??

Take it out and drive it like you stole it for couple minute,,, put the hammer down from a stop and see if it belch a big cloud of white / blue smoke,, if yes, drive hard for bit with hard accell to clear the intake and exhaust of oil

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
No location seen in profile under username in box there at left,,, so,,, I will venture you likely a USA or Canada car (global web site) based on DTC posted --

LOCATION ??

Drives 2012 Elantra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

USA,, recall PCM update for all UD/MD Elantra for the post cat lean condition

Canada, has same update from what been posted by our Canadian users

I would start there and verify PCM has the latest software install before going out and hanging parts

We didnt by chance refuel with E-85 did we ?? (assuming USA VIN),, seen that give Lean Post cat before

P0304 is a cylinder 4 misfire detect,, does this thing actually have a misfire ??

Take it out and drive it like you stole it for couple minute,,, put the hammer down from a stop and see if it belch a big cloud of white / blue smoke,, if yes, drive hard for bit with hard accell to clear the intake and exhaust of oil

He says it's misfiring and it does have a nisfire code. Why would you tell him to drive it like that? Clear the intake and exhaust of oil? I'm not trying to be a smart ass just wondering where your thinking is coming from.
Not a good idea to drive around with a misfire. It can ruin the cat. If he had carbon problems there's a much better way to deal with it than the old school 'run the **** out of it'. Unleaded fuel doesn't have near the problems with build up.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Not called if misfire is flagged "ACTIVE",, or "HISTORY",, not stated if engine is misfiring while running currently

1.8 UD/MD Elantra has nice habit of collecting oil mist from PCV in the intake manifold, over time with a "babied car",, the mist collect enough over time to fill bottom of surge tank with raw liquid oil.... with enough oil, it will start to get drawn into a runner into cylinder, hence misfire DTC stored..

I get ticket for MIL on a UD/MD Elantra,, hop in car start up and run fine into shop,, scan, find misfire DTC flagged as HISTORY,, I am heading out for a quick drive.. I get out on street and accell, get out of 1st into 2nd, and lay into throttle,, it'll start to go,,, stumble with flat spot, then start to wind up with big ole bank of white thick fog behind me,, intake full of oil and got into chamber to make misfire DTC.. now I have to drive the car to finish clear oil from intake,, and burn oil out of catalyst till I see no more remaining blue

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Not called if misfire is flagged "ACTIVE",, or "HISTORY",, not stated if engine is misfiring while running currently

1.8 UD/MD Elantra has nice habit of collecting oil mist from PCV in the intake manifold, over time with a "babied car",, the mist collect enough over time to fill bottom of surge tank with raw liquid oil.... with enough oil, it will start to get drawn into a runner into cylinder, hence misfire DTC stored..

I get ticket for MIL on a UD/MD Elantra,, hop in car start up and run fine into shop,, scan, find misfire DTC flagged as HISTORY,, I am heading out for a quick drive.. I get out on street and accell, get out of 1st into 2nd, and lay into throttle,, it'll start to go,,, stumble with flat spot, then start to wind up with big ole bank of white thick fog behind me,, intake full of oil and got into chamber to make misfire DTC.. now I have to drive the car to finish clear oil from intake,, and burn oil out of catalyst till I see no more remaining blue
Wow....I guess it's job security. That will ruin the cat. Why not take it apart and clean it properly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys i'm going to replace the plugs which are oldamd i did but the upstream 02 sensor
the OEM sensor has yellow red gray black and white wires

the new universal bosch has fourwires two white a gray and black

the instructions don't help much either

yes it was a mistype on the cylinder misfire code

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Throw plugs and wires on it and see what you get. The O2 sensor may not be bad.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,312 Posts
the upstream 02 sensor the OEM sensor has yellow red gray black and white wires....the new universal bosch has fourwires two white a gray and black
I suspect that will be the wrong sensor for your engine.
The universal sensor sounds like a narrow band O2. I'm pretty sure your engine needs a wide band sensor upstream of the cat.

Your trouble codes seem point to the downstream sensor so I'm not sure why you'd want to replace the upstream one anyway?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i took the wrong sense back and took it in

diagnosis

upstream and down stream 02 sensors bad

they said it has california emmissions so parts are more two coils bad new air filter

and 968.00

also said ecm needs to be reprogrammed but only at dealer

Ouch

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Seems your going to do what you want regardless. I'm done here

1 - 11 of 11 Posts