Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago when it got really cold here (-10 F) my 2012 Elantra would not start. All the lights and fans worked but the engine would not even crank. Jumping did not help. later in the day it started right up. It did this for about 3 days in a row. I chalked it up to the cold because something different would start it each time. I replaced the battery and it worked perfect for about a week. Then it got cold again and wouldn't start one morning. I put it in neutral and it started. That same fix didn't work this morning. I have had the new battery checked and it is not drained.

When it does start it doesn't crank slow or for an extended amount of time, it just starts right up. Once it starts for the day I haven't had any issues turning it off and on, until it sits over night.

My only thoughts are a possible loose wire/bad connection. Or something wrong with the starter. The cold always seems to be the culprit so is there something in my vehicle that could be getting to cold to even crank the engine?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,294 Posts
Did you try that relay bypass test I suggested? Did that make it crank over?

·
Registered
38 Posts
For a few years now, every once in a while (maybe twice a year), the car just won't start -- it's like it has a dead battery. There is no rhyme or reason to it -- its happened on warm days, hot days, cool days, cold days, dry days, wet days -- it's happened after not driving the car for a couple of days, after driving the car for an hour and a half and then stopping for 10 minutes, and it's happened after driving the car for 5 minutes and stopping for a half hour. Jumping the car always solved the problem -- and then there would be no more issue for months. Battery was always fine. Took the car to the dealer -- they had it for three days -- could not recreate the problem or figure it out.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
It it's an automatic, look to see if the P- for park, is lit up. Our 2013 did this, and it turned out to be the inhibitor switch. I think there was even a recall, on this.

·
Registered
403 Posts
There are a many websites and info out there that will help you diagnose no crank, no start situations. Best thing to do is get a wiring diagram of the ignition system and look at everything that's involved. There are quite a few things in between the ignition switch and starter so pick a section and examine it.

Something intermittent like that is still possibly the Gear Selector Range Switch. If the contacts are worn, the heat/cold cycles will do some screwy things with the contacts so take it off and see what it looks like and if it needs replacement. Check relay as @AUTOSPARK suggested with jumper or test light to make sure it's getting engaged (you can also do a relay swap to rule it out). Check for good ground in/around starter and a good + connection at the starter. Any sign of corrosion/green fuzzies or burnt areas could be the problem. Voltage drop and resistance tests are also good to rule out wiring. If no power is being sent to the starter solenoid, work your way up from there.

I'm assuming you're in the US. If you know enough to take the starter out, you can get it tested for free at places like AutoZone, Advance or O'Reilly's. Same with your battery and alternator if you ever need it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts